Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 11:19 AM

117 posts, read 93,075 times

Advertisements

I agree TheShadow. My original post was just a start at my research effort in determining a particular dog.
Next, comes investing time reading about this, definitely.

[Mod cut: discussing other members]

Last edited by elnina; 04-10-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Adopting from a shelter or rescue is a good start but since you have specific behaviors in mind it would probably be best if you worked with a group that utilizes fosters. The foster will have had the dog in their house and they'll be able to give you first hand knowledge of the dog's behavior. There are no guarantees as to how a dog will behave once it's in your home so please be flexible in your expectations and willing to work on any imperfections (not meant as snark.)

I'm a long time volunteer in the shelter/rescue/foster world so I understand the blowback you're getting with your list - my first reaction to your post was not positive. My advice is to go into your search with an open mind and an open heart. You might be surprised at how your "must have" can turn into a "we can work on that." Good luck with your search and keep us posted
Not taken as snark. Appreciate your intelligent and genuine response. That does make sense.

My full intention is to commit to an animal for its entire life. I just simply posted questions that would stimulates range of responses based on experiences of pet owners. If I brought home an animal and it created an unexpected set of challenges, I commit to the dog, 100%

Old 04-10-2022, 11:28 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
A plushie.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
A plushie.
You're officially now part of the cool crowd. And very original.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:43 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You are determined to source your new pet at the pound, so you ask the wrong question.

It makes no difference what breed would suit your needs, what you should be asking is how well can I fit a pitbull or a cattle dog cross into my wish list. You aren't going to walk into the local shelter and get a nice healthy mentally stable Japanese Chin, no matter how many years you wait for one. So it makes no difference if the Chin is the perfect dog for your situation.

Answer: if you get a dog over the age of two and provide the proper chew toys, you should be able to train the dog to not chew on your furniture and cabinets as a fairly easy task.

Both pitbulls and cattle dog crosses can be the very best of dogs. They both require a lot of exercise and a very firm set of rules that they are required to follow. They both need training on an ongoing schedule because they both will take over pack leadership if no one else is taking that position.. They both shed. The pitbull probably sheds less than the cattle dog. But "less" is a relative term.

Both of those breeds are protective, but they can be trained to not bite strangers, as long as the stranger isn't actually threatening their master.

Illness is a hit or miss thing. A careful pedigree can reduce ( not eliminate) the chance of inherited illness, but you don't get any pedigree from the pound and the pound puppy is probably random bred, so health could be anything. You improve health in your dog by giving the recommended routine vaccines, feed a high quality diet, keep the dog lean and fit and well exercised, don't let the dog wander unattended, watch that the dog doesn't pick up stuff he shouldn't eat.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 04-10-2022 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:49 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Yes, cost of healthcare, grooming and food should also be taken into consideration.
Also, if you live in a HOA managed neighborhood, please check on their regulations. HOA's have the right to limit pets as long as all restrictions are stated clearly in the legal documents. Many HOA CC&Rs will have pet limitations, including weight limitations and they can restrict you from owning certain pets.

Last edited by elnina; 04-10-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 11:56 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Your local shelter has a boxer and an Australian Cattle Dog and a Great Dane and a bull terrier. All four of those, by their photo, are pit bull crosses and don't look anything like a Boxer, A Great Dane, or a Bull Terrier. Since an "Australian Cattle dog" isn't a breed, I don't know what one looks like, but that one looks like a pit bull cross and it looks like a littermate of their "Boxer"

They also have three huskies who look handsome, are going to shed like maniacs, be tough to train for someone who doesn't want to put a huge amount of time in, and who will roam over a wide area if you don't have Fort Knox fencing to keep them in. However, they probably won't be prone to biting or barking, unless you leave them outside full time, and they are all three of them extremely handsome, in case, you enjoy admiring glances at your dog as you walk around the park.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:10 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It's probably advised to Google "high maintenance dogs" to read about possible problems and care. There are many blogs online.
Because a "low maintenance” dog is one that’s well cared for. He’s contented, and doesn’t pace or whine for attention. He doesn’t get upset when you leave the house, or engage in unwanted behaviors.
So, it's kind of a contradictory statement, as you see. They ALL require a specific amount of care and attention. It definitely doesn’t meant neglecting his needs for the owner's own convenience.
https://midogguide.com/dog-breeds/wh...-dog-mean.html
https://www.thepetspeople.com/11-hig...pooch-parents/

Old 04-10-2022, 12:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveburbank View Post
Not taken as snark. Appreciate your intelligent and genuine response. That does make sense.

My full intention is to commit to an animal for its entire life. I just simply posted questions that would stimulates range of responses based on experiences of pet owners. If I brought home an animal and it created an unexpected set of challenges, I commit to the dog, 100%
And thank you OP for the serious thought you're putting into this decision. One other thing to think about - although the best outcome is for an adopted dog to work out in its new home, sometimes that just doesn't happen and it's not anyone's fault.

The goal of Rescues isn't just to find "a" home for the animals, but to find the right home for them. Committing 100% to making it work is a great attitude but it wouldn't make sense for the dog or the owner to go through a decade together with challenges that are just too much. Most Rescues will keep trying until the right home is found so don't be too hard on yourself if there are bumps along the road.

Old 04-10-2022, 12:45 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Maybe a Greyhound? I've never owned one but, from what I understand of the breed, they are fairly easy to manage. I mention them not to encourage that you get one but it might be a breed to look into based on your requirements.

Retriever puppies, whether they are golden or lab, are going to be chewers. As others have said, all puppies go through a chewing phase but retrievers are pretty notorious for it. We've had 3 dogs - a Golden, Staffy mix and a German Shepherd and our Golden was by far the biggest chewer of the 3.
Our daughter has a greyhound/lurcher who was rescued from awful circumstances (illegal racing) and that boy is just a big ole lazy love bug! He had never been inside a home before but he took to the sofa like he was "to the manor born" He's the only greyhound I have ever known since greyhounds are usually in breed specific Rescues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets