Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 AM

32 posts, read 106,459 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I wanted to let you all know that we got a new puppy on Friday, the 7th of March. We had just put our Golden, Casey, down earlier in the week and were so devastated at the loss. So many posted with support and love. Thank you so much for that! I went online to petfinder just to ease the hurt and see what adoptable dogs are out there. I came across a golden pup at an animal control shelter. I called to ask about him and was told that he would be euthanized if they needed space for more dogs. OMG!!! I spoke to my co-workers, husband and family, and all agreed that if we could, we should rescue this pup. He has been such a joy! We are so thankful to have the opportunity to have this sweet angel of a pup to take care of. I think it's a great way to honor the life of Casey, who was also rescued from a dog pound. His name is HoneyBear and he loves to give puppy kisses and lay at your feet chewing his toys. He seems to be quite afraid of other dogs...I took him to a pet store and when we went in, he barked and snarled at the dogs shopping with their owners. He seemed more anxious and afraid of the dogs than anything. We hope he won't show a lot of agression...that is not a trait usually associated with the Golden temperment. But not knowing his history, there may be quite a few things we need to work on. He also does not like the car...he cries. Maybe he's never been in a car before. Poor guy sat in that cage for 2 weeks and no one came for him. So we are more than patient in letting him get acclimated to his new surroundings. I did make an appointment for a training session to address some of these behaviors, and will enroll him in puppy classes. Wish us luck that he doesn't cause total chaos around the other dogs. Would hate to get kicked out of puppy class the first day! Anyway thanks for letting me share this great news. We will always miss and love Casey, but the house is full and vibrant and alive again!Take care all...Gail B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Hi, I'm so happy you found him and what a great name!, he just sounds understandably scared and confused. Am sure he'll thrive w/ your TLC and in the classes, would just take it slow, at his pace and eventually he'll come around, one of mine (from a breeder) was very shy and barky and it took her a while, she was very nervous in the classes but got thru it fine, just needed a little confidence in trying new things. Best of luck to all of you -

Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times
Gail, I'm so happy for ya'll...I'm sure HoneyBear is understandably confused. You'll do fine in training...just be the boss and surely he will follow along! He's young...he wants to please...and treats are a great motivator for all male types!

I think this is a great way to honor Casey...bless you for taking this boy in and saving him - I hope he gives you many, many years of enjoyment!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
I knew a HoneyBear once, I always loved that name!

He's a lucky dog! Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Gail - please post pic of new puppy!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 AM

Default posting pics

Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone! I will post some pics of our new guy as soon as I figure out how to clear my digital camera (it's full). My girlfriend is coming over Saturday night and she assures me she can help clear the digital camera and help me post new pics. Will get this done ASAP. HoneyBear is as sweet as can be. Getting more comfortable each day. He's not afraid of the car now...some frosty dog treats in the back seat are all he needed to fall in love with car rides. Also have gone to the park which he loves. Have a great day all...have to get busy at work! Much love, Gail

Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,687 times
Sounds like Honeybear settling right in.Love and patience helps many animals that have been abandoned or had bad previous life.
Updates on progress always great as we get to know the pup as if were in our homes without the chewing up on things and accidents.

Honeybear be good and enjoy all the love and attention will get that is deserved.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM

Default honeybear's 1st puppy class

Holy Cow, we got through the 1st puppy class with our new pup. According to the trainer, Honeybear did really well. Apparently there are a lot of puppies who do not get along with other dogs. A young spaniel in the class had barked continually the entire hour of his 1st class. Thankfully Honeybear did not bark continually through the class....but let me tell you, he needs some work. We were treated to a nylon screen- type enclosure so he would settle down while in the presence of the other dogs (there were only 2 others). This actually worked pretty well, but we needed to distract him with treats and involve him in the "sit" and "down" commands. He learned the commands pretty quickly at home, but of course the other dogs are a huge distraction for him. We are encouraged that the trainer thinks he will do just fine. He needs to keep coming to class, and she told us to bring treats on his walks. If we encounter another dog, we're not to allow a confrontation, but change directions or distract him with a treat. This morning we had 3 episodes of a dog passing, dogs in a yard, and 3 dogs loose on the front lawn. I thought I'd have a heart attack. But Honeybear surprised me. By the last encounter, he was pretty calm...hardly barked although I know he was still inimidated. Maybe we're making progress ever so slowly. I'm thrilled he's doing better in the car now. This can be a long process.... difficult to change behaviors in a growing puppy, especially since we don't know his history. Will keep you updated on our progress. Any suggestions for socializing a pup who has fear of other dogs? Would appreciate any and all info.
Thanks everyone! Gail

Old 03-15-2008, 05:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
Gail, I would go slow, at his pace. Not sure how old he is but he's young and it sounds like he's doing all the right things (as well as you) and by socializing him the way you're doing, in time he will relax and come to enjoy the classes (at least that's my feel on it). Would just give him time. Right now I think by taking him to a doggie park, it might be overwhelming for him whereas if he's walking on a leash with you and you meetup w/ with another dog and its owner, a brief Hello would be fine (assuming both dogs are friendly, no barking or fur standing up), it's more controllable. Anyway, JMO, I'm sure he'll do fine, kudo's to you for adopting him and being so concerned for his well-being.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Gail, I would go slow, at his pace. Not sure how old he is but he's young and it sounds like he's doing all the right things (as well as you) and by socializing him the way you're doing, in time he will relax and come to enjoy the classes (at least that's my feel on it). Would just give him time. Right now I think by taking him to a doggie park, it might be overwhelming for him whereas if he's walking on a leash with you and you meetup w/ with another dog and its owner, a brief Hello would be fine (assuming both dogs are friendly, no barking or fur standing up), it's more controllable. Anyway, JMO, I'm sure he'll do fine, kudo's to you for adopting him and being so concerned for his well-being.
OP,
Congrats on your new puppy. I read your original post and know how you must feel about this little guy.

I agree about going slow on the socializing--see Honeycrisp's post.

I didn't see how old he is. But really think dog parks are a 'mixed bag'.

I wish I had not taken my young dog/puppy there.

The best experience he had was meeting an older, female Golden.
Such great dogs as I am sure you know.

(((New Puppy)))

bhs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets