Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
OMG. That's just an incredibly heartbreaking story.
Did you read the story from page 1? Somehow, the earlier link I posted only started on page 4. It was a bit confusing.

Anyhow, here's the story again starting from the beginning!

Worst Chimpanzee Attack Story Ever - Moe the Chimp Owner Attacked - Esquire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM

3 posts, read 13,265 times
Xanax can do that to a monkey? all it did to me was get me high.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:56 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
I read last night that the hospital released details of the woman's injuries. She's lost both her hands, her nose, her lips, her eyelids, her facial bones are crushed and they think she might be irreversibly brain damaged.

There really are no words.....

Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
It is just Horrible.
You're right Fivehorses what words...

it was a Wild animal...
living a totally Non wild "lifestyle"

grrrrr

why was it "allowed"... in the first place...

oh, I don't want to get started.

I feel for the Lady and her family, the injured lady that is. just such a tragedy.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM

331 posts, read 1,384,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
It is just Horrible.
You're right Fivehorses what words...

it was a Wild animal...
living a totally Non wild "lifestyle"

grrrrr

why was it "allowed"... in the first place...

oh, I don't want to get started.

I feel for the Lady and her family, the injured lady that is. just such a tragedy.
I totally agree, and i agree with previous posters that the chimp is no replacement for her husband, and daughter, she should have gotten a cat, or dog.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwriter View Post
I totally agree, and i agree with previous posters that the chimp is no replacement for her husband, and daughter, she should have gotten a cat, or dog.
We often read about cases where people's pet dogs injure, maul, or even kill a person. Recently there was an instance where a Chow/Golden Retriever mix killed a family's newborn infant in Mesa, AZ.
Family dog that killed Mesa baby euthanized

What is the difference between a dog that goes on a rampage and this pet chimp who got loose and killed a family friend?

Domestic animals as well as "wild" animals have the potential to be dangerous.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
Yes, Wolfx3

ALL animals have the potential to go "wild", even domesticated ones too...

But "we" have in our care, at home, in our personal space more of domesticated animals than we do Wild ones.

Wild (non-domesticated) ones have that Urge at a greater level. And if we were to have as many non-domesticated animals as pets as we do domesticated ones than, the proportions being equal we would most likely see more "wild" animals "acting out"in this way that this Chimp did...

he had No Wild life of that what he should have.
living in a house and not to go out ... except when he "escaped" the walls that "caged" him...

SO SAD it makes me MAD!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:03 PM

A recent article on the chimp attack:

Travis The Chimp's 'Mom' Tells Their Story -- Courant.com

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsiderider520 View Post
Xanax can do that to a monkey? all it did to me was get me high.
It can do that with people also. A lot of those meds can cause deeper depression or aggressive behavior.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default 200 lb chimp attacks woman after being given Xanax

This is pretty old news. I believe the latest I had heard about this was that this Chimp did not have any Xanax. The owner of this chimp had a very peculiar relationship with him...the whole thing was totally odd. The woman who was attacked is in beyond serious shape. She lost half her face, will be blind and possibly brain damaged. Chimps are NOT domestic pets and should never be considered as such. Wild animals belong in a controlled environment and it is cruel to the animal and insensitive to other people around the owner to have such a pet. I don't think any sort of exoctic pet belongs in captivity, not snakes, monkeys, other reptiles, wild cats, wolves, lions, tigers; none of them should live with humans.. We simply do not know how to care for them and cannot expect them to go back to their wild ways at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets