U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM

170 posts, read 562,643 times

Advertisements

I just found out that my sister's poodle pup has been VERY sick for about 4 days, pooping blood and vomiting up what she describes as "all stomache acid". She doesn't have money to take her to the vet so she has been trying to entice the dog to eat by giving her canned food and pedialyte. The dog won't eat and she "syringes" the pedialyte. She says the dog is skin and bones. Then when I was messaging her she had to let the dog out and she hasn't been back on and someone came on and said the dog is almost dead. Good Lord, take that dog to the vet or have it put down. If our dog was sick like that I sure wouldn't just watch it get sick like that. I would not pay a bill so I could take them to the vet. UGH. I am so mad and sad about this. The stupidity.............and that POOR dog. Why do people like this have pets at ALL? This is the same sister I got our pup from because her DD wouldn't take care of it. SIGH! Sorry, just had to get that out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 12:13 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,304,933 times
Turn her in!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:18 PM

I encouraged her earlier to call animal control to see if they can help her or direct her in the right place. Not sure if she did. UGH! Can she really get into hot water for this? I have no experience being in trouble for mistreatment of animals so I don't know.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,691,363 times
Trouble can be avoided...tell her to go NOW to the vet. This sounds very much like Parvo, which WILL KILL her pup in a matter of hours if it has indeed been sick as long as she thinks - and if it is parvo, tell her not to get another animal for a WHILE...the stuff lives in the dirt and will take out the next animal, too. This is more neglect ... but she doesn't need to worry about that now, she just needs to GO.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Well, I haven't heard from her in a bit so I hope she DID take the puppy to a vet. She does currently have another dog. She said the other dog isn't sick but the incubation period for parvo is 8-10 days and her pup has only been sick for about 4 days so the other dog probably doesn't have it but could still get it. UGH!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 22,406,599 times
If you have the money, can you help her?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM

We would be willing to help her out, yes.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:49 PM

She died! This was just senseless. I don't know if they put her down or what the deal was as she doesn't want to talk about it now. I hope they went and had her put down.

Cocoa, I hope you have alot of fun in doggie heaven with all your new friends!

Last edited by Softtail_Honey; 09-21-2008 at 03:08 PM..

Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,691,363 times
You are correct - it was senseless...but there's a lesson here: whenever your pet is vomiting excessively, acting out of character, has lots of diarrhea, is bleeding profusely - it isn't time to be Dr. House, it's time to go to the vet. Immediately in most cases - our pets can't tell us a lot about what is going on. Truth be told, we should monitor our pets every day for changes...since they hide things so well, some things can go out of control fast.

Please, please caution your sister to watch the other dog carefully - and let us know what was wrong and all the symptoms, maybe someone else can learn.

I hope the vet gave her a stern talking-to about neglecting to care for her pup's health. It's very, very sad.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You are correct - it was senseless...but there's a lesson here: whenever your pet is vomiting excessively, acting out of character, has lots of diarrhea, is bleeding profusely - it isn't time to be Dr. House, it's time to go to the vet. Immediately in most cases - our pets can't tell us a lot about what is going on. Truth be told, we should monitor our pets every day for changes...since they hide things so well, some things can go out of control fast.

Please, please caution your sister to watch the other dog carefully - and let us know what was wrong and all the symptoms, maybe someone else can learn.

I hope the vet gave her a stern talking-to about neglecting to care for her pup's health. It's very, very sad.
Well, I agree with you totally. And I think they did know that something just wasn't right. But it was the money. That is what it boiled down to. I just can't understand that. Your pet is like a family member. You wouldn't leave them sick like that. I guess not everyone feels the same about animals.

Another unfortuneate thing her is that the dog died at home and now it is probably buried in their back yard or dumped in the woods. They have done things like this before so...........I just don't want to know what they did with Cocoa. So, they will never know what made her ill and they could very well be doing this with their other dog in the next week or so. They are and have always been, irresponsible when it come to their pets!

*I* understand about taking care of your pets but some don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets