Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times

Advertisements

Even if a state allows exotic animals, a city can still reject them. Usually large cities will not allow you to posses a anime classified as wild but the majority that will outnumber the few.

Kansas
Quote:
Summary of Law: No person may possess or breed a dangerous regulated animal as a "pet." Dangerous regulated animals include the following: lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, cheetah, mountain lion, hybrid of a large cat, bear, or venomous snake. Persons who are licensed by the United States Department of Agriculture and hold an Animal Welfare Act license are exempt as well as zoos accredited by the American Zoo and Aquarium Association, a wildlife sanctuary, research facility, etc.

Section 4. Transportation Permits and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. (1) Prior to entry into Kentucky, an annual or individual transportation permit as established in 301 KAR 2:081 shall be obtained for all shipments of wildlife. Persons shall be responsible for applying for a transportation permit who:
(a) Receive a shipment of wildlife;
(b) Import wildlife for their own use or possession; or
(c) Transport wildlife into and through the state to a destination outside Kentucky;

Foxes are not considered dangerous in Kansas so owning one as pet is allowed as long as you get a transportation permit. As always make sure to check with your city's to make sure you can own them within the city boundary.

Minnesota

Quote:
Summary of Law: It is unlawful for a person to possess a regulated animal. A regulated animal is defined as all members of the feline family (except domestic cats); all bears; and all non-human primates. A person who possesses a regulated animal on the effective date of the law, January 1, 2005, has 90 days to register the animal with the local animal control authority. Persons possessing a registered regulated animal may replace the regulated animal if he/she dies, but may replace he/she only once.
Citation: MINN. STAT. 346.155
Foxes are allowed in Minnesota since it is not listed as a regulated animal. Only requirement is to own a receipt of purchase from a breeder. No permit is required or experience. If you have the link or citation that states otherwise please post it here or pm me so that I can change what I have listed on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Minesota,
The state has what you say,you can poses with a permit.
BUT

Every city can put further requirements and restrictions on what you can have in the city limits.

I posted a couple of city's that do as an example.

It's YOUR list YOU do the work and look up each city's ordinances pertaining to possessing a fox.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Of course, just like I said in the beginning of the post. Even if the state allows exotic animals it is up to the city's to allow or not to allow. For the most part small towns allow but major cities do not.

No need to sound mad or anything. I aim only to inform people who may be interested in this.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Idaho is not on the list......but people tend to leave dog food on the side of the road to feed the foxes. Often one will see eggshells and little tin tray's were people leave them for the protected foxes. The foxes are not allowed to be hunted were I live, which leaves us over run by foxes........... no cat is safe outside the house most of the time.

I don't think most people consider foxes are a known carrier of rabies.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 PM

That is correct, there are debates on this very topic. I remember a young girl who lived in Ohio, who spend a lot of time in court arguing the issue after some of her neighbors filed complaints about her owning a fox. In the end she was allowed to keep the fox but it still took a lot of research on her part to know what to say in court since if she lost, her little friend would of been put down. However I do believe she was given a date to relocate since to her surprise, she lived within the city limits of a city that did not allow the ownership of exotic pets.

Edit: A little extra digging has turned up that you can not OWN a fox as a pet in Idaho. The law I posted before this pertained to exotic pets which Idaho does not consider a fox to be.

Quote:
TITLE 25 ANIMALS

CHAPTER 2 INSPECTION AND SUPPRESSION OF DISEASES AMONG LIVESTOCK

25-236. Possession, sale, trade, barter, exchange and importation of animals. (1) No person shall possess, offer for sale, trade, barter, exchange or importation into the state of Idaho any fox, skunk or raccoon, except as provided in subsection (2) or (3) of this section.(2) Fur farms may possess or import any domestic fur-bearing animals with a certificate of veterinary inspection and domestic fur-bearing animals may be sold, traded, bartered or exchanged between fur farms in Idaho.
(3) Public parks, zoos, museums, and educational institutions may possess or import the animals listed
This is also the very same reason you can't own a fox or raccoon in Texas. The states view these animals as carriers for rabies and will not permit them to be kept as pets.

Last edited by rgomez912; 12-07-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
I would love to have a fennec. But logic rules. In order to properly care for my animals, I must work. Even if I live somewhere that allows them now, I have no control over where future employment will take me.

I will generally avoid any breed that falls into a "exclusion," be it breed, weight, or whatever.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 15,630 times
does anyone know if your allowed foxes in south Australia

Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Sorry no, it is illegal to own a fox in South Australia.

South Australia

Under the Natural Resources
Management Act 2004, foxes are a declared animal
and must remain controlled on all lands. It is an
offence to keep, move, sell or release foxes

Fox legislation in Australia

Old 10-16-2013, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 15,409 times
I am working on a bucket list in school. Any tips?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 15,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Arkansas
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Code Book - Section 15.41 Native Wildlife Pets; also
Section 15.37 and 15.38 on Importation from another state
(they ban importation of foxes from 19 states: [Gray and red foxes that originate or have lived in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming or Canada.] ).
notes: no permit needed; one time $25 "importation permit" to bring in a fox from out of state. Arkansas also allows you to catch a fox in the wild to keep as a pet (section 15.41 A). Also, limit of 6 foxes per household

Illinois
Officer Roy Maul [email]DNR.Lawreception@Illinois.gov[/email]
note: pay yearly fee of $25.50 for the "Fur-bearing Mammal Breeder Permit”. The permit does not allow a person to capture or take a live fox from the wild. You have to purchase the fox from another licensed breeder and you must keep and maintain records of the purchase, sale, and propagation of your foxes.

Indiana
I HIGHLY recommend Indiana as they are hardly regulated there. It's almost like owning a dog in that respect.

Iowa
2009 Iowa Code/Statutes(Code Chapters & Sections)/TITLE XI NATURAL RESOURCES/SUBTITLE 6 WILDLIFE
[email]Steve.Dermand@dnr.iowa.gov[/email]
No permit needed. Only must keep the sales receipt from breeder and the health cert. in line with the Dept of Agriculture and their requirements.

Michigan
In Michigan, only NATIVE animals need DNR permits. This includes Red Foxes that are red in fur color (You do not need a DNR permit for a Red Fox that is Marble, Cross, Silver or ANY other color phase than red. Silvers, Marbles and Crosses ARE "Red" foxes though, just like how there are Yellow, Chocolate and Black Labradors, they are all Labradors) and you would need a permit for a Grey Fox. Fennecs are not native to Michigan.

Minnesota
note: " As long as you purchase the fox from a legal game farm and DO NOT take it from the wild, it is legal to own one. A person who owns a captive bred fox is required to maintain the receipt obtained when the animal was purchased. This is your proof that you did not take it from the wild" - Lori Naumann, DNR officer... [email]lori.naumann@dnr.state.mn.us[/email]

Mississippi
[url]http://home.mdwfp.com/PDF/Wildlife/3523.1.pdf[/url] (broken link)

Nebraska
Nebraska state law does not require a permit to keep them

Ohio
1531.02 "State ownership of wild animals" AND 1533.71 "License to raise or keep game birds and animals"
note: $25 a year "Noncommercial propagating license" for a "fur-bearing animal" like the fox "to hold the animals in captivity."

Oklahoma
Allowed

Rhode Island
[url=http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE4/4-18/INDEX.HTM]Chapter 4-18 - Index of Sections[/url]

Virginia
foxes allowed
4 VAC 15-30-10 - Possession, importation, sale, etc., of wild animals. Under the authority of §§ 29.1-103 and 29.1-521 of the Code of Virginia it shall be unlawful to take, possess, import, cause to be imported, export, cause to be exported, buy, sell, offer for sale, or liberate within the Commonwealth any wild animal unless otherwise specifically permitted by law or regulation. Unless otherwise stated, for the purposes of identifying species regulated by the board, when both the scientific and common names are listed, the scientific reference to genus and species will take precedence over common names.
But it IS considered lawful to possess any animal that VA considers domestic. VA listed red fox under domestic races of animals.

Wisconsin
[email]Donna.Leighton@Wisconsin.gov[/email]
note: for "native captive wild animals," which a red fox apparently would be, a Class B "Captive Wild Animal Farm License" $50 Initial Application/$25 Renewal is required. Also, the fox must be kept in a pen at all times that meets the minimum requirements as listed in the regulations pamphlet; the fox "may not be kept in any part of a building or home where people live unless receiving temporary health care.

Wyoming
You can own foxes in Wyoming and most other exotics. You can't own moose, deer, elk as pets.
Do I have to get a license to own a fox in Oklahoma?
If so, Please send link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets