Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 10:04 AM

2,275 posts, read 3,077,005 times

Advertisements

I have a dog and have had two dogs previously. If it were up to me I wouldn't own any pets, however. Mine were VERY well trained, but of course that took a LOT of work, and time, and diligence to ensure that they were that way, but then I still had to deal with the constant dog hair in the house, occasional barking, making sure they were let out to go to the bathroom, daily walks, etc. They still rarely, but occasionally marked in the house, which would of course require thorough cleanup to remove the pee and all traces of the smell. I'm mildly OCD, so this is why dog ownership probably isn't for me, but I got one out of satisfying my wife and daughters love of animals (which is ironic given my wife is also mildly OCD). But while mine have been fine companions, I still wouldn't even call myself a dog lover.

They can certainly be cute, but their need for constant attention and interaction get's old after a while, plus the myriad of dog toys all over the house and dog hair makes it tough for someone like me, and I don't like being tied down by all that being a good and proper pet owner entails (I mean, I can't go on an vacations without ensuring there is someone to take care of the dog or paying many $100s of dollars to a boarding kennel). It's the dog owners who are undisciplined and allow their dogs to be undisciplined that really irk me, though. It gives dog-owners a bad name. It is what it is and I'll probably never completely understand it.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:19 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
It's the social kiss of death to say you don't like dogs because it seems like 99% of people do, but I'm coming out...I dislike dogs very much. I'm a 1%er. All the known reasons: incessant barking, emotionally needy/up in your grill all the time, messy, slobbering, dog hair everywhere, etc. All the training in the world makes no difference, I just don't get it. Even worse are dog people who judge you for liking cats instead. They think you're weird or you're of another persuasion for having them or they judge you because of it as not being social/extroverted enough (well, maybe that part is true ). "Must love dogs!" Yeah, well, guess what? I'm an out and proud cat-lover. My cat greets me every time I come home and is the sweetest little guy - not a douchebag at all. He's not overly needy, is clean, and he's certainly not loud and obnoxious. I did have to try a few out before finding the right fit, but I put in the work. The big downside to cats is they scratch everything, can't deny that. (One time I went with my friend to a house-gathering where they had a "difficult" cat, and that cat came right up to me. The host says, "Wow, he's generally not like that." That's cat-whisperer skills.)

My neighbor has three massive inside dogs and of course they always bark at me when they're let out. THREE...for inside the home . Why? Dogs are excellent as service animals and do a lot of good. I suspect that's a huge reason they get the highest elevation and praise in regard to pet ownership. Dogs will help find drugs or bodies or help blind people or alert you to trespassers, while a cat will be like, "Eh, save yourself. Stop interrupting my nap."

But for me: cats > dogs. All day, every day.

#winning. Yeeeee doggie!

Old 05-05-2022, 10:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
I agree with the comment about the social kiss of death, but I neither like nor dislike ALL dogs (or cats or horses). It totally depend on the behavior of the dog and, often, its owner.

For example, I hate having a dog jump on me. But if the owner immediately corrects the dog and keeps it from repeating the behavior, I get it—dogs need training. However, if the owner gets huffy and snotty (e.g., “You must not be a dog person!”) because I tell the dog Off or Down, I do not ever want that dog OR owner to get near me again. Some owners believe that their Dog Can Do No Wrong, Ever.

Just as bad are the owners whose rude dog bounds up barking with tail wagging and demands my adoration (GAG). If I ignore the dog (to teach it not to assume everybody wants contact), that owner can either get hold of the dog and apologize (OK) or act as though I am an ax murderer just for not “obeying” the dog’s demands for attention (that’s the OWNER’S problem).

Dogs that are actually aggressive, I have no tolerance for. Friendly, rude ones need an owner to manage them, but I don’t hate them for that.

Fortunately, there are dogs who have enough natural sense to be more cautious when meeting strangers and just stand or sit calmly while observing. More like a cat...

P.S.
Free-R, did you see the video of the adopted cat who protected the owners’ toddler when a neighbor’s vicious dog escaped its yard and attacked the kid? Their surveillance video recorded the whole thing, including how the cat, after driving away the dog and allowing the kid to get away, came back to rush at the dog that was still nearby. As if warning it, “Don’t even think about it!” That video went viral and the cat received an award.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I dislike them in my personal space. I grew up with dogs so there is certainly no hatred towards them, but after putting my last dog to sleep about 6-7 years ago (best dog in the world) I swore i wouldn't get another. Having young children taking up all our time, this has been easy to do. Hard to deal with three kids and our tight schedule and care for a dog, so we simply don't have one.

But this has slowly morphed into a dislike of other folks dogs when they come into my personal space. We don't allow dogs in the house, in any of our cars, and i strongly dislike when we vacation with extended family and they bring their dogs.

Again, i don't hate dogs, i just don't want other folk's dogs around me.
Wow, that is exactly how I feel about other people’s dogs in my personal space. Their place—the dog belongs there. My place—my rules apply. With so many people owning dogs now, I feel like we need to explicitly tell them the dog is not invited in.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Used to own dogs. Cairn and Norfolk Terriers. They are a lot of work but can be well trained and good pets.

But i don't have to like YOUR Dog. Not when it assaults me if i come to visit (my problem, i guess) and especially when i am, walking through Home Depot and a small horse wanders by, or a mutt, or a little toy something. No interest. MY space. Not your dogs...and what is the matter with YOU to allow your dog to come into a store? How/when/where/why did THAT ever get started?

Funny, dogs in Europe are allowed even in restaurants. But they lay quietly under the table or the owners chair. Just gently doing their thing and paying no never mind to me. Fine. Exactly the way it should be.

Maybe it's the owners more than the dogs? They do as they are trained to do.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:55 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
I don't dislike dogs. They are just not for me. I believe every friend I have has a dog.

I remember my cousins always owning St Bernard's and one time I petted one of the dog's at their home and got a load of sticky slobber all over my hand and forearm. I thought it was disgusting and since they loved the dog, I acted like it was no big deal, just "a thing" when I really wanted to scream out loud. Another time I was at a friend's house and she had several German Shepherds. I remember doing some stretching exercises on her carpeted floor and when I leaned over to stretch face down I could smell this horrible very strong smelly odor and decided quickly that being stiff was a better idea that day.

There are some very cute dogs like Jack Russell terriers or Pomeranians. I love animals so dog people can certainly be dog people.

Cats are cute and clean and fluffy and you can snuggle up to them. Plus you don't have to take them outside in cold weather to walk them. So I am a cat person vice a dog person.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:07 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
P.S.
Free-R, did you see the video of the adopted cat who protected the owners’ toddler when a neighbor’s vicious dog escaped its yard and attacked the kid? Their surveillance video recorded the whole thing, including how the cat, after driving away the dog and allowing the kid to get away, came back to rush at the dog that was still nearby. As if warning it, “Don’t even think about it!” That video went viral and the cat received an award.
Yes. It's an amazing video. Probably super rare for that to happen, though, and part of me wonders if it was just cat/dog territorial stuff instead of a human-protection thing. But still cool that that aggressive dog got served cat justice and the boy's life was saved.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:26 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It’s interesting - I used to feel that way. Partially because I grew up with a golden retriever that was just the best dog in the world. But I’ve since met some really sweet, well behaved pit bulls and some really obnoxious (though never aggressive) goldens, etc. But I get it in a general sense. I would say even now trust is harder earned for certain breeds than others for me. My worst experiences have been with small breeds though. I was bitten twice as a child by two different small breeds and was hospitalized after one of the incidents and had to get stitches.
Dogs, just like any other animal are individuals and products of their experiences/upbringing/training/heredity. People make unfair generalizations about many breeds. Goldens are sweet, docile, endlessly patient blah blah blah. Pits are hair triggered, vicious, and aggressive blah blah blah. Lap/toy breeds are cute, loving, and harmless. The only breed I've ever been physically attacked by unprovoked was a golden retriever. Some of the nastiest dogs I've ever spent time around were surly, snarly little fluffballs tipping the scale at 10 lbs or less. A few of the goofiest, lovey dovey dogs were massively muscled pits capable of ripping your arm off. This breed is this, that breed is that. There are exceptions to all of them which is why clueless dog shoppers end up in trouble!

Old 05-05-2022, 12:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirotek View Post
It seems that it's pretty common for people to hate cats but I almost never hear of people hating dogs and I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one.

Throughout the pandemic with working from home, the most annoying part of online work meetings was people with dogs. There's no worse sound in your ear than some obnoxious barking in the background. I don't understand how people live with this on a daily basis. Every time a car drives by or when the mailman comes to the door, it's like all hell breaks loose. Even the average alarm clock sound is less annoying to my ears.

And then there's the smell. Every time I go over to someone's house who owns a dog or even get in someone's car who owns a dog, I can smell it immediately. It's a musty stagnant water kind of smell. I'm hesitant to sit on their sofa because it's always covered in the smell, the hair, and slobber. I do notice that people with smaller dogs have less of a smell in their homes or cars.

I have a friend with a golden retriever and although he is really cute looking, the jumping up on my clean pants as soon as I enter the door and constantly sniffing me or licking me is gross. I have another friend with a Dachshund and although they don't jump, she does bark constantly until I sit down on the sofa.

And then you have dog owners who often times can be just as obnoxious as the dogs they own. No telling how many times I've been charged at by some angry looking Pit Bull at my local park and I hear "It's okay, he's friendly!" like 20 miles away from the owner who isn't even paying attention.

Even if you hate cats, you almost never have to deal with them when you go to a park or go over to someone's house because they are in hiding and aren't barking or jumping on your legs.

Does anyone else here dislike dogs?
Nope, I like dogs. But I've developed a severe dog dander allergy and have to stay away from them. We always had dogs before that and I do miss them, but thankfully I just have a mild cat allergy and can still enjoy our kitties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Lots of people wouldn't keep a dog of any kind, not to mention a cat.

Also huge amounts of money get spent on dogs. Boggles the mind. Dogs in the US have better food, health care, and toys than kids in many third world countries.
Pet owners (regardless of the pet species) are supposed to care for their pet(s) to the best of their ability, including food and health care. Parents are supposed to care for their kids. Responsible people who cannot afford to take care of pets won't take in pets. Responsible people who cannot afford to take care of kids won't have any kids. I find it outrageous to complain about people spending their money on pets who are sentient beings who deserve care, when many people spend $$$ on very expensive cars they don't need, live in huge houses they don't need, spend $ at starbucks every day, go on very expensive vacations they don't need, buy countless gadgets they don't need, constantly eat out when they could cook at home, etc. How many 3rd world kids would the money for that $100,000 range rover or 20 grand vacation or huge house or restaurant visits feed? Boggles the mind.

Old 05-05-2022, 12:37 PM

2,537 posts, read 2,735,966 times
I like dogs better than people especially from what I have seen over the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets