Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
You moved to Philly from DALLAS how are you still alive? Unless your not a cowgirls fan
I'm not originally from Dallas, and indeed, I never cared for the football team that plays in Arlington, TX (not even Dallas, used to be Irving), in all the 7+ years I lived in and around Dallas.

For that matter, a lot of locals in Dallas didn't much care for Jerry Jones and his team either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,083 times
Queen Village, Bella Vista, Passyunk Square, Passyunk Crossing, Graduate Hospital, Old City, Northern Liberties, Fairmount/Art Museum, University City, Powelton Village, etc etc... all neighborhoods that got turned around and are for the most part great places to live... all happened in the last 10 to 20 years I'd say? Other areas like East Falls, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, West Mt Airy, etc are also all very stable and never really had a downfall or if they did it wasn't so bad, and are now really good middle class to upper class neighborhoods. Even the ghetto areas are getting smaller though there is still a long ways to go for fixing that.

Philly was an overwhelmingly industrial dependent city as late as 1970s. For it to turn itself around in the 1990s and 2000s, to such a degree, I think it is doing well for itself.

Cup half empty or cup half full? It's half full, and getting filled up...

Are you a Tigger or an Eeyore? Negadelphians seem to typify Eeyore personality.

Are You a Tigger or an Eeyore? « The Mental Gardener

Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM

149 posts, read 445,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
Other areas like East Falls, Manayunk, Chestnut Hill, West Mt Airy, etc are also all very stable and never really had a downfall or if they did it wasn't so bad, and are now really good middle class to upper class neighborhoods.
2/3 of East Mt Airy falls into this category as well.....I always see W Mt Airy singled out and it irks me. Why? Because I live in East Mt Airy and it is a good middle to upper class neighborhood as well and needs to be added to the conversation. There is a relatively small troubled area of EMA, but by all accounts improvements are happening.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

154 posts, read 322,447 times
Philadelphia is and has always been defined by blocks, not neighborhoods. Back in the day it was defined by what church (Parrish) you belonged too, only because Philly is weird in that if you are catholic you can only belong to the church nearest you unless you get a written exemption from the church. So people defined themselves by Parrish.

Now a days, it's more block by block. Outside of Rittenhouse and Old City / Society Hill almost all the "neighborhoods" have some questionable / sketchy blocks. Even the big name dropping ones like Queen Village and Bella Vista.

For Example, Queen Village has a Public housing / ghetto element to it, you have burned out crack houses one block away from renovated million dollar row houses, a fact often left out by most realtors and online discussions. 9th & Fitzwater and 9th & Washington though both part of Bella Vista might as well be different countries they have such a different feel. Broad generalizations don't work for the city as a whole and they don't work for neighborhoods either; which is why Philly can seem so fractured at times.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,559 times
Thanks G Goo where would you suggest for a family to check out i'm going to start coming in 01/11 to get a fill for the place. O and the south bronx is scary as heck but i had fun last time i was there

Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freememonb View Post
Thanks G Goo where would you suggest for a family to check out i'm going to start coming in 01/11 to get a fill for the place. O and the south bronx is scary as heck but i had fun last time i was there
What is your budget? Are you looking for a (detached? row?) house or an apartment? How many bedrooms?

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM

66 posts, read 181,018 times
Philly is definitely one of the best cities. I was born and raised in Philly then moved to NYC and up and down the East Coast. Whenever I come back to Philly it gets better and better, I definitely plan to move back and settle down here when all is said and done.

Philly is like an NYC that is less crowded and has more soul and character to it. The food quality is extremely good (must be the Dutch country ingredients) and overall it's a incredibly fun city where you don't have to break the bank to go out (ala NYC). In fact, I've had more fun overall in Philly than in NYC. That's not a slam against NYC, it's just that I find Philly a lot more authentic and a lot less pretentious.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:53 PM

66 posts, read 181,018 times
Most people who seem to have negative things to say about Philly are either from the city and never experienced living anywhere else (and so blame the city for their unfortunate lives) or people from outside of the city who happened to land smack dab in the middle of a bad block.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,559 times
Default It depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
What is your budget? Are you looking for a (detached? row?) house or an apartment? How many bedrooms?
Honestly i'm open to anything i really would like 3-4 bedrooms and i want to stay between 680-750 a month

Old 11-05-2010, 06:51 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freememonb View Post
Honestly i'm open to anything i really would like 3-4 bedrooms and i want to stay between 680-750 a month
That's honestly not going to happen anywhere in the city that's particularly safe let alone well-kept. That may get you a 2BR home in some borderline places or a 1BR apartment in some stable if not glamorous neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia