U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 AM

29,388 posts, read 53,505,533 times

Advertisements

They're just as friendly and just as furry, but black dogs sitting in animal shelters are often overlooked by prospective pet owners, according to animal rescue professionals who have dubbed the problem the "black dog syndrome."

Pet Owners Overlook Black Dogs and Cats in Animal Shelters - ABC News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 PM

19,111 posts, read 29,614,260 times
I've heard a lot about that, especially from our local shelter. When me and my bf adopted our dogs, we purposely adopted the two rangiest, mangiest black dogs we could because those were the ones who wouldn't get adopted otherwise.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,289,962 times
i have been hearing about this for a number of years.... there was even an article in people magazine about it several years ago.......

after i made the decision that the red heeler boy i was looking at was not going to be a good fit with bailey, i purposely focused on the black dogs there..... dave's sister is solid black, but i needed a boy for our household.... dave is MOSTLY black......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 10-10-2009 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: STILL can't spell......

Old 10-17-2009, 08:58 PM

63 posts, read 178,959 times
[quote=John1960;11114089]They're just as friendly and just as furry, but black dogs sitting in animal shelters are often overlooked by prospective pet owners, according to animal rescue professionals who have dubbed the problem the "black dog syndrome."

Pet Owners Overlook Black Dogs and Cats in Animal Shelters - ABC News[/quote
Black cats
I have 3 adopted cats, I love them all. When I went to adopt my second one, I asked about color, and they said they had two blacks, and a yellow one, all kittens. I am partial to yellow ones, since I had one when I was little. When I got there they brought them all out, including a black one, and guess what, I fell in love with him. He is built like an oriental, a v shaped face, tall ears, and a very long tail, rather slender built. But he had personality, I could just sense it. So I adopted Thomas, and my husband and we both love him dearly.
Arundel

Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM

3,864 posts, read 6,030,951 times
One of the sweetest cats I ever had was all black. Spookie was with us for over ten years, and I miss him still.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,935,653 times
I have had 3 Black Cats, one of which is 17 years old now...and doing quite well ***knock on wood.

Have had a Black Mutt, Black Lab and Black and Tan Dobies.

In fact now you sparked my memory....back when I worked at an Animal Hospital, during holiday boarding season sometimes Black Labs dominated lol.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:49 AM

519 posts, read 1,336,328 times
Arundel I have a black cat Thomas also... Also have a grey cat Alley cat.
Love them for their personality not the color, gezz...
Thats just crazy.
2 Collies, 2 cats and love them all>>>>>
Had a black dog also.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
Arundel I have a black cat Thomas also... Also have a grey cat Alley cat.
Love them for their personality not the color, gezz...
Thats just crazy.
2 Collies, 2 cats and love them all>>>>>
Had a black dog also.
Exactly, I wanted to add to my post but couldn't edit....

Have also have had a Yellow Lab, Black and White Springer Spaniel,Orange Tabby, Silver Tabby, and Seal Point Siamese, all were wonderful also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets