Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 01:59 AM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times

Advertisements

Cats vs Dogs in smarts?

Well let's see cats can potty year round inside a warm/cool house. While dogs are forced out into the cold/heat to potty.

Dogs are forced to learn commands, and do tricks. While cats are left to do as they please.

Dogs are dragged along when their owners want to jog. While cats can stay home and do as they please.

Dogs are expected to defend their homes from intruders. Cats could if they feel like it.

Dogs forced to work for their food/treats. Cats can do as they please and get fed.

All of this plus cats got the royal treatment in Egypt.

Yeah right, dogs are really smarter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 10:52 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Seriously, who cares. Both have their own intelligence. Their intelligence is different, just like it tends to be a bit different in any other species of animal.

There are smart dogs and dumb dogs. There are smart cats, and maybe somewhere there is a dumb cat (but I've never met a dumb cat).

Dogs tend to think a bit more like a human than a cat does, but I don't think that thinking like a human is much of a criteria for determining intelligence. Or at least, dogs are more capable of interpreting how a human thinks. The cat doesn't care much about how a human thinks. Cats can learn to understand English language just as much as a dog can. Just because a cat refuses to learn tricks doesn't mean the cat doesn't understand what you want.

Old 04-02-2020, 03:21 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Seriously, who cares. Both have their own intelligence. Their intelligence is different, just like it tends to be a bit different in any other species of animal.

There are smart dogs and dumb dogs. There are smart cats, and maybe somewhere there is a dumb cat (but I've never met a dumb cat).

Dogs tend to think a bit more like a human than a cat does, but I don't think that thinking like a human is much of a criteria for determining intelligence. Or at least, dogs are more capable of interpreting how a human thinks. The cat doesn't care much about how a human thinks. Cats can learn to understand English language just as much as a dog can. Just because a cat refuses to learn tricks doesn't mean the cat doesn't understand what you want.

I agree-it doesn't matter. They're just different species adapted to what helps them survive.

But as for never meeting a dumb cat? I could introduce you to Splotch. If there was a cure for stupid she'd need 2 doses. But she's a favorite of mine so.....

Old 04-02-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You're wrong about that. Cats have learned how to control human minds. They just choose to let the lowly dogs do parlor tricks.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Depends on what the task is, but generally I would say as it relates to humans and relations with humans, certain breeds of dogs.

I say this as a cat fanatic.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:01 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMjsYaqvoM

Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62s59nveyY

Old 04-03-2020, 06:06 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez6V3hDLo3c

Old 04-03-2020, 06:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Ah the age-old debate.

I like both and have both and agree with the previous oster that said it isn't so much which is "smarter" because they have such different natures. How do you define "smart"? Perhaps the ability to learn might be the best, but both are good at that. Dogs are (generally) easier to train as pack animals but cats learn very well - often self-learning. I have one cat that has clearly figured out how a number of things work and we're just really glad he doesn't have opposable thumbs.
It's my experience, that Cats seem toactand reatdepunding on their nurturing during their early years by other cat/aka weening as most momma cats correct certain behaviours!
'
Indeed, Cats as I noted d'not evolve like Dogs do, Most maintain and always want to dominate especially around other species like Dogs!!

Personally, I appreciate dogs, nurtured and inherited after proper nurture from mother Dog ( b$tch), as they realize they have RULES!! Some breeds are more submissive naturally, but depending on breeders, or where pup came from lends cooperative animal versus "Set-in-Their ways" animal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Cats vs Dogs in smarts?

Well let's see cats can potty year round inside a warm/cool house. While dogs are forced out into the cold/heat to potty.

Dogs are forced to learn commands, and do tricks. While cats are left to do as they please.

Dogs are dragged along when their owners want to jog. While cats can stay home and do as they please.

Dogs are expected to defend their homes from intruders. Cats could if they feel like it.

Dogs forced to work for their food/treats. Cats can do as they please and get fed.

All of this plus cats got the royal treatment in Egypt.

Yeah right, dogs are really smarter.
Dog's IMO can bond with many versus Cats seem to bond with only a few.. Cats actually are seeking warmth, and avoiding noise/desire own space etc etc.. Dogs love to be involved and enjoy interacting with whomever shows them positive interactions.

Most animals are NOT born and bred to be aggressive, much less hurtful~ All depends on upbringing and life path of that animal... Kind of like Humans in a sense~~

Can we conclude, Cats and Dogs mentality are DIFFERENT? YEpper!! Both can show affection and fidelity .. difference, Cats select the few.. Dogs in general Love anything positive.

Dogs, can be trained to become offensive/aggressive by some owners.. which become a problem.. which is a topic of another thread!!

I apologize if I complicated OP's question.. It's just such a complicated question~~ One can only go by their experiences!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Can we conclude, Cats and Dogs mentality are DIFFERENT? YEpper!! Both can show affection and fidelity .. difference, Cats select the few.. Dogs in general Love anything positive.
That is were Cats tip the smarts in their favor.

Dogs will do anything for food, even if it will result in their injury. While cats will stop and think before they act. They always seem to have a backup (escape) plan.

@ James Bond 007 - The links you posted remind me of this song. Listen as if a dog 7 cat were singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfHBPusZg6E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets