Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,748,740 times

Advertisements

I just took my dogs for a walk and there was a tiny little turtle, maybe 1" in size on my walkway. I want to help the little thing but don't know what to do. Can someone give me advice? There is a creek behind my property, should I bring the turtle closer to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,602,224 times
If it's in harms way just move him out of the way of dogs or other hazards. Don't move him too far. He will do best if not relocated, so if there are no immediate hazards just leave him where he was found. Many people will move a turtle out of a road without consideration for the direction he was heading. If put on the side they had just left, they will attempt in many cases to recross the road.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,748,740 times
I live on over an acre and he was not in harms way but very far from water. I guess I answered my own question because I just brought him near the water but thanks! What a cutie, here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Turtle outside my door-img_1346.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,602,224 times
What a cutie!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,409,334 times
Cutie!

Last year I was driving down a main road when I saw this thing that looked like a miniature dragon with a spiny top in the middle of the road!!!! Amazing that I even spotted it.

I turned around and came back and found it again, this time all the way to the curb on the other side of the road, but too small to get up the curb. It was a small black baby snapping turtle! I thought, what the heck??? Anyhow, I picked him up and put him in the pond in the back of where I live. I hope he is still there swimming around with the beavers.

Normally you are not supposed to move turtles too far, but sometimes I do anyway. A few years ago I found a much larger (quite large, actually) snapping turtle trying to cross Route 2 near Concord Mass. For those unfamiliar, Route 2 is a highway, and this turtle was on her way to becoming a pancake. I pulled over and grabbed her and threw her in the trunk of my rental car. I say "her" because I'm sure it was a female searching for a place to lay her eggs. Turtles will travel a long distance to lay eggs. She was extremely smelly, as snapping turtles are (keeps them safe from predators) and she kept trying to bite me! I found a pond somewhere down the road and released her into the water. Again, I hope she's okay!

W.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,318,068 times
That's a little red-eared slider....remember they use to sell them in pet stores when we were kids....then they stopped because of salmonella. He came from the creek...so putting him back down there would be ok.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
That's a little red-eared slider....remember they use to sell them in pet stores when we were kids....then they stopped because of salmonella. He came from the creek...so putting him back down there would be ok.
Totally agreed. He's just a hatchling and a favorite snack item of birds of prey, raccoons, etc. If you can find a little bush of some kind at the water's edge that would be perfect for him.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,424,921 times
That is a water turtle, so put him next to the creek and he should do ok.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:29 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Good job, Rapture!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Cutie!

Last year I was driving down a main road when I saw this thing that looked like a miniature dragon with a spiny top in the middle of the road!!!! Amazing that I even spotted it.

I turned around and came back and found it again, this time all the way to the curb on the other side of the road, but too small to get up the curb. It was a small black baby snapping turtle! I thought, what the heck???
I once found a black snapping turtle in the gutter, apparently the babies end up there quite often. I just left him alone because it was a quiet street and he was not far from water. I did pick him up to inspect him, and that little head whipped around, trying to snap at me.
Our first summer here, they were bulldozing down the street and a couple of gopher tortoises were disturbed. I moved one in the direction she (it was late May, I do think it was a she) she was going, to some uninhabited woods.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,856,943 times
Default Turtle outside my door

Yes bring the turtle to the creek near your property but be careful...if he is a "snapper" baby or not, he could latch on to a finger. Don't know what kind of turtles you have in SC, just be careful. I'll bet he was cute, huh?

I am a true creature lover...except for SNAKES...yuk,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets