Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2019, 08:45 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times

Advertisements

All the doggies and kitties in this shelter got homes just in time for the holidays!

Brings a tear of joy to my eyes.

A Minneapolis animal shelter is empty -- just in time for the holidays
Quote:
A Minneapolis animal shelter has adopted out all its pets in time for the holidays.

The Minneapolis Animal Care and Control center held the "Clear the Shelter" event Friday, which waives the fee to adopt a cat or dog. By the end of the day, the shelter was empty.

"The shelter is clear! Dozens of dogs, cats and small critters found new homes today. Thanks to our staff, volunteers and adopters for making it happen," the City of Minneapolis Government posted on social media. The post also included a photo from the shelter's door informing visitors that no animals were available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 03:33 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,185 times
Yes This is great..

First shelter I have read about running out!!

Hopefully all the guests are happy in thier new homes

Old 11-25-2019, 08:03 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I am always nervous about shelters that waive their fees... what kind of people do they get? There's a reason they tell you not to place "free to good home" ads for animals; you would think shelters would know better. I would think this could only lead to A. nefarious sorts of various stripes who have found a free source to acquire an animal, or B. impulse adoptions because everybody loves something "free" or feels they should "act now while there's a good deal on" without thinking it through.

And yes, anyone can figure out the "right" things to say on an adoption application to appear like a good home and responsible owner.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:09 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
^
I was wondering about that sort of thing as well.

I would hope they had some sort of screening system?

We'll have to keep our paws crossed!

Old 11-26-2019, 05:49 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I don't know what kind of screening system they would have that wouldn't be pretty invasive... anyone can lie on an application, so unless they ask for references (which could just be someone's friends lying for them), do a home visit, look into the person's past pet ownership, etc. they'll have no idea. And that won't necessarily screen out the "impulse adopters," though maybe a good interview might do that.

And yes, people do lie. I've read articles that say if you have "free kittens" or whatever, people will lie like rugs, show up with their kids so they look like a legitimate family, etc. One article had a quote from someone who had let one of these people adopt an animal they were giving up... they said in hindsight, they thought it was a bit strange that the kids didn't seem excited about getting a new pet. Because, of course, the kids knew what was going to happen to it-- IIRC, this was one where the kids witnessed the abuse/torture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets