U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 PM

13,648 posts, read 37,021,616 times

Advertisements

Does your vet care about animals or how much money they make?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,427,892 times
Animals for sure. Prices are very low compared to others in the area.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,510,548 times
Both...they work with me as much as they can but they are a large "chain" type hospital and can only "bend" the rules and prices so much. They know I do rescue so they are as good as they can be about it.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 AM

5,981 posts, read 17,595,983 times
Lord, I've put all five of my vet's kids through college - but he does our vet work for nearly nothing, comparatively speaking, since I'm in Rottweiler rescue. I have such a herd he gives me rescue prices on my personal dogs and still makes a killing! He's one vet who doesn't get all freaky about Rottweilers, although his specialty is actually exotics. I don't know what I'd do without him - unfortunately, he is ill and it is time to start interviewing new prospects. I surely hate that, I have very high expectations of the level of care, commitment and involvement I want - but this man has made multiple house calls for no charge at all for rescues undergoing heartworm treatment or my old personal pets who had to be PTS.

He's probably one in a million - but I don't begrudge him a dime, he earns it!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,670,913 times
There is a hugh difference in the price I pay here from what I paid in FL. The main difference is they don't do all the things they did in FL when you go in for shots. If you have your pet on heartworm medicine they don't do a bloodtest every year for heartworms nor do they check for worms everytime. The actual price of a visit is less as is the cost of the shots. I can actually take them in for less than $100.00 a visit. It has saved me a bundle with all the dogs and cats that I now have.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 AM

5,254 posts, read 17,422,154 times
Mine is a vet as she loves it. She told me not long ago when we were discussing the fact that my Cleo is getting older, she's not even sure she'd manage to get the task done She admitted she could do it, but she'll be bawling right along side me.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:28 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,064,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I know for a fact that mine cares about the pets
over the years with my pets I have grown a great repore (sp) with her
she is at the verge of having her practice closed down because of financial difficulties she is so kind hearted

Old 05-20-2007, 12:07 PM

8,200 posts, read 34,222,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Animals. I wouldn't stick with a vet if I felt he/she cared more about the money.

I have 2 vets right now - one for the dogs and cat and another for the birds - and they are both awesome people. They both have great judgement and give me all the options when we are facing a decision.

Yeah, they're rich from their practices, but I'm happy for them. I've seen them both have to do some pretty tough things (putting animals to sleep, autopsies, etc.), they should be paid well for it.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,501,942 times
Our family was/has been blessed with an Angel for over five decades. To say he's there because he loves animals is putting it mildly.

He's in his eighties now, still has the same two assistants since before I was a grade-school kid (I'm in 40s now). The door is still deadlocked, only opened by one of the three with a client's knock or exit. Neighborhood looks even rougher than we remembered over the years.
We asked him once, sometime in the early '80s, why he won't move to a safer neighborhood?
"The animals need me here."

This is the man Dad called one April evening, 1986, with a family in panic because our six year old mix suddenly couldn't walk, dragging his entire back-half around with each attempt to. So afraid to touch him, let alone pick him up, what should we do?
"Sit tight, we'll be there."

(Huh?)

That night, sometime around 11pm, he and Mrs. M. were in our living room, taking our dog in (his) arms, assuring the eight of us that he'd be OK. Spent a week and a half with Dr. M. healing a slipped disk. My father had to take cans of "Mighty Dog" from our home to his office because "Rotten Ralph" refused to eat anything else. Dog went on to live into his upper teens -- just as Corky had. Summer of '65, Dad noticed the tiny brown mutt, not more than a month old, laying beside a step in a thunderstorm. Thought he was dead at first. Dr. M's diagnosis: He'd been poisoned.

Funny, all our dogs lived well into their upper teens because of a doctor who really knows his stuff, and depends on his knowledge and skill to diagnose and treat -- with the latest technology merely serving as another of his assistants when needed.

A sister who had since moved quite far from his practice called one evening in 1998, hysterical. Her tiny toy breed had gotten really messed up by a rambunctious German Shepherd and tomorrow was Memorial Day.
Called, asked Dr. M. (at home, it being Sunday) if there was any chance he'd have hours tomorrow?
"For a sick animal, yes. Be there at nine." My sister's dog was the only one he'd treat that day.

Since we always had so many dogs in the house growing up (and beyond), it's safe to reckon this man's never been on vacation. He's just always been there. Every new stray with all the needed repairs, initial examinations ... emergencies ... always. One doctor. And no matter how banged up they were when we found them, they always pulled through and lived long, happy lives under his "no frills" care.

You have to get in his door between 10 am and 12 pm or 6pm to 8 pm, his "hours". Nooo, he doesn't call it a day at 8, or take a break between 12 and 6. Never could. Needs that time to spend with the patients who get in the door on time before more come knocking later. Thanks to the nasty weather, there were only 5 patients ahead of us when sister and I brought our dog down from our far away suburban home the morning of Feb 13 because a skin irritation just refused to go away, despite countless visits with our nearby vets.
He asked about our parents, of course, whom he hasn't seen in eons (moved away). Asks sister how business is going ... still doesn't miss a beat.

It had been over ten years since I'd seen Dr. M., but when he came out into his little lobby, I totally choked up. Gave him a hug, told him just how wonderful he is, and always has been. Thanked him. Profusely. Again.
He, himself, seemed pleasantly surprised with the emotional display, and I wondered just how many of his clients within the city limits realize just what they have right there under their noses.

A couple from New Jersey, their two larger dogs requiring off-hour visits to avoid other dogs, were waiting in the little lobby as we left around half past three.

For my dog, it was Valentine's Day, a day early this year. He got to meet Dr. M.

Since relocating, our family has experienced heartbreak and deceit in dealing with bigger veterinary practice which, unfortunately, are profit first. They need to push the drugs and other things which they get "points" for. Despite endless tests, our dogs have been misdiagnosed, and over-drugged since moving away from our Angel Doctor and something as simple as an ear infection couldn't be diagnosed, despite all the Xrays & blood tests we now needed for simple things Dr M. would diagnose with a thorough exam!

Funny how it would cost us a fraction to have our dogs diagnosed and treated, then about double for mere confusion and premature deaths while aggressively being pushed Science diet.

There are many more great, caring vets out there than "profit first" ones, I think. It's just that it seems more of the younger ones are starting out in the "profit first" facilities. I avoid the bigger places like the plague because we can't afford to hope for the diamond in the rough among the multi-doctors anymore. Too much confusion and heartbreak for over a decade. Other family members, fortunately for them, don't live in our area and know wonderful vets like Dr. M in their new neighborhoods as well. So there are many

PS And dog's ears even cleared up when we changed his diet: No CORN!! (Which Science Diet is loaded with :>(

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-20-2007 at 04:11 PM..

Old 05-20-2007, 04:42 PM

378 posts, read 1,166,980 times
Don't get me started about vets. I've moved a lot, have been in contact with quite a few. There have been good ones and there have been awful ones. The amounts I've paid for services have been anywhere from moderate to staggeringly high. I do not return to the ones that are so high. When I interview a vet (and I always do) I can usually sense if he is interested more in money than the pet, and I am seldom wrong. I have just changed from one vet to another one who also provides hollistic practices in addition to regular veterinarian services. Worth a try!

Per this forum during the pet food recall I will not give my business to a vet that has his lobby filled with the high-priced crap. It made sense to me, after having never been able to get one my cats to eat this stuff... EVER! The previous vet charged me almost $900.00 to pull four teeth on one of my cats. I still cannot put that behind me! I didn't pay that to have my OWN teeth pulled!!! He seems to have done a good job; the cat has recovered very nicely, so I will hand him that. But $900.00 is a lot of money (at least to me!!) Perhaps someone will convince me that it is a permissable amount...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets