Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 05:23 PM

152 posts, read 185,719 times

Advertisements

Been thinking of adopting another cat,
but don't want heartache once it passes away. last one was hard since we had to put down due continues problems of urination blockage. had to pay over $1500 for surgeries etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
We adopted two kittens about 3 1/2 weeks after I had to put my 15 year old cat down. It was absolutely right for me at the time. As I had always wanted an orange kitty, when two of them showed up on our local shelter's website, I couldn't help but feel that it was meant to be.

With that said, I can't say that I would do the same again, in the same timeframe.

I really do believe that one knows when, and if, they are ready to adopt another pet.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think it's different for everyone.
I didn't think I wanted another dog again...but then time passes and you remember all the good stuff (and not just how you were wrecked at the death).

I waited a little over a year. A little sooner than I wanted, but we wanted the dog trained up before our daughter was born.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
This is our last round with animals once our three have crossed over. We are at the age that we do not want the responsibility of pets for another 10+ years and neither of us can take the heartbreak when they die.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:58 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Not only does it depend on the individual, but it can also depend upon each circumstance. Sometimes a person who decides not to get another pet for a significant amount of time after losing their last one (or if ever again), suddenly finds themselves with an animal who showed up, unplanned, and simply melted their hearts.

One dog I had died unexpectedly in her sleep, and I swore I would never have another...and for a year kept that promise. But a year later, while I was volunteering at the Humane Society, I crossed paths with a dog who felt to me like a soulmate, and after much resistance I brought her home. Kaya was with me for 14 years, and a year before she died, I decided to introduce another dog to the household while Kaya was still alive. In looking ahead, I felt that it would be very difficult for me to bring another dog home once Kaya had passed, but in bringing a young pup home while my old girl was still around, felt it might be easier. Turns out it was a great decision, as Kaya taught the pup a lot of things, kept him company while he was in his housetraining/crate stage, and the two were overall good buddies. And when Kaya did finally pass, just shy of her 16th birthday, my little pup Izzy, just turning one, helped me tremendously through the grief of losing my "heartdog".

Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I agree, this depends on the person.

I have spent a lifetime rescuing, dogs, cats, and horses and having to send them on to their ancestors, often far too soon.

I laid my two best horses to rest six months apart last year; one had been a starving rescue with an injured vertebra, when I brought him home as a seven year old.

They had been with me 24 years and 22 years; it was every bit as gut wrenching as when I laid my first two Keeper horses to rest in the 80's.

I cry at their graves, throw my shoulders back and keep going because there are always creatures on this farm that need my attention.

As someone else mentioned, I am getting too old to take on younger animals. I still have two dogs, one much younger than was my intent to rescue.

When my last two horses are gone, I will either call it quits or my equine vet and her tech have both offered to loan me a horse or two, so I can have a horse in my life to my end time. When I'm gone, or near it, they get their horses back and I can go in peace, knowing they're going back home and not to an auction

Old 01-07-2016, 07:50 AM

5 posts, read 4,476 times
My kitty is thirteen years old already and she still looks young and beautiful. Can't imagine the moment she will have to go, but well, it's a natural course of life, we all will go someday..

Old 01-10-2016, 10:28 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
When my first dog died 11 years ago, I didn't think I would adopt very soon after that. But, after 3 days of his passing, I deeply missed a presence of a pet. A week later, I brought home my 2nd dog, who is still with me.

I have since adopted other dogs who started out as fosters that were not very adoptable. So, after a year, I adopted them. I lost 2 dogs between Thanksgiving and Christmas just passed. So, I'm adopting my current foster. So, I still have my 2nd dog and my current foster. I'm guessing they'll be with me another 5 years. At that time, I may not adopt any more dogs, as I also have a 4 year old cat, and I'll be into my 60's by then.

Another option into my 60's are rats. Short life span, so I may get a couple of them.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I have two senior dogs, 10+ and I am 61 years old. These will be the last two. They are large dogs, which is my preference, but keeping up with them is difficult. The dog before them lived for 13.5 years and we got a puppy about 3 months later and added the other senior 3 years ago.

It is important for me not to have to leave a dog behind either because I have to go into assisted care type thing or die. I have seen that happen and I don't want that for any pet of mine. Two were put to sleep and the other was put to sleep and laid at the foot of the owner in the casket. Ah, no.

My dilema is that we lost our guinea pig, "Sparky" at age 5 in August of this year. I have loved guinea pigs forever but couldn't have one as a child. "Sparky" was my 3rd. I miss her. My older son's daughter, like Grandma, likes rodents.

I read once that you ask yourself whether you are actually missing having a pet rather than just missing say "Sparky" and when you resolve that to be missing a pet, you are ready. I still just want "Sparky" back. I did look just before Christmas at the babies at the pet shop but, they weren't "Sparky".

It is different for everyone. I think it gets harder as you age to watch them pass on.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:46 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
I doubt I will get anymore pets once my head passes on. I have 3 doxies all about 5 years old, a collie mix who is about 12, a new rescue someone dumped who my guess is around a year, 3 cats all around 7, 1 horse that is 20 and 1 that is 10. I do not wish to burden my kids with the responsibility of my pets once I pass on. None of them are the animal lover that I am. God willing I will outlive all these animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets