U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adoption agency(humane society) or breeder?
Adoption agency 74 87.06%
breeder 11 12.94%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

22 posts, read 102,106 times

Advertisements

i was curious to see what people felt was the best way to purcase a new pet? we have had two dogs in my life time, a schnauzer which we purchased from a breeder and another which is a mutt form the humane society. do u guys feel people should spend thousands of dollars on animals from pure breeders or should they spend the 60 bucks and buy a dog from the humane society? with the humane society u save an animals life
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,261,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305marino954 View Post
with the humane society u save an animals life
you just answered your own question

Old 06-24-2008, 05:25 PM

7,473 posts, read 22,174,128 times
Human society is the only way to get a pet. They make great pets, and you are saving a life. They won't ever forget that.
If you watch the news lately, some of those high dollar pets from a quality pet store, are bred under the most inhumane conditions, and they pass them off as having had perfect care.
As far as having pet with papers, I have yet to ever see a dog that can read...!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM

20,868 posts, read 22,046,605 times
We have saved 3 from the pound. it's the only way to go.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 PM

946 posts, read 2,840,341 times
In my eyes, they're all animals and they all deserve a happy, healthy life, whether they came from a pet store or an adoption center. Yes I know the argument that animals in adoption centers have usually been through a lot and are usually rescued from terrible conditions, but what will happen to those innocent puppies that breeders so selfishly breed and are sold in pet stores? Don't they also deserve a good home? I know if people would stop buying them, breeders wouldn't exist, but it's going to take a lot for that to happen.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM

12,408 posts, read 18,298,148 times
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to a pet store for a pet.

No matter WHAT they tell you, the animals are from puppy mills, mistreated, ill bred, and I have seen so many temperamental and health problems with them. They will ALL tell you their animals do not come from the mass breeders. They will show you paperwork. Bull!!!

Some states have actually banned pet shops from selling cats and dogs because this problem is so endemic to the business.

Some people like to go to breeders for a specific kind of dog, but you can now find these breeds in shelters, and there are specialty shelters for these dogs, as well.

Frankly, every shelter dog I have had has been smart and very appreciative and a true friend. Purebred dogs have inbred genetic weaknesses that they do not breed out of them, as they are recessive genes, creating difficulty to control. Many of these defects are only noticeable later in life. German Sheps with the painful hip displacia, Irish Setters going blind, Great Danes have too small hearts - when you choose a mixed breed often those genetic problems are canceled out. You can get a dog that is slightly older if you want to see what it most likely will grow into. Also, a slightly older dog will give the vet more to work with as you would want to bring any dog to a vet to make sure he is in good health.

Either shell out the money for a breeder and make sure you go to one with a good reputation who shows the dogs and breeds for temperament as well as physical characteristics or adopt a pet who desperately needs a human friend from a shelter.

Never go to a shop, please!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 22,174,128 times
Watch Animal Police on the Animal channel. it's all about different cities animal police rescuing animals living under terrible conditions. They rescue the animals and bring them back to health and then adopt them out. The animals are so appreciative, and make the most wonderful pets. It's a favorite show of mine, seeing the down trodden animals find new homes. It will tug at your heart....

Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 PM

702 posts, read 2,439,905 times
I have had two dogs from a breeder and two from the pound (city/county facility). The dogs my parents purchased from a breeder were well known, took care of their dogs, understood genetics and proper breeding practices. We went to their home on both occassions to pick up the dogs and saw their whole operation. I don't have issues with responsible breeders, I think they can maintain the integrity of the breed. Responsible breeders also screen families and often make arrangements that if the dog loses its home, it is to be returned to the breeder. I take issue with the puppy mills and any industry/person supporting them.

As I grew up and learned about all the unwanted pets in shelters I knew I would never purchase another dog from a breeder, but that I would rescue a dog from a shelter or breed rescue. I even volunteer for a rescue -and it's heart breaking being in that network, all the emails - "please help, this beautiful dog has only 2 days left". It's so sad on some days and joyous on other days.

As they say - "don't buy while shelter animals die"

Last edited by Calidreemer; 06-24-2008 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 06:22 AM

46,365 posts, read 57,779,663 times
I agree with don2390, watch a few of the Animal Planet shows, and you will not want to take a chance of supporting a puppy mill by buying a pet at a pet store. Besides, they are way overpriced.
Make sure the shelter dogs are well screened and socialized, then rescue one. Those animals are so deserving of a good home. Despite having been badly treated, they still remain loving and trusting.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,300,239 times
As a breeder never a pet store! Directly from breeder who have checked out, a breed rescue or a animal shelter.I have done both and will always.This weekend I am even having a fundraiser for 2 county shelters and volunteer at 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets