Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 04:08 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Just know an animal is a lifelong commitment. My previous dog had diabetes which required insulin injections every 12 hours for years. My present dog is 13 years old and in great health.

Dogs live can live up to 18 years and cats can live for 25 years.

Can you make a commitment for 18 or 25 years?
THIS.

Even if you find RVing with a pet isn't ideal, then the RVing would have to go; you have a commitment to your pet for the next 20 years. You can shave a few years off that by adopting an adult or senior animal. And pet food and vet care costs are skyrocketing like everything else, so keep that in mind.

If by off-grid, you mean no utilities, remember that you must maintain temperature control for a pet living inside, especially if you leave it behind in your rig while you go elsewhere (pets aren't allowed everywhere).

"Protection"? Buy a gun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 05:35 PM

14 posts, read 10,414 times
It is always hard for me to answer the question "cats or dogs" as I love both. But if I led an RV life, I'd choose a small dog.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I would get a smallish dog that doesn't shed much. That would be a very important point for me.

I love cats too but there are some considerations about them.

1) They aren't protective of you or anyone else other than themselves.

2) You said no litterbox so they will be taking care of business outslde. Cats tend to wander quite a bit. You may not be able to find your cat before you leave.

3) Cats really should eat some soft canned food - they often get most of their water from their food. I hate to say this but I've never smelled any canned cat food that smelled good. Pretty sure most of it smells RANK. This will make your RV stink.

Like I said, I love me some kitties and I actually have two dogs and two kittens but if I was in an RV, I'd have just one smallish dog that doesn't shed.

Old 04-01-2023, 01:23 AM

12 posts, read 11,448 times
It totally depends on what you want, however a Golden Retriever could be a good breed of dog for your needs. Golden Retrievers have a velvety, thick coat that keeps them warm in the winter. They are faithful, friendly, and good protectors. They also go outside to do their business, so they don't need litter boxes. Also, they are nice to cuddle with and don't have any weird smells.

Old 04-01-2023, 03:53 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
This thread is from 2021 and the last reply is from 2022. OP has probably figured out their answer by now.

Old 04-01-2023, 05:17 PM

23,299 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina Adam View Post
It totally depends on what you want, however a Golden Retriever could be a good breed of dog for your needs. Golden Retrievers have a velvety, thick coat that keeps them warm in the winter. They are faithful, friendly, and good protectors. They also go outside to do their business, so they don't need litter boxes. Also, they are nice to cuddle with and don't have any weird smells.
You're obviously new here. Before contributing to existing discussion threads, check the date of the last reply. It is clearly located at the top lefthand corner of the reply box.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:48 PM

I see nothing wrong with discussions continuing regardless of the date and/or whether or not the OP is likely still reading; others benefit from the responses.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:18 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
It's fine as long as people understand that A. they are not giving advice to the OP, and B. other posters they respond to may be long-gone as well and might never see it.

But often these threads are filled with people who don't see the dates, and start responding to posts from years ago as if it's a current conversation, or giving advice to an OP whose issue was resolved years ago.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:44 PM

Again, so what? If the OP or other posters have subscribed to the thread, they'll see the responses. That's what I'm still doing here! And, again, someone new to it may benefit from reading the thread. I don't see a need for any "policing" of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets