Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 AM

218 posts, read 755,628 times

Advertisements

Plenty of deaths at one time, big news stories about the deaths, and of course plenty of lawyers, that's what. And still, people will post asking the same questions about pets with the same ailments -- in the same threads where it's already been covered!

I have a family member on this forum who's contributed links and links in threads for people asking about their dogs/cats... threads with evidence regarding detrimental effects of certain "foods". In the very same threads, the OPs & subsequent posters will still proceed to state that they're gonna pick up some food from their vet, feed "prescription" stuff. Even after all the ingredients were posted in some threads!

Yeah, she's crazy about vets selling that crap and won't let up, but for good reason. Like she says, does your human doctor push McDonalds diets on you? Think about it. it's like a doctor telling you to smoke cigarettes and selling them to you. Do the research. Those foods are PROVEN Cancer/Diabetes culprits. PROVEN. Plenty of evidence, just like the cigarette evidence. Right at your fingertips. They print warnings on cigarette packs, why not this food? It's been PROVEN.

Just lost another family member this morning. But we knew nothing about foods until 2007 either. So all our dogs & cats (four families) were eating what we thought was best, listening to the mainstream. But a couple of us tried to tell as many people as we could in real life, too, and you know what? They still fed what they fed, listened to their "vets". Even family ignored us.

It's hard in real life to show somebody the evidence because you can't "link" in real life. And they're not gonna go home, sign on, and look it up themselves, even when you give them the WWWs. But on here, how hard is it to just type in keywords to search on here or Google, or click a link provided right there in front of you?

People, you don't even have to go to the library, or buy a book. You can sit right on your fannies and type, and read at your leisure. All this information is right at your fingertips and with hi-speed -- it's quicker than light!

Why does it take a gazzillion dollars in vet bills, surgeries, drugs galore, dialysis... so much unnecessary confusion and heartbreak for people to see the light?

My sister lost her best friend just now -- she loved all her babies, but this one, this one was closer than ever. You know what? She just told me yesterday when he was in surgery that she's switching her cats to all wet. It took a year of us nagging about foods -- she'd get mad and tell to shut up already, but this did it. A Holistic vet confirmed it. She had to hear it from somebody with a Diploma who knew.

I'm not saying to follow opinions or advice. But when people post links to hard evidence and proven facts, why do so many people just ignore it?
Do we love punishment and heartbreak that much? Do we want thousands of dollars in vet bills? Do we want our pets to have Cancer and Diabetes? This can't be fun!

Why don't people confront veterinarians selling that garbage, and spread the word? Don't you see something terribly wrong with people looking out for your animals' health telling you to feed something that's detrimental to their health? It's not medicine! It's garbage! It says so right on the ingredient labels. How many drugged up pets have to die prematurely for this to sink in?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s171/MyCritters/sargeprecious.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by WhatSayYou; 02-01-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
I hear your frustrations and pain and totally feel it too. It's truly hard to know the truth and try your best to educate others, but bottom line is they have to make the choice to follow through with it or not. sometimes, they have to learn the hard way. So sad to say, but it's the way it is. Doesn't make it any less of a struggle for people like us who know better. It's the same thing about spaying, neutering, not chaining dogs, keeping cats inside, food nutrition, training, abuse cases, breed bans, we can go on for days...

Sigh, the only thing I feel is our best option is to continue on getting the best information on teh subject and giving every opportunity for those ingnorant to listen. Being an example is also the best other influence you have. And when "the situation", whatever it is, happens again. I can go even deeper, but that would be off subject.

So, be strong friend and know you aren't alone in the fight. WE all have our armor and weapons on the ready! [img]http://******************/star-wars-smiley-5472.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2008, 03:00 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I learn a lot from the other members of this forum, but I have to say it's still confusing at times.

I feed my dogs prescription dog food from my vet because I figure he knows best. I trust him to perform surgery on my dogs, why wouldn't I trust him about nutrition?

That being said, since the food recall issues and the many posts we've had on the DOGS forum, I've been rethinking it......is this really what is best for them?

My dogs are healthy - one has a thyroid and heart issue, but that is not due to his food - in fact, he became healthier and has stayed at a stable weight since switching him to this food.

All of my dogs (3) are at very good weights, their coats are gorgeous, no skin issues, etc. So, it seems they are thriving on the food.

I always want to do better by them, but it would seem there is currently NO food on the market that is good. Do I need to switch to raw homemade food? That's a lot of work and these are not my only pets I have to care for, not to mention, I am a vegetarian so meat is not something I buy and prepare anyway.

I don't have any real answers, only questions, and I would think there are others in the same position.

Also - the dogs in the picture are very cute and look like nice dogs, but from the pic they appear overweight.....are these dogs being fed a commercial diet or one of the other diets you're recommending, WhatSayYou?

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Sorry about the loss.

The thing is, I find pet ownership seems very complicated right now. When I was a kid we had a dog who lived 12 or more years. My parents fed him 'gainsburgers' and he was very, very healthy. They've always had poodles. Their other poodle lived also till 13 or so. I don't recall what he ate. Neither dog was at the vet often. (I was young or in college so I don't know details about shots & so on.)

Our dogs were loved but not 'froo frooed' liked dogs today. Pet beds, special coddling...I mean, I love pets and we will soon get a dog (rescue puppy) and I intend to take care of her well but not go nuts about it.

When we had a budgie (parakeet) we had her on the best food possible. Then again, a bag lasted about a month.

I just wonder...when did this all become about $$?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM

218 posts, read 755,628 times
Thank You, GypsySoul.
The thing with foods which actually contain meat (not full of corn, peanut Hull and Soy which are proven allergens) is, they may be a little more $, but you need less of it for your pet because they maintain the nutrients -- don't just poop it out, all waste and junk fillers. The vets who sell food jack up the priice, but it's still the same corn, peanut hull and soy laden garbage.

We always fed MightyDog. But times have changed. And, after all the rersearch, learned so much.... they're putting more and more cheap garbage in the foods now -- more than ever before, cheaper China imported junk. We learned even more when Dr Hodgkins testified at the Hearings in 2007. (Web Page Under Construction)

As for the dogs being overweight,. um well thank you for the enlightment. He's not overweight anymore because he's DEAD. She just switched to a new food when the recalls hit and people got on here and did the research. I'm not recommending any diets -- people can feed whatever they wish to, but we avoid the bad ones because theose ingredients are proven cancer, diabetes....culprits. But don't take my word for it. Like I said, it's too easy to GOOGLE the facts.
Right on here are threads with all the wonderful foods available. Just search for Cleosmom's posts.

All one has to do is look at the ingredients in that vet-sold "food". They are doctors of medicine -- not nutritionalists. All these facts have been posted in many threads on here. We learned the hard way to feed our pets foods which these animals should be eating. NOT Corn, soy and all that cancer causing garbage.

For the overweight dog up there, it was too late. Cancer of the spleen. second dog in our family to die from this. We had NO IDEA about foods, and he was eating the same stuff -- with same ingredients the vets hawk.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatSayYou View Post

As for the dogs being overweight,. um well thank you for the enlightment. He's not overweight anymore because he's DEAD.
That's why I was asking - I didn't know, I was asking for clarification as to whether you were showing us a picture of dogs that you considered "healthy" or "unhealthy" since your post didn't make the purpose of the picture clear (at least to me). I wasn't trying to upset you, sorry if I did.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
So, what do you (or others) recommend for dog food? I know the rescue has been feeding my future puppy 'low grade' food because that is all they can afford, bless them.

I am not well off myself..I'm actually looking for work, but I can't wait till my son is 20 till I get a dog finally...we've already waited too long...anyhow, I am going to try Canidae if it is not too expensive (I went on the site where they rate dog foods). We have a decent pet store (just ignore the puppies in cages..grrrr) here that sells it. Actually we have several.

I am really shocked by what they put in the dog food (again, reading at that site). Meanwhile we have humans dying of bad food...

People do need to wake up. It seems like so many people are zombies in their lives and that is how 'big business' fools us with 'bad' food (for people and animals).

Old 02-05-2008, 07:04 AM

61 posts, read 251,294 times
I recently switched to Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog, and I have never used anything from the vet.

My mother used to be a Vet tech, and now breeds and shows Irish Wolf Hounds and she always said Science Diet and Iams and most other things you see at the vet are pretty much cattle feed and not fit for a dog!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets