Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:51 PM

170 posts, read 580,655 times

Advertisements

We are getting a new addition tomorrow..............I attached a pic.

Any information will help me. TIA. First, we are driving tomorrow 7 hours to get a 4 month old female Chi/Terrier mix and then coming back on Sunday. How often do I stop for the dog to get out and run/use the bathroom? Where do I stop at to take the dog to run/use the bathroom? I am bringing a crate for her to ride back in and have some "dog mats" to use too for the bottom of the crate. Or would a blanket be better for that? Anything else I need or need to be concerned about with transporting an animal for 7 hours(I do know that I need food and water for her)? I have another dog but haven't driven more than an hour with him so I am not sure how this will go.

Also, my sister just gave the dog medicine for worms. Do the worms affect other people with petting the dog? Playing with other dogs, etc.

I hope this poor girl won't cry the whole time
Attached Thumbnails
Chi/Terrier mix.  Need Help-dscf1758.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 PM

110 posts, read 376,832 times
Stopping every couple hours to take the dog out of the car should be adequate. Stop at a rest stop or truck stop. Keep the dog on a leash and avoid using the dog-designated areas because of disease. Hopefully, your dog is already fully vaccinated. The puppy would probably appreciate a blanket to snuggle in. If your dog has been treated for worms there should be no problem with people or dogs.

Forgive me for saying so, but you don't seem to be prepared for a dog. Waiting until hours after you get one to ask questions is not a good sign. I would suggest that you be 100% positive to get all vaccination health records from your sister and then take them to your vet, along with your dog, as soon as possible. Puppies need two sets of vaccinations, not just one. Also, if you sister used an over-the-counter worm medication rather than one dispensed by a vet, it is probably worthless. If your dog has been given proper worm medication there is no concern about human or animals being in contact with your dog. However, if your dog is not fully vaccinated (both sets of shots), your dog should not be in contact with other dogs at rest stops or in the park. I suggest that you get Patricia McConnell's book, "The Other End of the Leash" immediately to help you with training and behavior issues and that you take your puppy to an obedience school that uses only gentle methods.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraMoon View Post
Stopping every couple hours to take the dog out of the car should be adequate. Stop at a rest stop or truck stop. Keep the dog on a leash and avoid using the dog-designated areas because of disease. Hopefully, your dog is already fully vaccinated. The puppy would probably appreciate a blanket to snuggle in. If your dog has been treated for worms there should be no problem with people or dogs.

Forgive me for saying so, but you don't seem to be prepared for a dog. Waiting until hours after you get one to ask questions is not a good sign. I would suggest that you be 100% positive to get all vaccination health records from your sister and then take them to your vet, along with your dog, as soon as possible. Puppies need two sets of vaccinations, not just one. Also, if you sister used an over-the-counter worm medication rather than one dispensed by a vet, it is probably worthless. If your dog has been given proper worm medication there is no concern about human or animals being in contact with your dog. However, if your dog is not fully vaccinated (both sets of shots), your dog should not be in contact with other dogs at rest stops or in the park. I suggest that you get Patricia McConnell's book, "The Other End of the Leash" immediately to help you with training and behavior issues and that you take your puppy to an obedience school that uses only gentle methods.
Thanks for your help. I certainly appreciate it. I was pretty much concerned about the whole ride back because I haven't done that before with our other dog. The dog isn't vaccinated yet so if my sister can get an appointment, maybe we can do that tomorrow, otherwise it will be done on Monday. Just curious.....have you used the book you suggested, just wondering if you found it useful or knew someone who did.

Oh, and as my OP stated, we are going tomorrow to get the dog and won't be bringing it home until Sunday. Plenty of time to get some useful information from the fine folks on this board BEFORE we bring our new addition home.

Again, thank you!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 AM

376 posts, read 1,805,088 times
Your new puppy is a little cutie. You should not have any problems as long as you stop every couple of hours at a rest area so small fry can stretch legs and do their business. Personally, I probably would not feed, just water while travelling.I would agree with PP that if baby has not had vaccinations, keep it away from other dogs/dog areas at the rest stops. I would also suggest an old blanket or towel for the crate -- plus a roll of paper towels in case puppy has motion sickness issues. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM

5,323 posts, read 18,216,826 times
The dog should have at least one round of vaccinations in it's system for two weeks before touching public ground! Two would be much better of course.

At 16 weeks the pup should have completed all vaccinations!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM

110 posts, read 376,832 times
Yes, I've used Patricia's McConnell's The Other End of the Leashas well as her other books. I highly recommend her. Good luck with your puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
Thanks for your help. I certainly appreciate it. I was pretty much concerned about the whole ride back because I haven't done that before with our other dog. The dog isn't vaccinated yet so if my sister can get an appointment, maybe we can do that tomorrow, otherwise it will be done on Monday. Just curious.....have you used the book you suggested, just wondering if you found it useful or knew someone who did.

Oh, and as my OP stated, we are going tomorrow to get the dog and won't be bringing it home until Sunday. Plenty of time to get some useful information from the fine folks on this board BEFORE we bring our new addition home.

Again, thank you!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Well, just wanted to let you know that we made it home safe and sound. She did pretty well except for messing in her crate one time. She tried to tell us but it just wasn't good timing. She pretty much woke up and said "I have to go potty". She is quite the handful. LOL Our other dog was pretty much out of the puppy stage so this is new to me. She is a small 8 pounds. Much smaller than she looks in the pic, I think. My husband calls her "little britches" lol............Her REAL name is Zoey! Also, she was treated for roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms. No sign of the little buggers so far. Will retreat again according to directions. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,382,858 times
Thanks for the update, glad the trip back went well. Re the worms, would probably bring in a fecal sample to the vet for a check, some worms are not visible to the naked eye, they can only been seen under a microscope, and they sooner they're treated the better (am thinking whipworms, not sure about the others). Hope everyone had a Happy Fourth of July w/ little Miss Zoey!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,215,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
The dog should have at least one round of vaccinations in it's system for two weeks before touching public ground! Two would be much better of course.

At 16 weeks the pup should have completed all vaccinations!
I so agree! I'm glad you made it home w/ her, but now get to the vet! This pup should have received 3 sets of distemper, plus rabies by now. You also better have her tested for parvo and heartworm.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 12,064 times
i have a 5 week old pup. i went to the vet and was told to wait for de worming and shots. but im mad, i wanted it to be done prior to the pup in my home. i have three childre and two of them cant keep there hands off. the vet assistant stated the dog still has the moms vacenations in her, is this true? and does it help with the worms? i dont want the kids getting worms. i am freaking out i cant sleep. my puppy has started eating puppy food and her belly ig growing but my husband said, think she has worms? i am totaly freaking out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets