U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 41,095 times

Advertisements

He's a very tiny mouse and not a baby (here's a video of a dwarf mouse for reference, he is this tiny):

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYOPVXCQJGI[/url]

I caught him from a sticky trap and freed him with oil. He was drenched in it so I waited until his fur cleaned itself of the oil; he's very fluffy now. It's been almost 2 weeks since I caught him. Since it's the middle of winter, and it was well below 10 degrees for a couple days since, I kept him in a big white box with water and feeding him once a day or sometimes twice, a toilet paper tube and two socks he loves to sleep in. I was thinking about releasing him when the weather gets a bit warmer and he can find food. But I feel he may become conditioned to being fed and taken care of. I want to get him a wheel to run on because he gets very hyper and it'll give him something to do during the day or night along with chewable wood. He also poops everywhere and was thinking about potty training him, or finding a way to keep smell at bay. What kind of cage can I even get a mouse this small that he can't squeeze out of??

He's very cute and I've named him Pichu for being really tiny I just want him happy and not in that ugly box. He sniffs me a lot when I put my finger in front of him, grabbed my finger with his paws and has yet to get comfortable with me. I'm still scared he'll bite and don't wanna risk it to some extent.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 AM

14,790 posts, read 21,600,255 times
get one of those lil plastic cages with air ducts they sell at petsmart or get a hamster cage with very small bars I would think one of those would work and or maybe and aquarium with a screen lid . and use hamster bedding that is of cedar that will help with the smell and feed him hamster food it works well also check with your local pet store and see what they recommend to feed him . He is cute if he is that small ...He might not live more than about 3 yrs . no don't release him he wont know how to take care of himself just keep him as a pet and also you might want to check with your local vet as to what shots or precautions you should be taking with him . Good luck

Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 PM

29 posts, read 41,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
get one of those lil plastic cages with air ducts they sell at petsmart or get a hamster cage with very small bars I would think one of those would work and or maybe and aquarium with a screen lid . and use hamster bedding that is of cedar that will help with the smell and feed him hamster food it works well also check with your local pet store and see what they recommend to feed him . He is cute if he is that small ...He might not live more than about 3 yrs . no don't release him he wont know how to take care of himself just keep him as a pet and also you might want to check with your local vet as to what shots or precautions you should be taking with him . Good luck

Yeah you're right. And yes he is very cute and TINY I just bought him a wheel, hamster and gerbil food, a new dish for him to eat from. And about to buy him some bedding. Do you any good suggestions for what to put in his box as a base so that it doesn't smell as bad (I know it'll smell regardless but just to reduce it). And something a little cheap, I'm in college and working but I heard base and bedding add up to a lot. regarding the shots and anything else, how much do you think it would be for a mouse that tiny?

I also will have to finally tell my parents about a new member in our house. lol. Idk what was it about this one particular mouse that I just couldn't kill. Since he was drenched in oil for over a week ever since I freed him from the glue trap (he's clean now and fluffy), I heard that oil kills stuff in his fur. He's always grooming himself.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:10 PM

if it were me I would put newspaper underneath the bedding and strip it as well so that maybe some of the newspaper will absorb some of his /her urine and poopy . I think you need to talk to a vet about shots ...I don't even know if they need shots or not sorry best to check with a vet .

Old 01-21-2015, 03:12 PM

you will either have to get chlorophyll bedding or cedar bedding so that it does not smell so bad as well and remember to change often and it keeps him healthy to not live in his urine /poopy for days at a time / I used to change my hamsters bedding twice a week .

Old 01-21-2015, 03:13 PM

you could also ask the people at the vets office and or the pet store what they would recommend to do for him . thanks for finding him and taking care of him.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,259,136 times
You don't want cedar bedding. It is not good for his tiny lungs. Pine or aspen bedding is good. You can also use shredded paper or paper pellets. For a cage something made for hamsters and gerbils should be fine. A cage that is well ventilated will not smell as much as one that has solid plastic sides. It is also much healthier for him.They also enjoy chewing things like cardboard tubes from TP or paper towel rolls. A small cardboard box can make a perfect mouse house.Make sure the bedding is deep and that you clean it out often. Along with his food pellets also provide him with seeds, grass, and some fresh fruits and veggies now and then.

Rodents are very adaptable and your little friend should have no trouble at all reverting to his wild state if you eventually decide to let him go. But if you do take him far from your house to a field or wooded place s he can avoid future encounters with sticky traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets