Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 05:37 AM

11,159 posts, read 9,792,935 times

Advertisements

((((HUG))))) to you Overthinker. I wish I could give you a better hug, but virtual is the best we can do. It's the hardest part of pet ownership to let them go. Your fur baby knew how much you loved him, and you did what you had to in order to keep him from needless suffering. Be kind to yourself too. Take time to mourn his loss, and maybe you can find a nice picture of him and frame it so you can have a little remembrance of him. I hung my dogs picture and his collar and put it with the family pictures in the hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:43 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,049,284 times
We had to have our dog put down about 2 months ago. He was 16. Like Peregrine, I don't GRIEVE anymore. Not that raw pain. But I miss my funny silly little buddy.

Almost every day, something happens, and it makes me think of Jake. Every time I scoot my chair out, I make sure Jake's not in the way, and then it's like "Oh yeah. I forgot." Every time we had fish sticks, I'd always save a few for him. The other day we had fish sticks, and I started counting out a few for Jake, and again it was "Oh yeah. I forgot."

He always followed me everywhere...until he couldn't anymore. I will always miss him...but I don't cry anymore.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,137,955 times
Honestly, I've had many many pets over my lifetime thus far (we were also rescuers) and the only way I ever get past every one of their passing is - I have to push it out of my mind for many months until I can deal. Every single time I think of that pet (in the context of death) for the first while (other than a playful memory or such) I make my mind think about something else. After a period of time, then I can begin to linger on a few thoughts and then more and more as time goes on. If I dwell on anything too soon it's too distressing but after time, I deal with it much better. So that's what I do. It takes conscious effort to do it tho.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:15 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,605,169 times
You're grieving

It’s gonna take time to ease the pain. There is no magic formula. I had pets pass away and I hold each one near and dear to my heart. I still to this day miss them all. The pain of the loss dulls with time. The memories are yours to cherish. As long as you don’t forget them they will always be alive to you

Every once in a while seeing something a place or another dog triggers memories. Some good some sad, happy. Either way I relieve them all.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 PM

7,148 posts, read 12,694,343 times
You loved your dog and took care of your friend til the end.

Grieve, cry, remember--but no guilt.

Loss hurts.

It will get better.

Old 07-09-2020, 01:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,067,637 times
When we lost our beagle, Kimble, he was one month short of his 16th birthday. I asked the vet how we'd know when it was time to let him go, he said, 'He'll tell you." Letting go of him was the hardest thing in the world yet we knew that he wasn't suffering any longer.

His absence was noticeable. When I came home from work and there was no one to greet me, I cried like a baby. I missed him so much. My wife was miserable too. She got him as a puppy in Brazil and brought him here.

Previously, I had told her that we'd not get another puppy for 6 months. I barely made it three weeks before we began looking. We settled on a beautiful vizsla puppy that we named Parker. He's now pushing 4 years old and we can't imagine life without him. He's beyond a joy and yes, I dread the day we lose him.

This picture was taken right after I flew to Montgomery AL to pick him up. It's my favorite picture of us.

There's a more recent picture of him jumping in the pool in anther recent post.

After we move to our retirement location out in the country, far, far away from the desert, we hope to get another vizsla puppy.

Best wishes to you. Your pain will pass and you did the right thing. There's no more love that you can show a pet than to give them relief from never ending pain.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,385,717 times
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Our dog is getting older. I am terrified of the day we lose our loving pet. However, in the back of my mind I know we must accept that they have so much shorter lives than we do and we must enjoy every minute we have with them, and allow them to go when the time comes.

Perhaps it would be helpful to talk to a therapist to get over the loss.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:05 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,283,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post

His absence was noticeable. When I came home from work and there was no one to greet me, I cried like a baby. I missed him so much. My wife was miserable too.
I know the feeling. We had to euthanize our last Lab at only 11-1/2 after a major series of health issues, the day I had to leave for an international business trip. I was crying on the plane and miserable for a week. When I got home there was an emptiness that was strange. She was gone.

We waited 5 years until getting our current Lab, and she’s 6-1/2 now. Luckily very healthy so far but she turns 7 soon and will be becoming a “senior dog”. Kind of makes me sad.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:05 AM

3,976 posts, read 1,997,313 times
Putting down a dog is indeed tough.

I saw this Oatmeal strip a few years ago, I thought it then (and now) as very accurate.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,088,628 times
Old age hit our german shepherd like a ton of bricks. Even our vet couldn't believe he was 17, but he would not see 18 sadly. I felt like I betrayed him. I lied to him. All through the process of putting him down I was kissing him and telling him everything was going to be okay.

We were not going to get another dog. We had spent 17 years traveling by car, eating from drive-thrus, sleeping in mostly creepy hotel rooms, because we couldn't be away from him. He was family. We felt a new dog could not replace him. How could any dog replace him?

After 3 days of reaching for a dog that wasn't there only to find disappointment, we ran to the animal shelter and adopted a new one. It had become clear that dealing with hair all over the place and traveling by car wasn't so bad.

He didn't replace the shep, but he did fill the void that was left behind. He had his own quirks and provided his own comic relief, and when he passed at the age of 12, we knew what we had to do - after the crematorium picked up his remains - that same day we ran to the animal shelter.

We had 2 rules (my husband's rules) - no females and no hounds. Guess what? It was shortly after Christmas, and the only puppies available were two rooms of female hounds. She hasn't replaced the first two, but has clearly carved out her own niche. She will be 10 soon, and although she is still lively and healthy, the husband is passed. He had picked her out, and she clearly claimed him as her own at home. She loves me, but her sun rose and set over him. She is all mine now, she allowed me to replace him for her - and I truly dread the day....

Anyway, maybe a new puppy/dog is the answer. They don't replace the lost 'family member', but they do fill the void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets