Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,483 times

Advertisements

I have posted in the Chicago area forums about adopting in my vicinity. Now that I have that covered, I am wondering about this:

I have taken several breed selector quizzes, visited a lot of friends with different kinds of cats and dogs, as well as watched a great number of YouTube videos with several different breeds of cats and dogs.

Still, I wonder, would a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Clumber Spaniel, a Yorkshire Terrier, and/or a Maine Coon get along? I can have up to four pets in my place. I am a heavy woman who likes to take long walks and I wouldn't mind taking my dogs with me in the car to a dog park and on my travels. I would take the cat too of course, but you get the picture. I am financially stable, and I am not moving soon. So, am I crazy for considering? No, I am not really looking at adopting kitties or puppies, but I will consider that if it's better for them to be raised together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
My suggestion, since all the dogs you're looking at, is to find a rescue that has mostly small dogs. Ask them if they adopt multiple pets into a home. I know I'd love it if I could place some of my dogs that are already an established pack into a home together. I think it would cut down on the trauma and the stress of going to a new home if they already have part of their pack with them.

You may not be able to get the exact breeds you're looking for, or a picture perfect specimen of the breed you'd like, but you'd still be saving several lives and they'd love you just as much.

Also, because you're in Chicago and rescues up there seem to have adoptions going out much faster, the rescues tend to be a bit more strict. They may not allow you to adopt more than a single dog. They may be very over bearing or difficult to work with. And I'm not saying they all are, please don't get me wrong. But the fact is, some are. When they've got plenty adoptions going out they tend to be more picky. If it's a problem, start looking at rescues in the south. Quite a few will adopt out to people up north very happily, especially if you're looking at a few dogs at a time. We live for adopters like you down here!!! There may be a transport fee if we can't find a transport headed your way already, but it's pretty minimal considering adoption fees here are a fraction of what they are up there too. The rescues I worked with once - once, and never again - charged about $450 per dog. I charge $150 each. So even with a $75 transport fee per dog, you'll spend less.

Just a thought!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
Despite overall breed characteristics and generalities, the only way to know if specific dogs will get along is to introduce them to one another and see how they react.

And while your lease may allow up to four dogs (are you sure it says four dogs, and not four cats or other small pets? dogs are much more destructive), I can't see any shelter or rescue group doing that. Two dogs, sometimes, but only if they are already bonded with each other. But four??

To be honest I think most rescues and shelters would be so hesitant about your request that they might not let you adopt at all. You don't appear to have any history of dog ownership. Or any hands on experience caring for dogs. You appear to be wanting to adopt the maximum number of dogs allowable. You are a renter, and despite the fact that you don't plan to move, you aren't entirely in control of that. Your landlord could decide to not renew your lease or only renew with new terms reducing the number of animals allowed. I think most shelters would be presume the animals you adopt are going to end up right back in the shelter.

And I don't think that is a Chicago shelter concern, I think it is an urban shelter concern. Most urban shelter adopters have smaller homes, smaller yards, have less access to green space, and must comply with more rules and laws, than suburban, exurban, and rural area residents must comply with. So the criteria upon which they screen applicants will be different.

By the way, it generally isn't better to keep puppies together from the same litter due to littermate syndrome.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Despite overall breed characteristics and generalities, the only way to know if specific dogs will get along is to introduce them to one another and see how they react.

And while your lease may allow up to four dogs (are you sure it says four dogs, and not four cats or other small pets? dogs are much more destructive), I can't see any shelter or rescue group doing that. Two dogs, sometimes, but only if they are already bonded with each other. But four??

To be honest I think most rescues and shelters would be so hesitant about your request that they might not let you adopt at all. You don't appear to have any history of dog ownership. Or any hands on experience caring for dogs. You appear to be wanting to adopt the maximum number of dogs allowable. You are a renter, and despite the fact that you don't plan to move, you aren't entirely in control of that. Your landlord could decide to not renew your lease or only renew with new terms reducing the number of animals allowed. I think most shelters would be presume the animals you adopt are going to end up right back in the shelter.

And I don't think that is a Chicago shelter concern, I think it is an urban shelter concern. Most urban shelter adopters have smaller homes, smaller yards, have less access to green space, and must comply with more rules and laws, than suburban, exurban, and rural area residents must comply with. So the criteria upon which they screen applicants will be different.

By the way, it generally isn't better to keep puppies together from the same litter due to littermate syndrome.
Renting? I own my home. I was saying up to four, because that's what I feel I can afford. No dog I ever have will end up in a shelter unless I was forced to give them up (I could never see that happening)

I have lived with dogs most of my life (didn't have one before the age of five) and I trained amd socialized my Chow so well, he was out of the picture for being a watchdog (my fur-baby was too nice )

I do not live in the city of Chicago, I live in the suburbs. On top of that, I have PLENTY of places to let a dog roam free near my home. I do have a small area adjacent to my house where I can let out the dog just for elimination and some fresh air. It would be great to relax out in the shade with my dogs, or go on my morning and evening walks with my companions!

I also have no requirements for what kind of animal I can have in my home. Obviously, I am not interested in reptiles or fowl (like chickens or w/e), but I can have cats, fish and dogs, maybe even a bird (although I'm not a big fan). I am just looking for some company while I'm home and of course those pets of mine go everywhere I do.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My suggestion, since all the dogs you're looking at, is to find a rescue that has mostly small dogs. Ask them if they adopt multiple pets into a home. I know I'd love it if I could place some of my dogs that are already an established pack into a home together. I think it would cut down on the trauma and the stress of going to a new home if they already have part of their pack with them.

You may not be able to get the exact breeds you're looking for, or a picture perfect specimen of the breed you'd like, but you'd still be saving several lives and they'd love you just as much.

Also, because you're in Chicago and rescues up there seem to have adoptions going out much faster, the rescues tend to be a bit more strict. They may not allow you to adopt more than a single dog. They may be very over bearing or difficult to work with. And I'm not saying they all are, please don't get me wrong. But the fact is, some are. When they've got plenty adoptions going out they tend to be more picky. If it's a problem, start looking at rescues in the south. Quite a few will adopt out to people up north very happily, especially if you're looking at a few dogs at a time. We live for adopters like you down here!!! There may be a transport fee if we can't find a transport headed your way already, but it's pretty minimal considering adoption fees here are a fraction of what they are up there too. The rescues I worked with once - once, and never again - charged about $450 per dog. I charge $150 each. So even with a $75 transport fee per dog, you'll spend less.

Just a thought!

yes.... there are LARGE transports heading up that way (12 -30 dogs / puppies heading into chicago and wisconsin rescues and at a time) from southeast missouri once or twice a month..... i was supposed to drive 3 legs of one these transports yesterday, but they found someone who could take all 18 dogs and puppies for the entire trip..... .....

i am not that far from you.... st. louis is about 4 -5 hours drive time, and the shelter and rescue situation is vastly different than what you have there.....

good luck finding your new furbabies..... sounds like you have thought things out well.....

bookmark petfinder.com .... you can input what size or breed and sex and age dog and/or cat you are interested in and they will find you lots and lots and lots of them......

Old 12-06-2009, 10:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
You don't appear to have any history of dog ownership. Or any hands on experience caring for dogs.
What led you to that assumption? I mean, without an application in front of you, how can you assume anything?

I can't imagine my home with only one or two dogs. I've got friends that have 5 or 6 dogs. I see no problem with anyone wanting a full house as long as they can care for them properly, go into the adoption with their eyes open, and have the ability to properly train them all and keep up with them. Like I said, rescues in the north are much more difficult to deal with I'm learning. It's no wonder so many northerners adopt in the south. From the horror stories I've heard on here, I don't blame them. There is no reason someone can't have 4 dogs. I've got 19 in my house right now. While I'd probably wonder about someone else that wanted that, four is not that outrageous a number of dogs.

Quote:
She never mentioned a litter either. Just said puppies in general. I know of quite a few rescues that specialize in puppies and strictly pull entire litters from shelters, so it's common for them to have many breeds and breed mixes of puppies from different litters.

That said, I do not recommend anyone bringing home more than one puppy at a time. Training a puppy takes a ridiculous amount of time, compared to adult dogs that are already trained and settled in. Usually instead of one teaching other another good habits, one teaches everyone else it's bad habits.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 AM

167 posts, read 597,626 times
I agree with LTTP - petfinders is a great resource. So many times I see shelters on petfinders that are trying to place 2 or 3 dogs together because they were surrendered by the same household. It would be so wonderful if those dogs could stay together. I always adopt adult dogs and have always had great results. There is no guessing, you know how big they will be, and you know their personality. Shelter dogs really do appreciate being adopted. They know where they were and how lucky they now are to be home with you! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj68 View Post
I agree with LTTP - petfinders is a great resource. So many times I see shelters on petfinders that are trying to place 2 or 3 dogs together because they were surrendered by the same household. It would be so wonderful if those dogs could stay together. I always adopt adult dogs and have always had great results. There is no guessing, you know how big they will be, and you know their personality. Shelter dogs really do appreciate being adopted. They know where they were and how lucky they now are to be home with you! Good luck and keep us posted!
100 % agreement with this. I have had wonderful adult pets adopted from rescues and shelters. I gave up on puppies over 20 yrs ago when I had to give a bored 6-mo old back to the breeder b/c I could not give him what he needed (companionship as I was working and living alone).

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:23 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
If it were me, I'd start by trying to find two dogs that a shelter wanted to adopt together. It bums me out to think about buddies being spilt up I'd search for a pair that fit what I was looking for (personallity, size/breed). I'd then give myself 6mo to a year to adjust & get to know the dogs, let them get settled, and then I'd start my search for the next family member/s. That's just how I would do it personally... I think I'd be a little overwhelmed bringing in four new dogs all at once, lol! However you decide to go about it, have fun & good luck finding the perfect pets for your home! It sounds like you will be making four critters very happy!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
My apologies if I made incorrect assumptions. I inferred you were a renter because you said 'I can have up to four pets in my place' rather than saying 'I want to have four pets'. And I also inferred that you had no experience of dog ownership because you said your decision to own dogs was based on youtube videos and visiting friends, rather than on prior experience.

And as others have confirmed, the issue for a shelter placing four dogs at the same time is finding four dogs that are known to be compatible and bonded with one another. Finding two dogs that are bonded isn't much of a problem. Finding three is more rare. Finding four is pretty unusual. An approach might be to adopt two and get them settled, then adopt a third and introduce them, then introduce a fourth later on after the first three have become settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets