Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 PM

18,499 posts, read 7,254,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Boxer. They are FANTASTIC with kids of all ages.
I have to disagree. They're too strong and violent for kids. At least for little kids. My sister-in-law's boxer gave my son a black eye when he was two or three, which led to other problems. I guess it depends on the age of your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 12:26 AM

5,431 posts, read 6,057,073 times
OP, you haven't been on this thread for a little while. We'd all be interested in what type of dog you ended up adopting (if any) and how it's all worked out (paws crossed for the best of course) so please let us know where you are in this process!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 1,584,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I have to disagree. They're too strong and violent for kids. At least for little kids. My sister-in-law's boxer gave my son a black eye when he was two or three, which led to other problems. I guess it depends on the age of your kids.
Boxers can be very lively and physically strong; so a young boxer, a puppy, could be the friendliest dog in the world and still cause physical harm to a small child just by knocking the child down without meaning to do so. I've been knocked down by a cute 4-month-old Boxer at a dog park; the pup was playing hard with other dogs; he ran by me and sideswiped me; his body was already wire & steel and he was moving fast and hard. No damage, thankfully.

However, I have seen and heard of adult and middle-aged and older Boxers making lovely, gentle companions for children of all ages.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 405 times
The best dog breeds for first time pets owners include:
Poodle. ...
Golden Retriever. ...
King Charles Spaniel. ...
Pug. ...
Papillon. ...
Greyhound. ...
Bichon Frise. ...
Boxer. If you're looking for a medium-large, high-energy companion, the Boxer is perfect for you.
[url]https://petshealth.ae/[/url]

Old 09-17-2020, 09:48 AM

1,013 posts, read 713,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Our last boxer (we’ve had 6) grew up with our grandkids and was very gentle around them. They now have a Golden Retriever that is good with them but not good around adults.

Back to Boxers—maybe it’s a breed for people experienced with large breeds. High energy, need to be trained, but I trusted all my Boxers with children of any age. Occasionally, like with any breed, one won’t be suitable around young children or other pets. I’d never describe the breed as “violent”. It’s not in their nature and I grew up with them from infancy. They are exuberant. With exercise, they’re incredible companion dogs.

Added: I read the original post-Boxers and Goldens don’t qualify as medium to small, nor are they necessarily calm. Breeders seem to be down-sizing Boxers in the U.S., but they still aren’t even a medium size dog.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:52 PM

837 posts, read 1,698,608 times
Unless you get a highly unusual dog or are a rather unusual person, you will love whatever dog you end up with. Sure, there are variations around energy level, behavioral traits, etc., etc. But, dogs are designed (evolved) to make us love them.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,950,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Unless you get a highly unusual dog or are a rather unusual person, you will love whatever dog you end up with. Sure, there are variations around energy level, behavioral traits, etc., etc. But, dogs are designed (evolved) to make us love them.
I have loved some dogs that I couldn't live with, men too for that matter..

Old 10-04-2020, 01:42 PM

12,633 posts, read 14,768,338 times
Boston Terrier

They're a fabulous breed for first-timers or otherwise! I had one & would have one again. Here are all the great things about them:

Appearance-wise

- Good-looking dog w/ striking black & white coloring

- Very cute flat face (called brachycephalic)

- Good medium size (about 15 - 18 pounds)

- Short, no-fuss fur that doesn't need grooming

- a nub for a tail, so there's no mess

Personality-wise

- Intelligent

- Not a barky dog, won't bark for no reason, won't bark at every dog or noise that passes by. My parents & I took my Boston to a funeral once...just kept in in his soft pet container right under our seat. No one knew the difference. It was either that or not attend the funeral at all.

- Very loveable, gentle, kind disposition

- Playful

FYI: These are characteristics for a purebred. Of course, if it's a mix breed, there's a different appearance & could be a different type of personality.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:58 PM

934 posts, read 1,120,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
Boxer. They are FANTASTIC with kids of all ages. They have toddler personalities that stay that way even when they are older. They are VERY smart & EZ to train and great indoor dogs for families that live in apts etc. People mistake them for "Boxer Bulldogs" and are afraid of them. They are good for scaring people off when they come to the door, and I let my UPS, FedEx, Amazon delivery people think that mine will bite them if she had the chance. In reality, she would lick them to death.

I love a Boxer. Know that a boxer pup through about 2 years old is very energetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets