U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
tao tao started this thread

721 posts, read 3,108,114 times

Advertisements

We're all pet lovers in this forum so no one needs to be convinced to be kind to animals. These stories are extremely upsetting to me. I want to be part of the Pet Forum but I'm concerned about constantly having to see headlines about animal abuse, neglect, executions. I'm way too sensitive to handle it. I can't even watch the Animal Planet channel anymore because they always show horrible commercials for those Animal Cops shows. I just can't bear to see an animal in any kind of pain, let alone see an abused animal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:22 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,672,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
We're all pet lovers in this forum so no one needs to be convinced to be kind to animals. These stories are extremely upsetting to me. I want to be part of the Pet Forum but I'm concerned about constantly having to see headlines about animal abuse, neglect, executions. I'm way too sensitive to handle it. I can't even watch the Animal Planet channel anymore because they always show horrible commercials for those Animal Cops shows. I just can't bear to see an animal in any kind of pain, let alone see an abused animal.

Not sure if you are referring to the Katrina post? I'm going to guess "yes".
At any rate let it be clear that it was not posted to convince anyone to be kind to animals. Yes, it is a very upsetting. But it is also something that took place and many people were not aware of the terrible things that were going on there.

I do not agree with sweeping things under the rug or looking the other way when something bad is happening and it could have been prevented ...but that's just me.

I volunteer at a no-kill animal shelter. We received about 10 Katrina dog/cats that were lost in the shuffle during that devasting time. I will spare the details I experienced and witnessed first hand with these animals.

My only suggestion and you are surely entitled to your opinion...but if you don't want to read the information here don't click on the thread. Kind of like TV or radio...change the station....you have the choice.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 AM

5,254 posts, read 17,425,010 times
Most often the titles of the thread can lead you to what it's about. I can understand your having qualms, but I agree that this should not be swept under the carpet. As with most forums, I'm certain there are lurkers and if something can be taught that is a realism in our world, then why not educate.

I've put in too many years (blood, sweat and tears) of rescuing and educating to pretend that these things don't happen.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:31 AM
tao tao started this thread

721 posts, read 3,108,114 times
You're both right. I think I'm too sensitive for this forum so I think I'll just stay out of it from now on. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 AM

39,256 posts, read 69,748,497 times
If we as pet lovers don't know the specifics about animal abuse and neglect, how can we do anything about it?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,674,351 times
Tao, just stay away from those threads.
MBG

Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,672,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post

I've put in too many years (blood, sweat and tears) of rescuing and educating to pretend that these things don't happen.

Thank you for taking part in rescuing and educating others.
I only wish more people would dedicate some of their free time and do the same.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,511,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
Well I think being pet lovers and being pet advocates are different. Bringing awareness and education about stories of abuse and neglect can only help people not to repeat those behaviors themselves or possibly push someone to recognize and report a problem if they should see one. It also will hopefully want to make more people get involved with rescuing and fostering pets. So I understand that these stories bother you, but you can always just skip those threads. Or better yet get involved with saving pets by volunteering to foster or help out at your local shelter if you can't take animals into your own house.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM

14,499 posts, read 25,622,824 times
To the OP I understand. But also it helps to educate people- unfortunately some people do not realize they shouldn't chain their dog to a tree in the summer, etc.

Just avoid those posts (same reason I avoid politics-lol)

sunny

Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM

13,394 posts, read 43,377,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Tao, just stay away from those threads.
MBG
Yeah, that's what I do, at least sometimes.
I don't want to sweep these subjects under the rug, but sometimes I do have trouble looking at or reading about these stories. I had to give up watching Animal Cops, too. I just could not take it.
But I salute all animal advocates, and appreciate what they go through every single day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets