Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 22,783 times

Advertisements

I have a sinus infection (I think) and I am trying to cure myself with steam and salt water irrigation but I am worried that my son's dog will catch my cold. I admit I hug him and he jumps up and will get my face faster than I can pull away. I want to believe that I don't have to isolate myself from my pets (my son's dog and my cat) when I am sick. They are a real comfort to me when I feel really yucky.
Some advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 10:35 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,018 times
I think it is pretty rare for infections to go between species....I'd worry more about your son catching it than your dog!!
(the saliva kills many things!)

Old 04-01-2007, 06:13 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
Agreed, I don't think there's much of anything a dog can catch from a human especially something like a cold or sinus infection...on another note, have you ever tried using a neti pot when you are congested? I was freaked by the idea originally, but I tried it and I think it really helped. For about the first day after I was really congested, but then it totally cleared out!

You can get a neti pot at a pharmacy, and it comes with the salt mixture to put in. So it's a plastic pot (looks sort of like a gravy boat) make the mix, and follow the instructions on positioning, you pour it in one nostrile and it comes out the other for a good sinus flush! I think it sounds totally scarey, but if you do it right, it doesn't go down the back of your throat, so just remember to not breath through your nose

Ok....I know that's totally off the pet subject, but I thought I'd offer up something that may help.

Anywho, I wouldn't worry about your dog getting sick from you.

Feel better

Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Nope ... you can't give a dog or a cat a cold.

Hope you're feeling better

Old 04-02-2007, 10:38 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,530 times
My vet has told me you can't transfer sickness between pets and people.
Hope you feel better

Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymom View Post
My vet has told me you can't transfer sickness between pets and people.
Hope you feel better
With working at the kennel, I have seen colds passed between humans and dogs. I've also seen "pink eye" go horse-human, dog-human, human-dog and my vet says the same thing.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 AM

73 posts, read 403,180 times
There is some research that says some rhinoviruses can be passed from cats to people and the other way around, but it's disputed. I've never heard of a cold being passed to or from a dog from a person.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 AM

389 posts, read 3,538,900 times
Pink eye I do believe is passed between animal and human, and some skin things like ringworm, but I don't think too much else....but I guess we're all getting carried away, the sinus infection/cold question originally posted...the original poster is probably completely better by now and here we all are pondering

Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
With working at the kennel, I have seen colds passed between humans and dogs. I've also seen "pink eye" go horse-human, dog-human, human-dog and my vet says the same thing.
I apparently gave our dog strep throat when I was a kid and the dog kept reinfecting me until she was treated. My mom read in Ann Landers about that and went to the vet and insisted he culture the dog for strep and lo, and behold it was positive

Old 08-20-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 17,509 times
Is a recently vaccinated dog infectious? My dog has just been vaccinated with anti rabies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets