Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:25 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,533,872 times

Advertisements

Okay, there is HomeAgain, Avid and Resq. Our vet is recommending Bayer Resq. From what I have read on-line the Bayer reader is a universal reader and is able to read any chip. I've already checked with our local shelter and they have a Bayer universal reader. On the Bayer website www.resq.petparents.com they even give a break down of the Bayer Resq product against HomeAgain and Avid. From what I have read...I'm leaning towards the Bayer Resq chip.

I've checked with two vets (one a vet friend) to poll their opinion on microchips being carsonogentic. Both told me there was not any documented cases or any research proving that the microchip causes cancer.

I understand microchipping will not prevent pet theft...but I want to have a back up plan for reunification and to prevent the unthinkable. We do live in Oklahoma and it is tornado season. What if my cat or dog's collar slips off, etc.?

So lastly, I wanted to check with my cyber pet friends (as my partner calls you guys) and get any and all feedback you may have on this matter. Maybe someone has addtional information or heard things I haven't yet.

Please share. I always appreciate opinions...doesn't mean I do what you say...but I like to weigh my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
I don't know much about microchips, but if I did get them, I would go with something that still mainstream so many can scan the chip.

However, do some research on this following links:

VeriChip Cancer Page

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/albr...r-synopsis.pdf

Implanted Microchips Cause Cance

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - washingtonpost.com

24PetWatch :: Do Microchips Cause Cancer? (http://www.24petwatch.com/do-microchips-cause-cancer.asp - broken link)
It definitely concerned me, but I can understand you seeking other opinions with vets...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
One of my cats has a chip although I don't know which brand. I adopted him from a foster group and they put the chip in him.

I have just adopted two girls who came to their previous owner as kittens who were wild. Their owner passed away in November, she was the only one who could handle them. They are calming down but if one of them were to ever get out, no way would I be able to catch them. My other two cats know their home and would not run away.

I do keep them indoor all the time but Salem (Houdini) has been known to escape to have a look around so that makes me worry.

I have heard in time they will be able to make a chip that would go on a collar that you could track your pet through GPS. If they can sort that out, I might get a collar for my daughter.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Hmmm.......I never actually gave much thought to the brand of chip, but you made a great point about the universal readability, Amazonchix .

One of my dogs is chipped. The other one was supposed the be chipped, but there was a mix-up and the techs forgot to tell my vet to put the chip in ....we'll be getting her chipped soon .

When we had our most recent addition spayed, we wanted her chipped at the same time. I wasn't given an option of chip brand, my vet uses Home Again.

I asked about any possible side effects and my vet assured me there were none.

I'm curious how others answer your question, this is a good one .

Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
If your purpose is for identification - and I'm sorry if I'm a little bit off topic (hopefully not too far!) - have you thought about an ear tattoo? One picture of something easily distingushed and not easily described is an identifier of sorts. There seems to be a little shift that direction in some circles...it's worth a thought!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If your purpose is for identification - and I'm sorry if I'm a little bit off topic (hopefully not too far!) - have you thought about an ear tattoo? One picture of something easily distingushed and not easily described is an identifier of sorts. There seems to be a little shift that direction in some circles...it's worth a thought!
Tattoos can be altered or can fad over extended periods of time. We ruled this one out for our pets a while back.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Our breeder does not recommend chipping because she said she knows of instances where the chip migrated to the brain, or other parts of the body. After 6 years of worrying about my pet (and consulting with the vet) (so, maybe I am a worry-wart, OCD mom ), I had him microchipped. He's never out alone in the yard even if it is fenced, but like the poster said, what if something unforeseen happens - some natural disaster or whatever (even car accident) that allows my precious pooch to escape my grasp. Hopefully the chip will help reunite us if he's ever lost. It's worth the added peace of mind. I don't worry about the exception that a chip might migrate. Life is full of exceptions and hopefully they won't happen. We have Home Again.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I don't know much about microchips, but if I did get them, I would go with something that still mainstream so many can scan the chip.

However, do some research on this following links:

VeriChip Cancer Page

http://www.antichips.com/cancer/albr...r-synopsis.pdf

Implanted Microchips Cause Cance

Chip Implants Linked to Animal Tumors - washingtonpost.com

24PetWatch :: Do Microchips Cause Cancer? (http://www.24petwatch.com/do-microchips-cause-cancer.asp - broken link)
It definitely concerned me, but I can understand you seeking other opinions with vets...

I truly believe it is important to make an informed decision about your furry child and to examine all sources of information. Thanks for the links. I also believe it is imperative to consider the source of the information you are reading. Is this a layperson's opinion or researched backed information???

From all that I have read and heard thus far...the cases of cancer were in mice. Just as all the cancer cases with artificial sugar causes cancer have been in mice. The mice were given doses humans would never consume. There has been two cancer cases that have been questioned with microchipped dogs. From what was explained to me...any time you cause trauma to the body (a shot, micro chip, etc.) there is a chance for a cyst or tumor to form depending on the genetics of the pet. For example, one of our dogs has a marble size one cyst from a shot injection site.

Also, you have to consider the large amount of pets that are microchipped every single year in relation to the number of cases of pet cancer per year. Were these pets already predisposed to eventually get cancer, etc.? Is this a mere correlation rather than a direct response to the chip? Would the pet have developed cancer one way or the other? The chance of cancer seems like a small percentage to me when you consider all the other risks our pets may encounter. There is also a risk for surgery w/anesthetics playing a role in adverse reactions BUT I truly believe all pets should be spayed/neutered. It's like with us humans...if you drink too much alcohol you have the chance for health problems...but then they tell you to drink a glass of red wine daily for heart health. Women who use birth control are at higher risk of breast cancer (due to increased hormone levels), but many women continue to use birth control b/c the benefit out weighs the slighest risk.

As for migration: AVMA - Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association - 223(9):1316 - Abstract
I read another article that stated the chance for chip migration was associated with older chips. Also, I think it is important if you chose to chip to periodically have your vet scan your pet to make sure the chip is appropriately placed and still readable. Yes, I'm one of those over the top parents!

Does anyone else feel it comes down to evaluating the benefit vs. risk (it appears a slight one at that)? I'm not defending my wanting to microchip...I'm just sharing what I have brainstormed and processed regarding this subject. I still am open to feedback. I like debates that get me thinking!

Last edited by Amazonchix; 05-15-2008 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,525,776 times
I microchip using Home Again as what my vet uses. My female has 2 chips as breeder chipped but with a ISO chip and my vet cannot readit and local shelter cannot either.
I microchip all my hounds and my pups are microchipped also before sold. I would rather do this than lose one as have a shelter hound that had 50 minutes to live when got call as had no identification.

They do migrate some but do not think can go into brain as just under skin.
I look at chipping like I do fingerprinting my kids, If get lost good way to indentify and send home.

If stolen and sold may go to a vet and usually a vet will scan for chip on new dogs or cats and if your id come up and with home again any missing dogs get reported and identifying number,age,breed,color and all may help get them back.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
Amazonchix, absolutely. I totally agree with you in checking where the information comes from. You are right. I didn't know about the mice vs sugar vs cancer stuff and it's good to hear your perspective. Sometimes, things can get over-dramatized with these animal testing hence I believe for many things we don't need them...but that's another subject for another time..

In the case of doing your homework, I'd say you aren't over the top in the least! These days you really have to do your homework to make sure you are doing the right things. There's too many things out there can be just claims of good products or research and it's in fact just claims or false advertisements. That said, I think microchips are a good way to give your pet a better chance at reuniting with you if the chance happens where they get lost. I also believe that in addition to microchips I still think people should have collars on their pets because not every Joe SMith has a scanner laying around. If a stranger finds the animal it is so much easier when the animal has a proper ID on them (ei. name, your name, phone number, AND address). Some shelters don't have the funding to get the most updated scanners either. So, choosing the best microchip you will need to ask the question which product is mainstream and are they convertable, some microchips have internet resources that are very user friendly and there are some websites out there that specialize in lost pets. I did some research on this a long time ago, and can't remember the sites, but you sound like you are on the right track.

This is good for all of us to talk about since this can happen to anyone. Think of New Orleans and what happened to all those pets after the hurricane. So many pets were hard to find their owners because they weren't properly IDed and it was very frustrating for rescue organizations like Best Friends trying to get all the information.

So, good thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets