Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

In my case it's a cat left behind, but please also chime in with your experience with dogs, birds, or whatever you've dealt with (successfully).

He's a sickly senior who has always had anxiety issues, but was calmed by his also indoor-only buddy cat and -- now that his beloved friend has recently passed away -- he's terrified whenever he's left home alone for even a few hours and in a panic when I get back. I was hoping to go pet-free for a while after these two oldsters were gone (I'm retiring soon and wanted to be able to travel without worrying about either animals brought along or left behind), but he's not adjusting well to being an only pet and I'm beginning to fear he never will. Also, even if I found another calm senior to foster or adopt, there's no guarantee that just any cat I pair him with now (my two were together for 14 years) would work out and not actually make things worse.

How have you dealt with this in the past, and what measures would you recommend as a result?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 04:00 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,371 times
About two years ago I lost one of my 15 year old dogs. The two have been together for their entire lives. The one who passed was the bossy one. Any rate the remaining dog was pretty down and missing her friend so about a month later I adopted another older dog to be a companion for him. They seemed to get on okay but exactly a week after I adopted him my second girl collapsed and died quite suddenly. It happens that way a lot with old animal couples much like old human couples.

Now I've adopted another dog to keep company with the older one so I am back to being a two dog family.

Anyway your old cat wold probably not adjust well to a new companion. It might take him some time to adjust to life alone. Try leaving a radio on when you have to leave the house and see if that helps.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:06 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Ever since my dog died (11) in 2012, my then 4 year old other dog (now she is 11) wandered around and whined with one of their shared toys in her mouth.

Then she became clingy. I'd say for the last 7 years she has become more into being around one of us at all times. Whereas before she would hang out wherever she felt like in the house. No destruction or separation anxiety. Just wanting to know where we all are.

Old 12-08-2019, 04:22 PM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
We always have 2 dogs so they have company when we are gone.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We always have 2 dogs so they have company when we are gone.
Until one of them passes away, that is! I hadn't thought much about it before, but their pain is real.

Every time I see cute pics of "bonded pairs," I'm now reminded that bereavement is probably in the cards for one of them.

It's a big trauma for a little animal who can't understand what has happened to his formerly safe, happy world.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:27 PM

274 posts, read 237,481 times
This past Saturday we had to make the decision to say good bye to our fifteen year old cat. Our other cat is around seven, and those two had been nearly inseparable for those seven years. Both cats were champion eaters and would always try to get my husband or me to give them extra food, but since the older cat died, the surviving cat has been almost obsessive about asking for/demanding more food.

I think he feels a loss, and knows something isn't right in his world, but since he can't exactly identify what, in his cat mind, more food is the answer. I'm hoping that as more days pass, he will settle down and become more comfortable with his new normal. I hate losing pets.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
This past Saturday we had to make the decision to say good bye to our fifteen year old cat. Our other cat is around seven, and those two had been nearly inseparable for those seven years. Both cats were champion eaters and would always try to get my husband or me to give them extra food, but since the older cat died, the surviving cat has been almost obsessive about asking for/demanding more food.

I think he feels a loss, and knows something isn't right in his world, but since he can't exactly identify what, in his cat mind, more food is the answer. I'm hoping that as more days pass, he will settle down and become more comfortable with his new normal. I hate losing pets.
I'm so sorry for your loss... Is he now an only cat/pet? Will you get another (in time) to keep him company? My remaining cat, who always hated being brushed (unlike his buddy, who loved it), now tolerates being brushed, and whereas he was always a picky eater who barely consumed enough, he now seems hungry all the time like my cat who passed was. I've wondered if he's channeling him.

Old 12-10-2019, 12:36 PM

274 posts, read 237,481 times
He's now an only cat, but we also have five dogs. He gets along with the dogs, but they don't eat and sleep together like the two cats did. We're hoping he adjusts, because another cat won't be in the picture for a long while, if ever. We were very attached to our old girl, and it will take time before we could even think about getting another. Plus, there's no guarantee our current cat would welcome or get along with someone new.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
He's now an only cat, but we also have five dogs. He gets along with the dogs, but they don't eat and sleep together like the two cats did. We're hoping he adjusts, because another cat won't be in the picture for a long while, if ever. We were very attached to our old girl, and it will take time before we could even think about getting another. Plus, there's no guarantee our current cat would welcome or get along with someone new.
I think as long as there are other pets, that will be of comfort. And I suppose there are "only pets" out there who are fine with being alone part or even most of the day. But unfortunately, I don't think my old boy is going to be one of those! He's still clearly upset (frightened) when I get home after being gone a few hours. I really hadn't wanted to adopt another cat, either, but I will have to do whatever's in the best interest of my remaining pet. You're correct, however, that there's no guarantee that an addition would go smoothly. I was very lucky that my previous two just instantly jelled and bonded for life.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:21 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times
One of my dogs passed away in 2010 when she was 5. Our other dog was 7 at the time and was pretty devastated over this. We got another dog but the dog that survived is now 17. Frankly I'm surprised but thankful he's still alive but he has lost his hearing, has dementia and can't tell which is the door or the wall, seems scared and doesn't seem to recognize me or where he's at, and the past three days, he has lost his appetite and isn't eating. I know he's 17 and it's going to come any day now but I'm so nervous and really don't want him to go. I'm prepared to grieve for him as he is our very first dog and has made me love dogs. I love this dog so much. No other dog or animal will ever be able to replace him. He's such a smart and loyal dog. I've always seen him like he was a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets