Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 04:43 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

I know, super stinky versus not all that stinky.

So, I've got a male dog and two female cats. All three are relatively new to my household. I have reason to suspect that all three of them are guilty of peeing where they aren't supposed to be peeing.

Friederik (the 3-year-old dog): As far as I can tell, he always empties his bladder outside. I say this because when we first got him, he'd go pretty much anywhere he wanted to, and the volume was enormous. Unfortunately, he is still occasionally marking indoors, primarily by things that belong to the cats. I can generally guess that it's him, because it will just be a small amount of urine, not a gigantic pool like when he really decides to go #1 in earnest. I can also generally see the telltale dribble going from the object to the floor.

Allie (the 6-year-old cat): She was just recovering from having crystals in her urine when I adopted her. Her last urinalysis came back good, but she's from an abusive household and is still kind of nervous and unsure of her place in the household. I know for a fact that she peed one place (I'm too embarrassed to even say where it was) because she is the only one of my pets that is able to jump as high as where I discovered the pee. She does use her litter box frequently, but since I know she's been guilty on at least one occasion, she's also a suspect.

Samantha (the 16-week-old kitten): I'm pretty sure she was the one who peed all over a container of clean laundry waiting to be folded a couple of weeks ago. I'd seen her sitting on the pile, whereas neither Friederik nor Allie had gone near it and probably would have knocked the container over had they tried to jump in it. Samantha, incidentally, was handfed by humans since she was 2-days old and would have been trained by a human to use the litter box.

I have never once witnessed Friederik, Allie or Samantha peeing where they shouldn't be, but somebody's guilty! I know cat urine stinks worse. Does it look different at all? I cleaned up a spot on my carpet yesterday with Nature's Miracle, and it just cleaned up, well... like a miracle. I tried to clean another spot on the same carpet today with Nature's Miracle, and the stain never did completely go away. Both of these stains were dry when I spotted them. I can't afford to have hidden cameras all over my house. Does dog urine clean up easier than cat urine? Is the color at all different? Is there any way at all that I can figure out who dunnit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 07:00 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
You can get a blacklight to find pee spots. I've never used one but heard they work.

https://www.chewy.com/doggone-pet-pr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Cat pee is just so strong. I had one cat that I had a lot of of problems with. I did realize that he peed in any and all box type things. I don't know if he was just stupid or confused. Laundry baskets, playing a board game couldn't leave the lid on floor he would pee in it, gift box, open dresser draws. Once when my son was little we got a refrigerator box and made a play house, great fun until Coco decided, hey a box, I'm supposed to pee in a box. I would spend a large amount of time crawling around on the floor sniffing for spots. A enzyme type treatment works best. You had to treat and keep it moist for 24 hours, cover with foil to keep from drying out. I would usually leave foil in place for a week to keep cat away also.

Coco was a sweet cat but drove me bonkers for 12 years we had him.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 PM

Just bumping this, hoping for some more replies.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
OdoBan sold at Home Depot in a gal. jug. You can dilute it or use it straight. Both a disintectant and a deodorizer. Vets use it in kennels. Miracle product to me!

Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
As to who did it. I don't think there is a visual way of looking at the stain to find out who did it, cat pee has a very strong ammonia smell, dogs not as bad. With cats have more than one cat box, maybe it different areas might help. The cat with crystals problems may be more prone to pee where they shouldn't, possibly. Unless dog is crated at all times except when you are there, but a dog would probably leave bigger puddles, unless just marking.

Your only definitive answer would be to catch in act or video evidence.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
OdoBan sold at Home Depot in a gal. jug. You can dilute it or use it straight. Both a disintectant and a deodorizer. Vets use it in kennels. Miracle product to me!
I've been using Nature's Miracle. That really seems to get rid of the odor, but that's not the real problem. The problem is the marking, even if I'm able to get rid of the stain and the smell.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:45 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,995,260 times
I've never been able to tell the difference from looking at the pee. But the odor, oh my, yep, no problem telling which is cat and which is dog. Once a cat pees in a spot indoors - it is inclined to re-use the same spot, BUT you can counter this by extreme cleaning of the spot. I've used Nature's Miracle, but my old-time, long-time go to is white vinegar. Water then white vinegar, and several times. In extreme cases, I've used one of those grocery store steam carpet cleaners, and I've done a wash, rinse, vinegar rinse, water rinse on the affected area.

With area rug/carpets, I've also taken them outside and hosed them down repeatedly on an area of clean pavement. But you need to hose them a lot to penetrate a good carpet, and you need sunny and dry conditions for at least a few days for drying. They must have the opportunity to dry completely, or you risk mold and mildew.

I have successfully cleaned up after cats, and afterward gotten them to comply with using the cat box only. Various reasons for the problem - some were new to the house - some were having physical or emotional issues. By the way, cats have an instinct to pee and poop in sand or dirt where they can cover it. That's why we can litter-box train them.

I can't remember having a problem with a dog marking indoors since I was a kid and we were raising pups from birth. I HAVE had a senior dog who just couldn't hold it any more, and we resolved that by getting up in the middle of the night for a pottie break in the back yard. At first we didn't realize it was because she was getting old and couldn't hold it. She had issues with housebreaking when she was young - and we just thought she was acting out for some reason. But we figured it out, and once we let her out - no indoor problems.

By the way, since the young cat was sitting on the laundry, I suspect you are right in pointing the finger at her. Since you then washed that laundry again - those clothes should give you no further problem. BUT, there might be something about the loose clothes in the laundry that the young cat associates with "I can pee in this and cover it up, so you might keep laundry baskets out of her way until she gets a little older.

Also, (I don't want to forget this) the regular litter box may have been too dirty, or for some reason "off limits" at the moment when the young cat felt she just HAD to go. I've had this happen when we've forgotten to clean the litter box in a timely fashion!

Old 10-05-2022, 04:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
hahaha could be worse my male collie would pee on the other animals as soon as they were dry from a bath!! Guess he wanted to make sure they were still ours!

Old 01-05-2023, 09:01 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
How do you use this on urine/pet odors? I know that people can mop with it on hard surfaces, but what about things like carpeting or couches?

Old 01-05-2023, 03:51 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
How do you use this on urine/pet odors? I know that people can mop with it on hard surfaces, but what about things like carpeting or couches?
They offer several ready to use products or you can make your own from concentrates.

Read the product instructions:

https://odoban.com/what-is-odoban/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets