Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago when my college age cousin moved into a dorm we aquired a chinchilla. Honestly, I haven't done much research and up until the last couple of week Maria (the chinchilla) has been fine, but 2 weeks ago her teeth became overgrown (despite wood chews) and we had to take her to the vet to have them trimmed so she could eat again. Anyways, although her teeth appear to be fine at this point- she has decreased appitite and continues to have trouble eating. She still has wetness on her chest as if she is still having problems with her mouth. Of course I am taking her back to the vet- but in the mean time- do any of you have chinchillas. Is it possible that this is part of old age? What is their life expectancy??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM

269 posts, read 811,736 times
I don't know about the teeth problem, never had it with my chin but I can answer your last question. They typically live around 15 years but have been reported to live over 20. Yep, will most likely outlive your dog!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Get one of those volcanic rock things, we had one for our chinchilla and it was always chewing on it. Just an idea...

Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,226 times
Put some maple branches in her cage to chew on, for gosh sakes.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Was this an exotics vet or a regular vet that also accepted exotics like chinchillas? I'd try to find a vet via zip code search maybe online that specializes specifically in exotics & call them to get an appointment ASAP. I don't know much about chinchillas but I do know that often times regular vets will attempt to care for exotic animals and they really don't know what they are doing. If it is a teeth issue this could be very important that it is rectified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
A couple of years ago when my college age cousin moved into a dorm we aquired a chinchilla. Honestly, I haven't done much research and up until the last couple of week Maria (the chinchilla) has been fine, but 2 weeks ago her teeth became overgrown (despite wood chews) and we had to take her to the vet to have them trimmed so she could eat again. Anyways, although her teeth appear to be fine at this point- she has decreased appitite and continues to have trouble eating. She still has wetness on her chest as if she is still having problems with her mouth. Of course I am taking her back to the vet- but in the mean time- do any of you have chinchillas. Is it possible that this is part of old age? What is their life expectancy??

Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 11,777 times
Smile chinchilla teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I have two chinchillas, one is 14 the other 12. The 14 year old has had problems with her teeth for the last couple of years. ONCE THEY HAVE TEETH PROBLEMS, IT NEVER GOES AWAY. The symptoms are drowling, lack of appitite, loosing weight. The vet has to trim down the teeth. They will continue to grow the rest of the chins life. So you will have to keep taking your chin to the vet. Your vet can determine how often you will need to bring your chin in. I have to take mine in once a month. But at first, it was every other month. But as they get older, the teeth problems get worse. Not all chins develop this problem. BUT I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, THAT IF YOU DON'T TAKE YOUR CHIN IN A.S.A.P., YOUR CHIN CAN 'DIE' WITHIN A FEW DAYS TO A FEW HOURS. When they stop eating, their digestive system will shut down. I found this out the hard way and I really have to keep on top of this. I almost lost my chin a couple of times. There is not much else you can do to prevent this except ask for 'critical care', when your chin cannot chew properly. You mix it up with alittle bit of water, and usually the chin will eat it up. Otherwise, you have to 'feed' your chin.good luck!!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 11,643 times
Default please help

How much was it for you to have the teeth trimmed? I have 9 year old chinchilla and hes in horrible shape and now that i have 'some' money saved up I would like to bring him to a vet. Did they do an x-ray or anything? or just get his teeth trimmed. did they have to sedate him as well? I have 4 other chinchillas and they are healthy as can be so i dont know. I just dont want to get ripped off by a vet who thinks he can get away with it because they ' specialize' in chinchillas... All the love to you chinchilla owners <3

Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergal14 View Post
How much was it for you to have the teeth trimmed? I have 9 year old chinchilla and hes in horrible shape and now that i have 'some' money saved up I would like to bring him to a vet. Did they do an x-ray or anything? or just get his teeth trimmed. did they have to sedate him as well? I have 4 other chinchillas and they are healthy as can be so i dont know. I just dont want to get ripped off by a vet who thinks he can get away with it because they ' specialize' in chinchillas... All the love to you chinchilla owners <3
I had my chinchillas teeth trimmed yesterday, and it was approximately $77, they had to sedate her and they trimmed her bottom incisors, which were really long. Unfortunately, now she isn't hardly eating and I am having the same problem the original poster of this topic had. Except that I have no money left and there aren't any doctors around here who specialize in chinchilla care. My chinchilla is 10-12 years old and she's lost weight and looks like crap. So I am in the same boat as you.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
I have two chinchillas - one is over nine years old, the other is eight, no teeth problems as of yet, but I've tried my best in getting the best feed for them, and keeping a nize sized manzanita branch in their cage. See if you can find one online.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillygirl1 View Post
BUT I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH, THAT IF YOU DON'T TAKE YOUR CHIN IN A.S.A.P., YOUR CHIN CAN 'DIE' WITHIN A FEW DAYS TO A FEW HOURS. When they stop eating, their digestive system will shut down. I found this out the hard way and I really have to keep on top of this. I almost lost my chin a couple of times. There is not much else you can do to prevent this except ask for 'critical care', when your chin cannot chew properly. You mix it up with alittle bit of water, and usually the chin will eat it up. Otherwise, you have to 'feed' your chin.good luck!!
An inexperienced vet does more harm then good. If you chin stops eating, apply Nutri-cal (for puppies) to its teeth as soon as possible. It will lick it off and it is a great source of nutrition until the problem can be addressed. Also take a baby syringe and give your chin pedialite (or gatorade) for fluids. If it stops eating, the only way to save it is to, as chilligirl1 mentioned, feed it yourself.

I have always called chin breeders for advice, and especially to check what vets have recommended. Breeders love their chins and I have never called a breeder who was not willing to go leaps and bounds to provide me with their best insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets