Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Not a day goes by on this website where I dont read a thread about someone who has a massive fear of snakes (ophidiophobia). Noone takes the time to learn about them, noone even wants to. Most people couldnt tell a harmless snake from a venomous snake, yet feel the need to brainlessly hack any snake that comes around. For gosh sakes, people, LEAVE THEM THE HECK ALONE!!!!! Theyre not out to get you, theyre not gonna hurt you unless you agitate them, which is what EVERY animal on earth would do. They wont hunt you down, they wont chase you, etc, etc, etc. Why do people believe all the ridiculous wives-tales that surround poor snakes? I really cant believe how gullible some people really are when it comes to snakes. Ive had people ask me if its really true that rattlesnakes hide in trees and nip at you when you walk by. Ive had people ask me if rattlesnakes can really jump over 6' tall walls. I even had a lady ask me what a "toilet snake" was, and if theyre in Illinois. I couldve responded humourously to that one, but didnt, I only assured her that no snakes live in toilets and bite your arse when you sit down. Really, cmon!!!!

Snakes are probably the most persecuted animal on earth, hands down. Ive never seen an animal thats so hated, so misunderstood, so maligned, so persecuted, so unknown, and its sickening to me.

I HATE cats. I think theyre murderous, curious, mischievous little cruel beasts. However, Im not gonna walk around hacking them with hoes just because they come on my yard, Id get jail time just because theyre considered "nice pets". Whatever. Ive seen neighbors cats raid and pillage robin nests, bunny holes, aquariums, etc!!!! Its nature, deal with it, right? Well, the next time a snake comes onto your property, its just looking for a meal or passing through. DONT HACK IT TO DEATH because you just "dont like them". Its rude, thoughtless, cruel, stupid.

Some quick snake bits....

1. Snakes are beneficial to the environment. They eat disease-spreading rodents. The more snakes you kill, the more vermin problems youll have, the more diseases youll encourage to spread.

2. Even venomous snakes can eat up to 9 lbs (!!!) of rodents every year. Leave em alone.

3. Snakes wont chase you, hunt you down, stalk you, bite you, etc, unless you realllllllly agitate them.

4. Most venomous snakebites occur to drunk, young males who are harrassing the snake and/or attempting to handle the snake. Yet people continue to think that venomous snakes bite anyone and anything that goes near them. BS.

5. If you live in snake country, take the proper precautions when outdoors. Remember, its YOU who lives in THEIR territory. They were there looooong before you were. And if you get bit because youre out running around w/o a care in the world, its your fault to begin with.

6. Train your children and dogs to leave them alone, too. There are classes for dogs to recognize and avoid snakes to avoid getting bit. Simple as that.

7. Keep your yard free of clutter and junk, keep the grass cut low, etc. Removing junk keeps mice away, which will attract snakes.

8. If you see a snake, simply go around it. If you hear a rattle when outside, freeze and look around. Once you have spotted the snake, simply take 2 steps backwards and go around it. Simple as that.

9. If a snake is in your house/yard/etc, call animal control. Theyll come and remove it for you and relocate it somewhere else. No need to kill it.

10. Spend some time learning about snakes, including venomous ones. Once you learn a little about them, youll be less likely to be afraid of them.

11. Venomous snakes in the USA have vertically eliptical pupils, non-venomous snakes have round pupils.

12. Kingsnakes eat rattlesnakes, pretty neat eh?

13. Venomous snakes in the USA have heat-sensing pits, which are located on their faces, below their eyes (resemble nostrils). They use these at night to track prey after theyve bitten it. Its similar to infrared devices that the military use. What it does is show the heat signature of the animal, giving the snake a picture, if you will, of how big the animal is and where its at.

14. Snakes are deaf, they have no ears. Snakes also have no eyelids, their eyes stay open their entire lives.

15. Snakes are ectothermic. Outside temperature regulates their body temperature, hence the reason snakes love to sun themselves to warm up.

As you can tell, I LOVE snakes. Like many of you I was once ophidiophobic until I actually got to hold one, and from then on it was love. I spend alot of time in the outdoors looking for snakes and researching them in many different states. Theyve become somewhat of a "hobby" of mine, and Im here to help answer any questions about them that you might have. If I feel Im qualified to answer, I will. But in the meantime, leave the poor things alone, they want nothing to do with you and are just as beneficial to the ecosystem as the next animal.

Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,419 times
Also, the bad thing about Snakes is that a hybrid form of AID's has been found in Pythons, and various types of garden snakes blood streams.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Not everyone hates them you know...

These little guys (rough earth snakes) are welcome residents in my yard... They are my Natural Pest Controllers. I try to leave them a "safe area" of old leaves and such piled under my Wisteria Bush and they seem to like it here.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/snake2-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/snake1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
I have great respect for snakes, bats and vultures. Each species is like a environmental cleanup crew.
I keep my distance with all wild snakes, though, primarily because I've watched a Water Moccasin attacked my friend during a canoe trip. Thankfully, my friend is a native of this state and had great reflexes. I no longer watch out for the alligators when I'm canoeing, but rather keep watch for Water Moccasins. Still...snakes are great.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
I have great respect for snakes, bats and vultures. Each species is like a environmental cleanup crew.
I keep my distance with all wild snakes, though, primarily because I've watched a Water Moccasin attacked my friend during a canoe trip. Thankfully, my friend is a native of this state and had great reflexes. I no longer watch out for the alligators when I'm canoeing, but rather keep watch for Water Moccasins. Still...snakes are great.
Have we talked before about this? Sounds familiar.

Anyways, getting a water moccasin to "attack" is odd. Very odd actually. Not to be confused with the easily-agitated common water snake (Nerodia spp), the cottonmouth will sit perfectly still when confronted. It will coil into a ball, tilt its head back, and open its mouth to expose its white mouth (hence the name "cottonmouth"). It will sit like this until something gets close enough for it to bite. Cottonmouths have been observed in the wild holding that position for HOURS on end. Theyre not the least bit "aggressive", which is why I think its odd that your friend was "attacked". Ill believe you though, as I wasnt there to witness it myself.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Not everyone hates them you know...

These little guys (rough earth snakes) are welcome residents in my yard... They are my Natural Pest Controllers. I try to leave them a "safe area" of old leaves and such piled under my Wisteria Bush and they seem to like it here.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/snake2-1.jpg (broken link)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/snake1.jpg (broken link)
Youre my hero. haha

Very nice that people still care for the little guys. Ive seen snakes hacked, run over, skinned, etc, just because people dont like em. Next time I see that, I might be going to jail for defending the snakes.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
Steve-o... Your enthusiasm is overwhelming...literally.

You might find this hard to swallow but....not all of us have been willing or able to..take the time to KNOW snakes, as in....recognizing the harmless from the ones that might KILL with one strike, etc, etc. Granted, knowing everything about how nature lives and breathes, can be a marvelous thing. Actually, once you hold a snake in your hands and feel that smooth, unblemished skin, you begin to get the idea that there might just be something worth getting to know in the package. BUT, you HAVE to know what you're doing.

Therein, lies the rub. I don't. I can't walk out into my back yard, bordered by a small creek, and know for sure whether any snake I see is friend or foe. So, I do as you suggest; I leave well enough alone and back off. I have no small children to worry about and my cat can take care of himself. The dog, she knows what to do, from living in the country for four years. The only snakes we bothered there were the black snakes that wanted to take bluebirds from nest boxes.

I have no problem with your suggestions to stop the snake bashing but your method seems a bit harsh. Sometimes, we tend to do the very things we ask others not to and when I read your opening post, I felt as tho someone was trying to hit ME over the head with a big stick. People, as well as snakes, just don't cotton to that kind of treatment.

Walk softly, Steve-o...walk softly.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times
I do not like snakes, but do not go around killin em.. Love fact they grab rodents and such, I just stay my distance. My kids want one as a pet as had corn snake in school and like boas. I have handled them but still just not my type of pet or favorite animal.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have we talked before about this? Sounds familiar.

Anyways, getting a water moccasin to "attack" is odd. Very odd actually. Not to be confused with the easily-agitated common water snake (Nerodia spp), the cottonmouth will sit perfectly still when confronted. It will coil into a ball, tilt its head back, and open its mouth to expose its white mouth (hence the name "cottonmouth"). It will sit like this until something gets close enough for it to bite. Cottonmouths have been observed in the wild holding that position for HOURS on end. Theyre not the least bit "aggressive", which is why I think its odd that your friend was "attacked". Ill believe you though, as I wasnt there to witness it myself.
My friend who is an avid Florida outdoorsman said it was a Water Moccasin because it was swimming on top of the water, and it did open its mouth as a warning before it lunged at him. The warning gave him enough time to grab a stick to pick it up and toss it back into deeper water. We just got off our canoes and were pulling them up on the sand when it happened.
Nonetheless, I still respect and adore snakes.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
Steve-o... Your enthusiasm is overwhelming...literally.

You might find this hard to swallow but....not all of us have been willing or able to..take the time to KNOW snakes, as in....recognizing the harmless from the ones that might KILL with one strike, etc, etc.
I appreciate your repsonse. I do take this stuff seriously, because theres really no reason for people to kill them. There are many great folks that just leave them alone if they dont want to learn which ones are potentially harmful vs those that arent. However, this country is filled with too many viscious people who simply despise snakes and kill any and all snakes they see, which I find incredibly rude and selfish. There are only 4 snakes in the USA that can harm a human if they felt like it (rattlers (many species), cottonmouths, copperheads, corals). And your odds of dying from a venomous snakebite are extremely slim. Im not sure why people think that if theyre bit that theyre gonna die. I believe that less than 1% of venomous snakebites in the USA are fatal. Ill have to double check that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets