Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 10:41 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

I have 3 German short hair pointers and 2 cats. Cats are LOOOOOOW maintenance compared to the dogs. They stay inside during the day and have run of the property, garage and shop at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 10:57 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Cats are much easier to take care of than dogs and it's not really close.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Thank you all for sharing your experience.

A few of the comparisons I read talked about cats getting into everything. They said you need to secure any cabinets that you wouldn't want a cat getting into, be careful about things up high that could be knocked down, block off the space under beds if you don't want a cat going under it, protect electrical cords, etc. Another thing that occurred to me after I posted was that I have two aquariums. They're covered, but there are still the lights, air tubes, and electrical cords. I suppose a cat could also try to pull the cover off.

That's actually a good point about a dog. On the other hand, there's the need to walk the dog in bad weather, or to deal with that when an unforeseen, rushed situation suddenly comes up.

I've had cockatiels and budgies. A budgie is actually the third pet I'm considering.
Cats are generally low maintenance and you can get certain breeds and train them if you want even lower maintenance.

But I also believe, it's an effort/reward.

I think dogs are more fun and closer to being like children, but again, a lot more work and money.

In the moment at least, they are more fun. You can plan a whole day around playing with or training your dog, with a typical cat, not so much.

But when they die, equal sadness.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:56 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
I love them both, but would lean towards Cats for their independence. You can leave food and water out and go away for a couple of days. Other than them yelling at you when you get back, they do ok by themselves.

A dog would go crazy and tear up my house if I left them alone for a day, no to mention the need to be let out for bathroom breaks.

In a few years, I plan to move to a rural area with acreage, so I can see having both. Barn cats and a good dog are essential for a well run homestead.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Cats are easier to care for than dogs and older (3+ yrs old) cats are easier than younger cats. By then they aren't as rambunctious and almost always you can get one for free as most people prefer kittens.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:41 AM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
My family still hasn't decided. I'll always like dogs, but I think a cat or a bird would the better fit for my family. I'm leaning toward a cat. I'll post again when we get our next pet.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:31 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I've had dogs my entire life up until 4 years ago when I adopted a feral cat that needed a home. There's no comparison. The cat is so much easier to care for. The difference is like having to take care of a small child (dog), vs living with another adult in the house (cat).

Old 09-13-2020, 08:27 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I love them both, but would lean towards Cats for their independence. You can leave food and water out and go away for a couple of days. Other than them yelling at you when you get back, they do ok by themselves.

A dog would go crazy and tear up my house if I left them alone for a day, no to mention the need to be let out for bathroom breaks.

In a few years, I plan to move to a rural area with acreage, so I can see having both. Barn cats and a good dog are essential for a well run homestead.
Many many years ago I did this a couple of times (leave my cats alone to go away for a couple of days), and in all honesty, I’d never do it again. One of my cats cried relentlessly upon my return, not understanding why I hadn’t come home. I also worried about them so much while I was away that I never was able to relax and enjoy myself.

Cats might be considered more independent than dogs, but they can stress out just as easily...at least cats who are indoors. And accidents can happen. I once had a pet sitter relate to me a particularly upsetting story about a cat she was scheduled to check in on once every couple of days....unfortunately, the cat had accidentally knocked over a heavy vase on itself, and by the time she went to check on him (estimated about a day and a half after the accident) kitty was too far gone and couldn’t be saved. Having someone to at least check in on them once a day would be far better, for both pet and human. Even if it was just to reassure the cat that he/she hadn’t been abandoned, I’d pay to have someone check in.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:01 AM

3 posts, read 799 times
No. Cats are literally the easiest pet ever. Just clean the litter box and make sure food/water is available, that's it.

A dog will use an average of ~1 hour of your time every day, a cat will use 5 minutes.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
I think cats are by far easier than dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets