Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times

Advertisements

While reading other posts, I got curious as to whether a veterinarian is legally bound to give a prescription rather than dispense medication in house. I have no desire to start a legal debate since I'm really not smart enough to debate, but here's what I found - and it indicates that while perhaps not legally bound, they ARE bound by their Code of Ethics. Make of it what you will, but this is from the AVMA site (American Veterinary Medical Association). I was not aware of this info and I'm sure others aren't as well...it appears the consumer is perfectly within their rights to ask for a valid Rx to be filled somewhere else. Of course, I suppose your vet could terminate you at that point ... but I would surely hope not.

Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics of the AVMA (http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/ethics.asp - broken link)

Please note Section III C (1) - and you have to read Section II to get the basics, but a VCPR is a patient-client relationship.

"Dispensing or prescribing a prescription product requires a VCPR
1. Veterinarians should honor a clients request for a prescription in lieu of dispensing.
2. Without a VCPR, veterinarians merchandising or use of veterinary prescription drugs or their extra-label use of any pharmaceutical is unethical and is illegal under federal law."

The AVMA has also issued a statement on online pharmacies covered in this bulletin:

Position Statement on Internet Pharmacies (http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/internet_pharmacies.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 03:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I understand the only med that is regulated is the rabies vaccine. All others are available at feed stores for farm/ranch use. No prescription needed.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:08 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I understand the only med that is regulated is the rabies vaccine. All others are available at feed stores for farm/ranch use. No prescription needed.
Are you saying I can get ear medication for my dog from a feed store, and without the vet's prescription? Really? Or did you just mean farm animals?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 PM

155 posts, read 941,894 times
You can buy rabies vaccines and all the others and vaccinate your own dogs. Lots of breeders do. However some states do prohibit the shipping of live vaccine.

My vet pretty much gives you the choice if you want meds or a script.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Maybe I didn't word my post correctly. I wasn't really referring to the rabies vaccine, but rather to HW meds, maintenance meds, antibiotics, etc. A number of people have reported their vet either would not give them a prescription for medication and insisted on filling it in-house, or strongly discouraged the use of online pharmacies. That was sort of my point...by their own Code of Ethics, vets are bound to give you a prescription and not deny it to you provided there is a vet-client relationship. Sometimes medication through on-lines is substantially cheaper than through the vet, and the consumer should not be bound to buy their meds in the office rather than looking around for the best price. At the end of the day we're all consumers looking to be as frugal as possible, and in my own eyes it would just be wrong for my vet to deny me a prescription because s/he wanted to keep it in the office. There are some meds that are strictly for veterinary use and I'm good with that unless the local pharmacy can get it or the medication is needed immediately for an acute situation...I'm just not so good with paying an extra mark up for maintenance meds that have to be ordered ahead of time anyway. The one possible exception might be HW meds that are only guaranteed if dispensed through a licensed vet in-house. With 7 dogs I really have to be careful since a little bit can pile up in a hurry!

It was just a thought!

Old 07-21-2008, 08:33 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,997 times
I use two vets, one for my own dogs and another for my rescue fosters. Each will willingly give me a scrip for medication to purchase locally or call in a scrip to an online pharmacy. Both of them do seem to care which online pharmacy I use, though. They weren't familiar with one that I mentioned and checked it out before faxing the scrip to them.

One example of the savings I've experienced: On of my dogs is on daily phenobarbital, and the vet's price is $9.80 for a 60 day supply. The local pharmacy is $20.60 for 60 days, and a local grocery store pharmacy is $9 for a 90 day supply.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:08 PM

155 posts, read 941,894 times
Sorry I think I miss understood. With the Pheno my golden was on the vet had the best price. When we switched to Potassim, Bromide they would call the local Pharmacy.
H.W. Meds I'd look into http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/default.asp?CID=0&mscssid=EWG774HA5PV69LRW4TV9MT98 Q4A32DK7 (broken link), They have the flea and tick meds, I'm not sure about heart worm.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:31 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,776,674 times
My boy has a hole in his heart so he is on a few meds....seven! My vet is very good about working with me to get the meds needed at the best price. Some of the drugs are people meds so I have been filling them at Walgreens. The pharmacist told me that they have a prescription plan that also covered animals. It cost me $20 to sign him up for a year. One of his meds was $38 a month but on the plan it was $9.99 for 3 months. Nice savings!! I worked with the vets office to figure out cost of all of his meds to see if it was cheaper there or Walgreens. At the end my vet gave us 30% off for the meds I still get from him. I just told him that I was having a very hard time making the monthly bills. He loves my furbaby and wants to help keep him around for as long as we can. I should say as long as he is having a quality doggie life.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:12 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
As I understand it, the only vaccination that MUST be administered by a veterinarian is the Rabies Vaccine.... for legal reasons so that it is on record and can be verified in case of a bite.

Other perscription medications, you can request that they write a percription - if you choose to.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-27-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
That is correct...one can not purchase the Rabie vac. to inject yourself. A vet must give the Rabies shot.
As far as prescriptions go...I purchase from 1-800petmeds. They contact my vet for the prescription and then fill it for me. It is a hell of alot cheaper! And my vet has never said a word to me about it. I figure with 7 animals....I'm most likely putting at least one of his kids thru college! He can't complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets