Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,191 times

Advertisements

I am trying to pursue my dream of moving to Utah. I am single and have 3 cats, 3 dogs and 2 rabbits. I want to pursue work in Kane County, Utah in order to eventually work at Best Friends' Animal Sanctuary. I think it's more realistic to find a job in an area where I have experience as opposed to attempting the long shot of getting hired at Best Friends. There is a 2-week interview/orientation process that I am not able to do because of my menagerie here in North Carolina. I REALLY need help organizing this dream, as far as logistics, planning, etc. I am not in a position to purchase a house, so I must find a rental. I know this seems like an impossible task, but I am driven and WILL do it . I'm just trying to figure out how to plan, when I could do it, etc.... I'm hoping to do it within two years.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
What sort of vehicle do you have? I moved from Miss. to UT in an Accord, with 3 cats in 2 carriers and 2 dogs, 1 lg and 1 sm. I stayed at Motel8s as they have a liberal pet policy. Ate at fast food places with a drive-up window. Stopped at gas stations to walk the dogs. The cats only used the litterbox at night, even though I had placed them in it during the day - just too different. We all arrived safely and settled in. One cat did yowl for 3 hrs straight the first day, then he settled down and was quiet the rest of the 3.5 day trip. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times
Have you ever been in the area of Best Friends in Utah? Holy frijoles when I say that area is deserted...it's no joke. Zion National Park is in the area, if that gives you any indication of the remoteness. Husband and I were driving in that area, and stopped in a town near Best Friends..or rather the only town near BF...and it was weird. There was a town but it appeared to be a ghost town...random cars parked here and there but it seemed like no one was there! I swear we thought we were on a movie set. No one walking in and out of stores, no one driving on the street, and it happened to be sunny/windy/warm that day and I kid you not, a tumbleweed blew across the street as we pulled into a Pizza Hut parking lot. Walked in and the hostess, waitress and chef was one woman.

Kinda made us laugh and left us some really funny memories. That was a few years ago but my point is ....work in that area might be tough. I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:09 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
We made a 16 hour move with 3 rottweilers, 2 rat terriers, 5 cats and 5 teens. It can be done. It just takes planning.

First you need to look for a job. Don't ever move without a job to go to unless you have at least three months of expenses banked. Apply, do phone interviews, etc. In the meantime call the local vet offices and animal shelters and rescues. Ask if they know of housing that allows multiple pets. If anyone is going to have that info, it'll be them. You can post an ad looking for housing in their local paper.

The job has to come first. Then the housing. Some hotels do weekly rentals. Not sure if they'll have any that are pet friendly that will accept that many pets, but you can ask. As a last resort a cramped hotel room for a week or two will do until you find a home or apartment.

As for the move itself, only you can decide how many hours a day you can safely travel. I can easily do 14 to 16. That's what I'd planned when we moved, just doing a straight through drive. Unfortunately what I didn't take into consideration was our oldest son was helping with the drive and we found out the hard way he dozes off while he drives. So it was stopping every couple hours, not doing more than 8 hours a day before he needed sleep. It was a nightmare.

Bring kennels for the cats and rabbits. In the vehicle - as long as everyone gets along ok - you can allow the cats to be free if they're well behaved. Just put their litter box in a back seat. I'm hoping you have a larger vehicle - mini van or SUV? If not you'll need to look at buying one. The other option is a one way rental and trailering your car which will slow you down quite a bit.

When you get to the hotel, bring in the cats and rabbits in the kennel first and then the dogs on a leash. Don't let the cats out of the kennel until the dogs are in and the doors are locked. That way you don't need to worry about anyone escaping. Keep your do not disturb sign on the door so you don't have to worry about housekeeping opening a door and anyone getting out.

Lastly, before leaving have everyone micro-chipped. Have ID tags made up with your phone number and the phone number of your new vet for each dog and cat. Keep a tag on their collar and one on each kennel or leash. Attach a form for each of your pets to the front passenger seat of your car. It should include the pet's species, breed, name, markings, any health problems or medications it's on, a photo and make sure you note in bold print 'while these pets are very friendly, any animal in a strange or scary situation may be bite - please use caution'. That way if you're in a car accident - God forbid - and someone is trying to get you or your pets out of the vehicle they can be aware of how many you are traveling with and any info on them. Some people aren't real familiar with animals and may not be aware that when scared they will growl or bite.

Keep us updated, and good luck with your dream! I wish you the best!!

Old 03-06-2010, 11:04 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionForAnimals View Post
There is a 2-week interview/orientation process.

Flippin' heck. I can understand a two week orientation for new hires... but a two week interview to get hired?! Good grief.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
I would check out house/apartment situation involving cost and what animals they allow before I move. You do not want to be in a situation where you are far from home, in an unfamiliar place, have a carload of animals and no place to go. You also do not want to be in a position where you cannot find homes for them or have to settle for homes you are unsure of. If your pets are this iportant to you I would not leave until I know itwi work to bring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets