Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 07:11 PM

740 posts, read 456,268 times

Advertisements

For those who lost their pets to death, how long will it take for you to laugh again and enjoy those wonderful pictures and videos of your pets?

I lost my dog yesterday and I can't even look at any pictures or movies of my dog without bursting into tears. It's just too painful. Just even thinking about her, my tears begin to trickle down my face. To get through the day, I pretend she doesn't exist. It's amazing how a grown man who won't shed a single tears for family members at their funeral now shed tears for his beloved dog.

Will I ever enjoy those videos and pictures of my dog again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,510 times
I'm not a very emotional person so much, although I deeply cared about my pets, the sadness I felt at their passing went quite quickly. I remember the good times I had with them and I have lots of pictures on my computer I still look at alot. My last pet died in July 2014. I guess we're all different that way but I hope you will find it easier to get to the point where you can happily remeber the times and look at the pictures and enjoy them.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:06 PM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Yes.

It takes time, but eventually, you will be saying "remember when she did this funny thing or that intelligent thing". You will start to enjoy the memories of her even while you still miss her.

The only real problem with dogs is that they don't live long enough. Remind yourself that you gave her a good life and she was loved and knew it.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I'm not a very emotional person so much, although I deeply cared about my pets, the sadness I felt at their passing went quite quickly. I remember the good times I had with them and I have lots of pictures on my computer I still look at alot. My last pet died in July 2014. I guess we're all different that way but I hope you will find it easier to get to the point where you can happily remeber the times and look at the pictures and enjoy them.

For me, it was pretty easy to let go of my other pets: birds, fishes, turtles, salamanders, etc. Not much of an attachment. Somehow, my dog was different. I guess because I interact with her on such a personal level for many, many years.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes.

It takes time, but eventually, you will be saying "remember when she did this funny thing or that intelligent thing". You will start to enjoy the memories of her even while you still miss her.

The only real problem with dogs is that they don't live long enough. Remind yourself that you gave her a good life and she was loved and knew it.

Told my wife, I'm getting a Tortoise next so that it can outlive me.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:11 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
First of all, please accept my condolences.

Grief is a very strange creature. There is no right or wrong way and there is no time limit. I still shed tears over furbabies that crossed the Rainbow Bridge over 20 years ago.

I lost my beautiful Electra this past January and the tears still come when I least expect them to. Less than a week after losing her, Hubby took me the local Humane Society-not to replace Electra. She could NEVER be replaced, but to adopt a new furbaby to help heal that hole that is in our hearts. Luna has helped (along with Elvira & Josette who lost their sister).

Please consider adopting again. You will NOT be replacing your beloved furbaby. But adopting a new furbaby not only will help you heal but also give someone a home who needs it. It is a win-win situation.

Peace.

Cat

Old 04-17-2020, 05:57 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
For those who lost their pets to death, how long will it take for you to laugh again and enjoy those wonderful pictures and videos of your pets?

I lost my dog yesterday and I can't even look at any pictures or movies of my dog without bursting into tears. It's just too painful. Just even thinking about her, my tears begin to trickle down my face. To get through the day, I pretend she doesn't exist. It's amazing how a grown man who won't shed a single tears for family members at their funeral now shed tears for his beloved dog.

For me, it was years. For more than two years, I cried literally every day when thinking about them, which was a lot. I couldn’t NOT think about them at first. I still get sad when viewing their photos and videos (and sometimes randomly with no triggering memento), but at least it is overshadowed by the pleasure of remembering the good times.

Only yesterday is so short a grieving time no wonder you are crying! Go easy on yourself. It’ll turn towards happier thoughts eventually.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:05 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post

I am so very sorry for your loss.

There is no standard "time". I've volunteered at humane societies for a number of yesrs and there are folks who come in to adopt the day after their dog passes because the vacuum is so bad and they want to help another animal to those who can't think about bringing another animals into their lives for many years later. It is a very personal journey and whichever route you take is fine. Don't let the experiences of others make you think you are doing the worng thing - you will know when you are ready.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:51 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
I don't think there's an answer.

I lost my beloved best friend Serenity (my cat) in November 2015. It was right when Adele's song, "Hello" came out. I heard the song once, the day it came out. The next day, my cat had multiple seizures, was in immense pain, and I had her put to sleep, because I was not going to allow my 17 year old friend suffer.

To this day, I cannot listen to that Adele song. I don't want to hear 'Hello from the other side....' I just don't.

Old 04-19-2020, 01:53 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,321,218 times
I still have to steel myself before I look at pictures even for dogs I lost many years ago. I really prefer not to look at them because it's too hard. The immediacy of the pain does pass with time - I just prefer not to poke at it with pictures.

Right after a loss, I force myself to put the memories in a mental box that I try not to touch because I can really bring myself down if I replay everything in my head. It was two years in January since I lost my last dog and partly because of the way he died, it's still a struggle. But I had another dog and horses that needed to be cared for, so I can't allow myself to run myself so far down I can't take care of what remains. But even typing this little bit about my last deceased dog is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets