Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right spot for this post.

I'm curious to know if anyone on the forum particpated in or is currently providing hospice care for their animal companion(s)?

I found this site today, and found a lot of good and comforting information:
SPIRITS in Transition - Animal Hospice Care

I'm too drained to type out my entire story at the moment (will share more later) but I am currently caring for both a geriatric (~16yrs) Australian Cattle Dog and a 12 year old cat with terminal cancer.

Needless to say, I am a bit overwhelmed. C-D is a good escape mechanism for me.

I wanted to start a thread to see what other people's experiences were like, and hopefully, to offer and receive comfort, advice, and support.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,364 times
You have my heartfelt sympathy for your situation. I have dealt with older and ill pets before as well, and one beloved dog had kidney disease and died in my arms just as I was taking her to the vet to end her suffering. It is so difficult to see them in pain. Hospice would be a great idea, except that with pets we can choose to euthenize them when their struggle is too difficult. Hospice provides alternative care for people which is pain control, comfort, and other services. My husband is a hospice chaplain, and I have had both my mother and father on hospice. Wonderful service.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 AM

698 posts, read 3,265,942 times
Yes.....I just experienced it recently with our 18 year old furbaby with terminal cancer. We so wanted her to die naturally,but in the end we had to have her euthanized because we couldn't let her struggle and suffer any longer. I want go into all the details of when it all started and what all we went through because that's not going to help you any,but I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with concerning an animal. My only advice to you would be PLEASE don't let it go on for so long that you are totally desperate and exhausted and your furbaby has suffered needlessly and is at the point where they don't even know you're there for them. I can say I do know how you feel. It's so painful to have to make the choice. It was so hard for me,but we have to help them depart with the dignity,kindness and love they so highly deserve. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I guess I did my own hospice w/my beloved Katrina. The last 15 mo. of her life, she was on sub-Q fluids twice a week at home. She had suffered CRF afte the pet food contamination.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Thanks to those of you who have replied. I believe the concept of veterinary hospice is still somewhat new-at least in our culture. Basically the idea is the same as human hospice: to provide comfort and pain control, and to plan for death without trying to artificially extend life. It often includes a plan for in-home euthanasia should the need arise (i.e. have the name and number of a vet who makes house calls handy at all times to avoid that mad-dash to the office with the pet dying en route).

Thyla (the old cattle doggie) suffers from a long list of age-related ailments, She had recently lost her sight and, like many pet owners, I started asking myself the quality-of-life question and begining to make plans to euthanize her....when we got the news about Colbalt (the cat). Suddenly the thought of losing them both just became overwhelming. I started to research animal hospice.

We have had good days and bad days. While I know neither one of them will ever "get better" some days seem almost normal. I have spent countless hours sitting in the sun in the backyard with them This is a special treat for Cobalt as he has never been an outside kitty.

I've gotten to be quite the pro at giving pills to both dogs (easy) and cats (hard). I know how to walk a dog using a towel to help steady her hind legs (tip: use a beach towel, they are longer). I've learned that one can never have too many old towels or old blankets and comforters.

I've learned that my old dog likes her baby-food and pumpkin mix warm, but her yogurt cold. The cat, on the other hand, only wants his pate-style wet food at room-temperature. He also prefers to eat a different brand every day.

I've flipped back and forth between who will go first. Mainly based one who is eating what and how much (right now Thyla is only taking spoonfuls of food, so it may be her turn first).

Mostly, I've started to think of dying as a process, rather than a single instantaneous event. It reminds me somewhat of giving birth.

Thanks again to everyone who offered words of support and sympathy.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:09 PM

698 posts, read 3,265,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Thanks to those of you who have replied. I believe the concept of veterinary hospice is still somewhat new-at least in our culture. Basically the idea is the same as human hospice: to provide comfort and pain control, and to plan for death without trying to artificially extend life. It often includes a plan for in-home euthanasia should the need arise (i.e. have the name and number of a vet who makes house calls handy at all times to avoid that mad-dash to the office with the pet dying en route).

Thyla (the old cattle doggie) suffers from a long list of age-related ailments, She had recently lost her sight and, like many pet owners, I started asking myself the quality-of-life question and begining to make plans to euthanize her....when we got the news about Colbalt (the cat). Suddenly the thought of losing them both just became overwhelming. I started to research animal hospice.

We have had good days and bad days. While I know neither one of them will ever "get better" some days seem almost normal. I have spent countless hours sitting in the sun in the backyard with them This is a special treat for Cobalt as he has never been an outside kitty.

I've gotten to be quite the pro at giving pills to both dogs (easy) and cats (hard). I know how to walk a dog using a towel to help steady her hind legs (tip: use a beach towel, they are longer). I've learned that one can never have too many old towels or old blankets and comforters.

I've learned that my old dog likes her baby-food and pumpkin mix warm, but her yogurt cold. The cat, on the other hand, only wants his pate-style wet food at room-temperature. He also prefers to eat a different brand every day.

I've flipped back and forth between who will go first. Mainly based one who is eating what and how much (right now Thyla is only taking spoonfuls of food, so it may be her turn first).

Mostly, I've started to think of dying as a process, rather than a single instantaneous event. It reminds me somewhat of giving birth.

Thanks again to everyone who offered words of support and sympathy.
That's exactly what we did for ours. We kept her as comfortable and happy as possible and had a vet lined up months in advance to come to our home if the need arose which it did in the end. When her vet had did all she could do and sent her home to die,she was in my "hospice care".

Old 11-19-2009, 05:06 PM

549 posts, read 2,204,778 times
I can understand the desire to care for your elderly and or ill friend, but in all honesty...I just could not allow my friend to endure an existence like that. As someone stated earlier, we as their caregivers can give them a more humane and peaceful way to leave this life and move onto the next. I can also appreciate how difficult it is to face not only the truth that their lives are nearing a close, but one most really step back from making it about the human aspect, and what's really in their best interest.

My heart goes out to you, but please, give them the most selfless act of love...and help them move on. My prayers are with you, for it's clear that you love them.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:45 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,143,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post

My heart goes out to you, but please, give them the most selfless act of love...and help them move on.
Why, but WHY, does this - or something like this - have to happen every single flippin time?

jbm - did the OP ask about this? No, the OP started a very useful thread on which people can share their experiences and their thoughts about the concept of hospice care for animals. Now I've read and re-read the post just to make sure my reading comprehension skills weren't lacking. They are not. At no point in time has the OP solicited anyone's opinion as to whether or not now is the time for her animals. What on earth gives you the right to make this call for the OP? Know the animals well, do you? Know the ins and outs of the situation? You know that the animals have given up and don't wish to carry on? Oh good. I'm delighted to hear it's not just someone running off with an opinion that not only is undoubtedly not welcome, but quite frankly, it's well out of line.

OP - I apologise, but this winds me up something chronic. And now back to our regularly scheduled program......

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,143,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Needless to say, I am a bit overwhelmed.
Understandably. It's hard - it doesn't matter how many times one has had to do it, it's just one of the hardest things to do. We question what we are doing, why we are doing it, should we be doing it at all. And just when you think you've come up with an answer for one... something will happen to make you realise it wasn't an answer at all. Possibly there is no answer.

A lesson I learned long ago from a dying kitten was to respect the animal's will to live. Some fight long and hard. Others do not. I guess I always liken it to being that boxer's trainer in the corner: You want to fight this out? Fine, I'll help. Here, let me fit you with the "equipment" to ensure this hurts as little as possible. If you're down on the mat but want a hand up, I'll lend that hand. But if you should fall and indicate to me that no, no more, you're tired and at peace now, then I will listen to that and respect that wish.

They have the will-power and we have the technology to allow them to exert their will pain-free. It's a pretty good match.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,146 times
My mother is going through this with her cat at the moment. Fluffy is about 18-19 years old now, and within the past year it seems she suffered a stroke. The right side of her face droops, and she has the tendency to drool at times. She's lost most her muscle tone & body fat and she has several bald patches. The poor thing seems to not be in pain, though. And she still eats about half a can of tunafish every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets