Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM

13 posts, read 46,567 times

Advertisements

So, cats and dogs get all the love. Where are my ferret friends?! I love mine. He is my first. He likes to play tag with me and my husband. His name is Socrates. A year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:24 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,472 times
we dont have one.
My dh hates them. totally refuses to allow them in the house. I had 3 of them growing up though. they were awesome pets and we never caged them. so much fun. Out of the 3 we only had one with a bad scent.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times
I just can't get into the thought of a ferret pet. They're nippy, stinky little buggers that are more trouble than they're worth. I've had several friends who had them for pets, and all of them smelled bad, and all of them were biters.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I just can't get into the thought of a ferret pet. They're nippy, stinky little buggers that are more trouble than they're worth. I've had several friends who had them for pets, and all of them smelled bad, and all of them were biters.
You obviously had bad experience w/ them. Mine are all so sweet and would never bite. One sat on my shoulder while I passed out candy on Halloween. Properly trained ferrets from a reputable breeder are not nippy and they don't have to smell if they are descented and groomed.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,875 times
I used to have two ferrets that I loved (Clyde and Duncan). They were so adorable and hyper and chased my cats all the time Unfortunately, they are not with me anymore and I never got any more. (they were a lot of work!)

Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
You obviously had bad experience w/ them. Mine are all so sweet and would never bite. One sat on my shoulder while I passed out candy on Halloween. Properly trained ferrets from a reputable breeder are not nippy and they don't have to smell if they are descented and groomed.
All the ferrets I have experienced have been descented and their owners took very good care of them, but they still smelled like ferret musk. I'll stick with my dogs and birds, tyvm. The ferrets are all yours!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
All the ferrets I have experienced have been descented and their owners took very good care of them, but they still smelled like ferret musk. I'll stick with my dogs and birds, tyvm. The ferrets are all yours!
That's fine you feel that way. Baby wipes do wonders for keeping ferrets fresh. They're not for everyone. I'm also into exotics and have a room off our family room for the ferrets and sugar gliders. I do have a chinchilla in the house, but she's super clean. I too favor my dogs and am down to just a couple of birds. They are messy!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM

i have a friend that had a bitey one. i think it depends on the time you spend with them and how they are trained. you do have to keep a clean house. they explore EVERYTHING. he doesn't chew on things though. although, sometimes he does hid my shoes.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 PM

i agree. mine rides around with me. doesn't bite. he does like to chase me though. :0D

Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
We started the year with 7, we now have three. Two passed of old age, two of cancer. Ferrets are not for everyone for sure. The smell may be a aquired flavor, we love their smell. Usually the biters do not get enough play time daily, they need at least four hours of out of the cage play time. Ours are free roamers, they sleep where they want and respect our sleep. Often one or more will sleep on the bed with us.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets