Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:48 PM

5,098 posts, read 12,604,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Thanks for the info, makes me wish I could adopt another dog, but it's not possible this year. Anyway, the stray situation is bad in Texas and Florida. It makes no sense why they don't have stringent spay/neuter laws.
The fact that Texas does have such a surplus of dogs and the fact they are not all Pits or Chihuahuas like they tend to be here in CA was a blessing to me 6 yrs ago. As one of my current dogs Chaos came from a high kill shelter in the Dallas area, I saw her on line and the rest is history! There were way too many adorable dogs in that shelter. I have nothing against pits but I was looking for something with some herding breed in it as I found I missed having a herder type around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,434,465 times
Quote:
Oh that's good news, I didn't know livestock was also waiting for their families.

What a great idea to microchip your horses!
I read about a guy who had his pet python snake chipped. The da**ed thing escaped and got into a lady's house, looking to eat her rabbits. Police were called, somehow trapped it and....returned it to its owner Apparently the snake was "legal", registered, licensed, or whatever one does with a snake.....it was about 8 ft long and curled up around the homeowner's toilet!

Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 AM
KCZ

4,686 posts, read 3,690,072 times
The Houston Humane Society has been rescuing animals and providing care for them. Their FB page is here...
https://www.facebook.com/HoustonHumaneSociety/
And you can donate money or supplies here...
Houston Humane Society | Pet Rescue, Animal Shelter & Pet Adoption in Houston, TX | Giving

Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Dogs found will be held for 30 days before being up for adoption per the Houston SPCA. The Houston SPCA and the HSUS are leading/coordinating the rescue efforts for all pets and livestock. There are a couple of websites/facebook pages for people to look for their pets.

Dogs that are going up north now are dogs that were available prior to Harvey or are dogs from the Dallas/Austin/Other Metro areas that were previously up for adoption.

Rescues that were not affected by Harvey are trying to find homes other rescues for their current dogs to make room for the Harvey dogs when they're ready to be adopted.

Houston, like most of Texas had a horrible stray dog problem before Harvey. I'm willing to bet there were hundreds if not thousands of strays before the hurricane hit. Harvey made a bad situation worse.

The same is true for Florida. It's a very bad situation and coming on top of the huge rescue effort for Harvey will make things even more difficult.
I do remember someone saying in Houston the dogs found chained up without any sign of care and situations possibly abusive have been noted, and when owners arrive they'll be interviewed. And that poor dog that the one rescuer had to free with a metal snipper since he was chained so short he couldn't even sit will not be going home with his dog. They said the dog has already gone to a rescue group.

I'm glad they've finally recognized that pets are important to people and part of the family, and not just left to die. Their new policy is based on surveys of people in recent similar situations, and the number of people who will not leave if they can't take their four legged kids.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
As a person who went to rescue after katrina I can tell you our church members were outstanding . We all climbed through mud and weeds and everything else trying to get those animals to safety and some of them were trapped in houses and we had to call the police to break windows and doors down to get to those precious lives . Some of us got really nasty cuts and etc . we brought back dogs , cats and birds with us . we had a cargo van and had all our supplies of dog food , meds and etc for humans and animals we stopped in Alabama at a mom and pop hotel and those folks were precious when they saw us climb out of the van with 50+ dogs , cats and birds and said welcome and were glad you are here . God bless you .. the hotel owner and her son helped us bathe , feed and water those animals along with making sure we had extra towels and blankets for the dogs to sleep on . I think all of us slept really good that night and I'm sure after all the tragedys are over and done with all of us will sleep a lil easier . I will pray for all of the misplaced pets and humans and for their reunification as soon as possible . God bless us all .

Old 09-08-2017, 05:55 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times
We have Harvey rescue animals in Austin already. Other than being dirty and needing baths, these animals are obviously owned, loved pets as they are healthy looking and well behaved. Only one dog I know of so far had a microchip and was reunited with the dog's family this week out of hundreds of animals. It is terribly sad these animals may never be reunited with their original owners and could be if microchipped.

It would be wonderful if there was a centralized photo website of pictures of these pets for owners to look for their pets online. A huge undertaking, however. Right now, volunteers are taking care of basic needs: walking, feeding, and cleaning cages for these displaced animals.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:22 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,930,194 times
I don't see how any jackwad could leave without their pets. If you can get out of their, you can take your pets.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
Exactly - I would stay in place with my pet(s) if I couldn't take them to a shelter. People who chain their dog up in the backyard are scum. I remember seeing this during Katrina; people evacuated and left their animals behind chained up so they didn't even have a chance when the floods came. How someone could do that is beyond my comprehension. At least let them off the chain so they have some chance.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,777,068 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, makes me wish I could adopt another dog, but it's not possible this year. Anyway, the stray situation is bad in Texas and Florida. It makes no sense why they don't have stringent spay/neuter laws.
The city I live in has mandatory spay/neuter and there are still thousands of stray dogs. Unfortunately it's not that effective because it's not enforced due to lack of resources.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:44 AM

2,572 posts, read 1,650,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Exactly - I would stay in place with my pet(s) if I couldn't take them to a shelter. People who chain their dog up in the backyard are scum. I remember seeing this during Katrina; people evacuated and left their animals behind chained up so they didn't even have a chance when the floods came. How someone could do that is beyond my comprehension. At least let them off the chain so they have some chance.
Couldn't agree more. People who treat sentient animals like that are scum. IMO, chaining should be illegal, period. There are dogs who are chained up all their lives by creeps who basically want a burglar alarm. Vile!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets