Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times

Advertisements

We lost two elderly cats in the last several years. We buried them in our back yard and built a meditation area near their graves. We have low benches that we can sit on and reflect on what good cats they were. We have one other elderly cat (Bianca) that has a space ready for her. She is 17 and in decline. It's comforting to know she can be laid to rest with her friends when it's her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
When it becomes obvious that one of our dogs is coming to a end we get another one so have 3 for awhile. This prevents another dog from ever being alone.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:30 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
One of my dogs passed away in 2010 when she was 5. Our other dog was 7 at the time and was pretty devastated over this. We got another dog but the dog that survived is now 17. Frankly I'm surprised but thankful he's still alive but he has lost his hearing, has dementia and can't tell which is the door or the wall, seems scared and doesn't seem to recognize me or where he's at, and the past three days, he has lost his appetite and isn't eating. I know he's 17 and it's going to come any day now but I'm so nervous and really don't want him to go. I'm prepared to grieve for him as he is our very first dog and has made me love dogs. I love this dog so much. No other dog or animal will ever be able to replace him. He's such a smart and loyal dog. I've always seen him like he was a human.
Did your dog at age 7 accept and bond with the new dog, and are you glad you got another at that time?

I am so sorry for your impending loss. We have all been where you are and felt what you're feeling. I try to derive comfort from the realization that, while we have to go on without them, which is very sad, at least they won't have to go on without us, which would be confusing, traumatizing, devastating, and even potentially dangerous to them. If we have to part, it's better this way; I think that's why God gave them shorter lifespans. Although we have to lose them, they never (ideally) have to lose us.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:15 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Did your dog at age 7 accept and bond with the new dog, and are you glad you got another at that time?

I am so sorry for your impending loss. We have all been where you are and felt what you're feeling. I try to derive comfort from the realization that, while we have to go on without them, which is very sad, at least they won't have to go on without us, which would be confusing, traumatizing, devastating, and even potentially dangerous to them. If we have to part, it's better this way; I think that's why God gave them shorter lifespans. Although we have to lose them, they never (ideally) have to lose us.
No, they never got along that well, not sure why. He seemed different after our other dog died. They're actually my brother's dogs. I think he got another dog so our surviving dog wouldn't be lonely. I am glad to have another dog around as the new dog has grown on me. I don't know if my brother will get another dog after this but losing a dog is probably one of the most painful things I've ever had to go through. Worse than a breakup. I also cried more for my late dog than I did for my grandpa but we weren't that close.

I think that's a good way to look at it. I also know that he already has a friend in heaven waiting for him when he does have to go.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
No, they never got along that well, not sure why. He seemed different after our other dog died. They're actually my brother's dogs. I think he got another dog so our surviving dog wouldn't be lonely. I am glad to have another dog around as the new dog has grown on me. I don't know if my brother will get another dog after this but losing a dog is probably one of the most painful things I've ever had to go through. Worse than a breakup. I also cried more for my late dog than I did for my grandpa but we weren't that close.

I think that's a good way to look at it. I also know that he already has a friend in heaven waiting for him when he does have to go.
Our doggy passed this morning. It was incredibly sad and it feels weird not having him in the same spot he usually likes to hang around. He was such a strong dog, even up to his last breath. He lived till he was 17, only 4 months from being 18. We'll miss him dearly. Our surviving dog, who is 10 years younger, didn't know what was going on until last night. My brother was holding our late dog who was crying, and he scratched at my door and wanted me to come out. He's been acting a little strange, he mostly seemed afraid and was hiding in my brother's room this whole weekend. He's still his playful self though and eating but he's hanging out in places he doesn't normally.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When it becomes obvious that one of our dogs is coming to a end we get another one so have 3 for awhile. This prevents another dog from ever being alone.
Sounds like a smart move. My surviving cat still hasn't adjusted (it's been over two weeks now) and is really suffering from severe separation anxiety when left alone during the day. I'm getting desperate!

Old 12-17-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Our doggy passed this morning. It was incredibly sad and it feels weird not having him in the same spot he usually likes to hang around. He was such a strong dog, even up to his last breath. He lived till he was 17, only 4 months from being 18. We'll miss him dearly. Our surviving dog, who is 10 years younger, didn't know what was going on until last night. My brother was holding our late dog who was crying, and he scratched at my door and wanted me to come out. He's been acting a little strange, he mostly seemed afraid and was hiding in my brother's room this whole weekend. He's still his playful self though and eating but he's hanging out in places he doesn't normally.
What a long life! I'm so sorry for your loss (and for your remaining dog's loss). Will you adopt another?

Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What a long life! I'm so sorry for your loss (and for your remaining dog's loss). Will you adopt another?
Strangely enough, the remaining dog doesn't seem too sad. I don't think they were too close. He was a family dog (my brother's) so it was super tough for me to be there for him as much as I wanted and to make decisions for him. For example, when I moved away for five years, I didn't get to see him much. I would like to get my own dog one day so I can be the owner this time. I loved our dog but it's not the same when you're not the owner.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:13 AM

922 posts, read 791,693 times
We had two black cats, Maynard and Marvin. They were best buddies, and Maynard basically raised Marvin from a tiny kitten. When Maynard passed suddenly, Marvin's world was shattered, and his grief was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He cried, he tore his fur out, he was miserable. He would try everything to get out of the house to go and sit on Maynard's grave. We got him a kitten, and she seemed to help distract him a little, but he was never the same.

Marvin passed a couple of months ago, and has joined Maynard in the backyard. I miss them both terribly, but I truly believe that Marvin is finally at peace, reunited with his beloved Maynard.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
We had two black cats, Maynard and Marvin. They were best buddies, and Maynard basically raised Marvin from a tiny kitten. When Maynard passed suddenly, Marvin's world was shattered, and his grief was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. He cried, he tore his fur out, he was miserable. He would try everything to get out of the house to go and sit on Maynard's grave. We got him a kitten, and she seemed to help distract him a little, but he was never the same.

Marvin passed a couple of months ago, and has joined Maynard in the backyard. I miss them both terribly, but I truly believe that Marvin is finally at peace, reunited with his beloved Maynard.
Oh, no... How long after the death of Maynard did Marvin pass? I hope it wasn't from a broken heart! But your scenario is my fear... It's tempting to think that another pet would replicate the relationship the bonded pair shared, but of course that's highly unlikely to happen in real life... What if getting another pet doesn't solve the problem, but only creates more, such as conflict and stress for the remaining pet (as well as more work and obligation for us)? I really wish mine would just adjust and be at peace with being alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets