U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:12 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,274,215 times

Advertisements

Home Again went to the internet now and has updates on computer and also a lost pet like amber alert now, that people who sign up get call and emails on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 AM

8,200 posts, read 34,244,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post

They do migrate some but do not think can go into brain as just under skin.
I look at chipping like I do fingerprinting my kids, If get lost good way to indentify and send home.

If stolen and sold may go to a vet and usually a vet will scan for chip on new dogs or cats and if your id come up and with home again any missing dogs get reported and identifying number,age,breed,color and all may help get them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
Home Again went to the internet now and has updates on computer and also a lost pet like amber alert now, that people who sign up get call and emails on.
As for the migrating....maybe the older chips were inserted in a different part of the body? My dog's chip was inserted between the shoulder blades, so I don't expect it to migrate too far.

When we found her on the street and took her to our vet, the first thing he did was scan her for a chip, he's required to do that. If we had found a chip, I think we all would have liked to have a few words with her previous "owner" given her physical and mental condition .

I also like Home Again's internet approach. After you get the chip, you can post a picture and description of your pet. If your pet was to be lost, you make one phone call to Home Again and they send out a mass fax to all of the vets in the area the dog was lost (and I think all the shelters too). You can also print one of their "lost" posters right from their site. It's a good system, it seems.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 32,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Our breeder does not recommend chipping because she said she knows of instances where the chip migrated to the brain, or other parts of the body.
I'd find another breeder. Maybe one that doesn't just say things because they like to hear themselves talk..................

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazonchix View Post
Tattoos can be altered or can fad over extended periods of time. We ruled this one out for our pets a while back.
If your pet lives to be 40-50 yrs. old (in human years), then yes, the tatoo can fade, but it won't completely fade away. It's recommended that tatoos be made on the belly/groin area - people have been known to cut tatooed ears off so that the pet can't be identified.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stezlaki View Post
I'd find another breeder. Maybe one that doesn't just say things because they like to hear themselves talk..................
"Your beeder" needs to quit reading scam emails. Micro chips have been known to migrate down the shoulders, and occasionally as far down as into a front leg....never to a brain. They are implanted just under the skin, between the shoulder blades. In order for a 'chip to reach the brain, it would have to penetrate the skull.....hard bone, and impossible for 'chip to pass through. Some people just believe everything they hear!

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

3,869 posts, read 14,594,746 times
All of our dogs are chipped (6 of them) for identification for OFA, and before they go to Germany to compete.

They are also tattooed (right ear) with there SV ID # once they have there first title.

Chips have been removed from dogs and inserted in other dogs to commit fraud. There are about the size of a grain of rice.

Tattoos are hard to alter as they are not done like a tat you would get at a parlor with a tattoo pen.
It is a mid-evil looking tool that looks like a big pair of pliers. With a row of numbers. The # are made up of many spikes. Each # has a set number of dots that make up the number and a set number of numbers so you can't add one or alter them short of cutting off the ear.

If they are going to cut off the ear your dog is proubely going to be used in dog fighting and we know how that ends.

If your dog is taken by a criminal a chip or tat is not going to do any good.

so for me the tat is my dogs SV ID #
and the chip is for if they get lost and to link health doc's to my dogs as the chip # is on the x-rays or for health certs for traveling abroad.

PS we use Home Again chips

Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,444,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
However, do some research on this following links:

VeriChip Cancer Page

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/albr...r-synopsis.pdf

Implanted Microchips Cause Cance

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - washingtonpost.com

24PetWatch :: Do Microchips Cause Cancer? (http://www.24petwatch.com/do-microchips-cause-cancer.asp - broken link)
It definitely concerned me, but I can understand you seeking other opinions with vets...
I realized this was an old thread but I just wanted to add that I was reading these articles and I did get worried. Contrary to what other posters have said these are based on research. And although cancers were found in only a small percentage of microchipped mice and dogs, the tumors were actually clustered around the chip. I used to work at a vet and always told people how great Home Again is; I had no idea there were any risks. Even if the risks are small, people should still be told about them. According to the Washington Post article the cancer studies in mice/dogs were the reason that Vericorp didn't move forward with chipping people with their medical information. So the research findings must have been somewhat significant. Am I crazy for coming to this conclusion? Did anyone else read these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets