Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 06:33 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,565,313 times

Advertisements

Dandi is almost twelve years old, weighs 100 pounds and loves to watch birds.

We've had her here with us since she was a few weeks old. We gave her to our male german shepherd Mack who was about six years old at the time. He would not let her eat a bite at mealtime until he finished his food and sometimes he would just lay beside his food bowl for 15-20 minutes just to annoy her(or show his male dominance.) They were a riot to watch. Every time she would try to take a bite from her bowl he would growl loudly and if she dared to defy him the chase was on. He couldn't catch her but he would run her away from her bowl.

Old Mack showed up with cancer in his mouth and we had to have him put down about two or three years ago. Dandi became a different dog. It took her a while to realize that she was the new governor around here. She has seen me restock the bird feeders around our lake house all her life and now one of her favorite pastimes is lying within 10-15 feet of two of our most popular feeders and watching the birds as they gobble up the seeds. She really does watch them and they know she's no threat so they completely ignore her. It's obvious to us that her favorite birds are the doves and cardinals.

We are fascinated by the whole thing.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 01-23-2011 at 06:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,682,342 times
I have an 11 year old GSD that watches them too LOL. He also likes to lay near the bunny nests in the spring and watch them. What's even odder is one of my cats will bring me baby bunnies (alive, and very carefully). I think the cat thinks we need to help them LOL

Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,565,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
I have an 11 year old GSD that watches them too LOL. He also likes to lay near the bunny nests in the spring and watch them. What's even odder is one of my cats will bring me baby bunnies (alive, and very carefully). I think the cat thinks we need to help them LOL
That's funny. Our gsd isn't nearly as sympathetic concerning new bunnies...If I can't manage to see her pick one up and get to her within seconds I hear that crunching sound which is it's skull. I think she learned that from our old male gsd before it met it's demise. She can eat a small rabbit and completely swallow it within a minute or so. We never notice any decrease in their numbers. This place is covered with rabbits and squirrels.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:15 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,286,519 times
That's great! Do you think you could snap a picture of it?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,682,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That's funny. Our gsd isn't nearly as sympathetic concerning new bunnies...If I can't manage to see her pick one up and get to her within seconds I hear that crunching sound which is it's skull. I think she learned that from our old male gsd before it met it's demise. She can eat a small rabbit and completely swallow it within a minute or so. We never notice any decrease in their numbers. This place is covered with rabbits and squirrels.
yeah, pip doesn't bother the local wildlife, and deer and horses confuse him LOL

Shadow is the cat we have who tries to save the bunnies... the others will gladly kill them (and birds).

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,967,527 times
My german shepherd likes to sit by the back door and watch the birds through the window. We have a bird feeder out there and will have about a dozen birds out there in the afternoons. I sprinkle seed in the grass too so they'll walk around on the ground.

He amazes me sometimes with how intelligent he is. We were playing the other day, and an airplane was flying overhead. He stopped and looked straight at it like he was trying to figure out what it was. I've never seen any other dog focus on an airplane. Mine is a little over 1 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets