Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:49 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

I was talking to someone who does dog rescue & fostering about the idea of fostering a dog. She seemed to laugh at the idea since I've only ever owned cats (for more than 20 years). I'd love to foster dogs and think I'd do a good job. I couldn't seem to convince her that a cat owner could also be a good dog owner.

Do dog "people" just feel superior to cat people? What is it that makes them feel superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I hope she wasn't in charge of the place. That's just silly. There must be someplace else you can ask.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
This should be interesting...

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I was talking to someone who does dog rescue & fostering about the idea of fostering a dog. She seemed to laugh at the idea since I've only ever owned cats (for more than 20 years). I'd love to foster dogs and think I'd do a good job. I couldn't seem to convince her that a cat owner could also be a good dog owner.

Do dog "people" just feel superior to cat people? What is it that makes them feel superior?
It's just a case where one does not understand the other. I find that cat owners generally feel superior to dog owners too.

It's like people who like winter better than summer and people who like summer better than winter. Or ocean lovers versus mountain lovers. Each one thinks the other one is nuts.

20yrsinBranson
ocean loving, summer loving cat person

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:

isolated incident.

It is 100% completely the opposite. Dog owners take great pride and RESPONSIBILITY for their choice of species. They don;t feel their choice of animal has any superior rights over any other animal. Cat owners on the other hand, only care about their cat and as far as they are concerned, their cat is the god almighty king over all and they have every right to do what they want, where they want and how they want, and anyone who so much as say boo about it is an evil hate hater.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I think this is all baloney. I own both, do I feel superior to myself?
Seriously, the only reason why she might have laughed is if all the cat owners she's familiar with have barn cats, or otherwise feel being a cat owner means plunk the food down, open the door to let them out, and call it a day. Anyway, I think most cat and dog lovers respect each other, even if they don't want to make the same choice of pet.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
I have both and can say without a doubt that my cats feel superior to my dogs, my wife and myself.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Do dog owners feel superior to cat owners?
Feel? Feel? Chicks feel. That must be a cat thing.

Quote:
As an owner? Of course you can and I bet you'll be wonderful too.
But w/r/t fostering... that is a horse of a different color.
It's really not for newbies.

hth

Old 10-20-2011, 03:46 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Feel? Feel? Chicks feel. That must be a cat thing.

As an owner? Of course you can and I bet you'll be wonderful too.
But w/r/t fostering... that is a horse of a different color.
It's really not for newbies.

hth
I can see your point, and that's what I was hoping for in this thread. Do you care to elaborate on why someone like me would not be a good first time dog foster parent? I can guess why but I'd rather let you share your own opinion.

Thanks.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think this is all baloney. I own both, do I feel superior to myself?
Your arguments with yourself must be hysterical!

Quote:
I couldn't seem to convince her that a cat owner could also be a good dog owner.
She's the one with the problem, not you.

That being said, I don't know if I'd be good at fostering dogs. Not because I don't like them or wouldn't take good care of them. I've just never owned a dog, and therefore don't have experience caring for a dog. Fosters often come with multiple issues, and it probably would be best for the dog if someone like me wasn't learning on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets