Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2010, 10:39 AM

82 posts, read 265,926 times

Advertisements

I'm 33 and a PA native. I grew up in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area and then lived in the Pittsburgh area after college. I now live in Las Vegas and have been here for 5 years. I have had enough of this place and I just can't take the West Coast anymore. There people out here are horrible. Nevada has the worst economy and housing market in the country, not to mention the education system ranks last in the nation.

I have an 8 year old and I just can have her in Las Vegas anymore for so many reasons. I am a teacher so I know first hand just how bad the schools are.

I would love to move back to PA to teach, but it is so tough to get a teaching job in PA, especially right now. The good thing is I teach Spanish so I would be in more demand than most subjects.

Philadelphia Public does need Spanish teachers so I am thinking of applying.

My questions are:

1. What would be a good area for a young family to look for an apartment? I would probably teach in the city but commute from somewhere. I have been to Philly a few times, but don't have first hand knowledge of the suburbs and areas.
2. What are some good school districts around the Philly area? Chances are if we are living in the suburbs, my daughter would go to one of the local schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 45,502 times
Hmm... Well I'm a Philly native and will actually move out of Philly when my son is closer to school age because the schools are not so good. Unless you can get her into Friends, but it's expensive.
Montgomery County is where I'd look if I were you. Wyncote, Springfield Township, Abington...
Do you teach gradeschool or highschool? Really research it and talk to people, because I feel like finding a job might be difficult. (a job you can tolerate, that is!)
Talk to teachers out here to get more definite answers on that subject !!
Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia