Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 AM

10 posts, read 19,499 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I’ve just discovered your forum and would like to chime in now and then as I can. My name is Christine. I live in NJ and work for ReRun, an ex-racehorse adoption program with chapters in NJ, NY, and KY. We take in horses from the racetracks who are no longer wanted as racers, and bring them to our foster farms for rehabilitation and re-training. We then work very hard to find loving, permanent adoptive homes for them.

It looks like the bulk of this forum deals with cats and dogs (both of which I have and adore!), but I'd like to take the liberty of representing the horse (Thoroughbred ex-racehorse, anyway), which most people consider to be their animal companions.

I look forward to joining your community and getting to know the regulars around here.

Thank you,
Christine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 05:55 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,524,248 times
Welcome Christine. Many horse lovers in here. I remember when a friend got one of a track wow what a experience. RUN RUN RUN but what a great horse.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:50 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Welcome Christine. Where in NJ is ReRun?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome. ReRun is a little bit everywhere! Our foster horse farms are in Jobstown and Cookstown (south of Great Adventure) and the bulk of our board member and volunteers are from Washington Crossing up to Ocean Grove on the coast. I live in East Windsor. So, like I said, we're just about everywhere in central NJ!

-Christine

Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,797 times
Hi Christine! I am aware of Re-Run as well as other horse rescues - FOB, Animali Farm (PMU), Shiloh (Vegas), etc. I would imagine you have heard of the Lancaster auctions. The stories at the auctions make me so sad. I am against horse slaughter and I am hopeful they will stop transporting our horses over US borders for slaughter. I know that's a hot topic and I don't want to start a discussion about it and take away from your organization. I just wanted you to know I know how important your work is and what the alternative is for these horses.

You guys do a wonderful service. There are so many deserving horses out there that need homes. I would love to hear any success stories or about new rescues. Thank you for doing what you do!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Kudos to you for what you do!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Hi Stan4 and Calidreemer,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you support the work we do!

Calidreemer, I'm not familiar with Lancaster, but I am familiar with other ones closer to me (one is a few miles away from me, unfortunately). I know enough of the details so that I have an informed understanding of how and why horses end up at auctions/kill pens, but there is no way you'll get me to step foot in one! I don't have the strength needed to do the real, real trenchwork of "horse rescue". It is not good now for horses and it's only going to get worse before it gets any better. But we are preparing ourselves for this eventuality and working to expand our operations and find more space so we can help rehab and re-home more ex-racers.

I am more determined than ever to keep ReRun moving forward during this time of economic recession. When a new horse comes to one of our farms here from the track, I look in his eyes and promise him that I won't give him up and that there is a large group of people who will do everything they can to ensure his well-being for the rest of his life.

Don't worry, we have plenty of success stories! If you go to our website at www.rerun.org you can download our fall newsletter. You'll see some happy endings. Below is one of the stories you'll find. When we got the call from one of "Baryshnikov's" previous owners, we all cried.
-Christine

-------------------
Going Home!

It seems like it was just yesterday that we received the call from Margaret. “Hello ReRun, my name is Margaret and I just bought a retired racehorse who needs a home.” Margaret, who had been taking riding lessons for about a month, spent every lesson day looking at one horse, in particular, tied in a standing stall surrounded by the thick stench of urine with manure up to his ankles. He had no bedding or room enough to lie down and rest, which he sorely needed from doing lesson after lesson with arthritic ankles. As if this weren’t enough, the stable owners told Margaret the horse would soon be going to the meat dealer. That was it. Margaret bought him and then called us.

Unbeknownst to Margaret, this horse was, in fact, Baryshnikov’s Song, a Florida bred racehorse who had won 11 races and earned over $130,000 in purse money. By a cruel twist of fate, Baryshnikov had been claimed or sold through several hands and ended up in a lesson program in New York City. This once proud racehorse’s daysof glory quickly turned into never ending days of hopelessness.

Thanks to Margaret, Baryshnikov’s torment was finally brought to an end. When he arrived at ReRun’s New York Chapter farm two years ago, Sue, the New York Chapter Director, realized her work was cut out for her. With ringbone and other health issues, it would be an understatement to say that Baryshnikov was not going to be easy to place. And until recently, we were sure this 11-year-old gelding would be with us until the very end.

Then a miracle happened. Through our efforts to let breeders and owners know their racehorse has landed safely in our program, one incredible owner, John Stephens of Stephens Thoroughbreds in Ocala Florida, called us. John was one of Baryshnikov’s earliest owners and had lost track of the horse after he had been claimed from him in a race. He was amazed to discover that Baryshnikov was in our program and quite upset to learn how it was that Baryshnikov came to us. John was very grateful we contacted him because he wanted nothing more than to bring his horse back home to care for him for the rest of his days. Though we are all sad to say goodbye to him, Baryshnikov will be going home to a beautiful farm where he can soak up the year-round warmth his aching bones so desperately need. He will spend his remaining years in the lap of luxury and love, just where he deserves to be.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

702 posts, read 2,522,797 times
What a great story. I think I have seen you guys on YouTube? I love horses and hope to have one someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets