Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 04:53 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwhatisup View Post
There is reason why the majority of kids experimenting, using, and abusing drugs and alcohol live in either suburban or rural areas.
The majority are from the suburbs/rural areas? Can you back this up with some solid evidence? I'm curious as I noticed that you've only been a resident of Philadelphia for two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 AM

154 posts, read 322,622 times
Quote:
Idle hands do the devils work.

There is reason why the majority of kids experimenting, using, and abusing drugs and alcohol live in either suburban or rural areas.

The idea that your kids are "safe" in the suburb is more perception than reality. Sure you're less likely to get mugged in Center City than you are in King of Prussia Mall. However, what is the price? Their are drawbacks to raising your kids in a suburban sheltered controlled neighborhood. Primarily, kids are not exposed anyone or anything different. By doing this you are putting your kids at huge disadvantage when they get out in the real world.

Maybe I'm bias because I've lived in urban environments my entire life and I intend to do the same with my kids. However, once I left college I had a huge advantage over other young adults looking for my first career job. I spoke three languages, I had no fear of failure (as living in the city is tough and you constantly fail and learn from it), I was extremely empathetic having grown up around people different from myself, I was street smart, etc... I can go on and on.

I think that the biggest advantage I have is that I'm not really fearful. It seems to me that their is to much emphasis on keeping your kids safe instead of just letting them live and experience life. You can only keep your kids safe for so long before they have to go out into the world on their own. Do you really want to ill-equiped them in life by sheltering them from anything bad?
come back when you have kids. I guarantee you will see the world in a much, much different light.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
come back when you have kids. I guarantee you will see the world in a much, much different light.
there are a lot more kids in cc these days it seems and it gets better for kids every year. they are adding a kid oriented section to logan sq. if you can afford private or a place in cc where there are good schools, it's not bad at all. I have family that has done it quite successfully. drug use is rampant in all walks of life and eve at the suburban schools. you have to watch out for your kid no matter where they go. I'm not saying the OP should move to strawberry mansion and send his kids to the local PS but you can raise them well in the city and it's getting easier every year.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

154 posts, read 322,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
there are a lot more kids in cc these days it seems and it gets better for kids every year. they are adding a kid oriented section to logan sq. if you can afford private or a place in cc where there are good schools, it's not bad at all. I have family that has done it quite successfully. drug use is rampant in all walks of life and eve at the suburban schools. you have to watch out for your kid no matter where they go. I'm not saying the OP should move to strawberry mansion and send his kids to the local PS but you can raise them well in the city and it's getting easier every year.
I agree completely! However, you yourself hit it right on the head when you said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
if you can afford private or a place in cc where there are good schools
That IF, might be the biggest "if" in a family's life. How much does a house in Logan Square go for? A condo? Last time I checked kindergarten at a private school in Philly cost as much as as my first semester of college. There are simply just not a lot of people that will fit into that situation comfortably. Step outside that sitautaion and things change dramatically.

We are in the process of deciding to leave the city or stay (now that we have kids approaching school age) and from all the info I've been gathering staying is going to be a gamble. Every list and forum wants to tout the greatness of the charter and magnet schools when compared to the burbs, but two things that always seem to be glossed over are 1. IF you get into these schools then great, but IF you don't...........2. these schools hand pick students and pre-qualify them, so in a way they are stacking their team (sandbagging if you) yet are only just on par with the burbs who have to take everyone inside the district lines......good, bad, challenged and everywhere in between.....that does not paint the magnet / charter schools in such a great light.

I've said it before on here......The city is great IF you are rich, or IF you are poor. But for the the rest of us, it is a gamble at best. A lot of others on here will disagree with me, but they are already living in a good area, and most got in before the prices hit the roof, now it is whole new game. .

Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
How are the parochial schools in philly? i assume they're not very expensive.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
How are the parochial schools in philly? i assume they're not very expensive.
from what i can tell from recent news they are lacking funding, students, and closing by the handful every year that passes.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 PM

203 posts, read 561,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padugan View Post
I agree completely! However, you yourself hit it right on the head when you said,

That IF, might be the biggest "if" in a family's life. How much does a house in Logan Square go for? A condo? Last time I checked kindergarten at a private school in Philly cost as much as as my first semester of college. There are simply just not a lot of people that will fit into that situation comfortably. Step outside that sitautaion and things change dramatically.

We are in the process of deciding to leave the city or stay (now that we have kids approaching school age) and from all the info I've been gathering staying is going to be a gamble. Every list and forum wants to tout the greatness of the charter and magnet schools when compared to the burbs, but two things that always seem to be glossed over are 1. IF you get into these schools then great, but IF you don't...........2. these schools hand pick students and pre-qualify them, so in a way they are stacking their team (sandbagging if you) yet are only just on par with the burbs who have to take everyone inside the district lines......good, bad, challenged and everywhere in between.....that does not paint the magnet / charter schools in such a great light.

I've said it before on here......The city is great IF you are rich, or IF you are poor. But for the the rest of us, it is a gamble at best. A lot of others on here will disagree with me, but they are already living in a good area, and most got in before the prices hit the roof, now it is whole new game. .
Good points.

I think it comes down to off sets. Where do you work? If in the city and you go from a short walking commute to a long drive, that worth something? Dual career, even more of an issue.

Can you drop a car? Will you take advantage of the city? How much space can you live with out?

There are some schools (like Penn A) that are catchement based and they do well. Mind you they have some very well off and not so very well off families. Homes there are $450k for reasonable big houses.

It is not unrealistic to pay that in the burbs in the better school areas.

The city is pricey. But so are many areas in the burbs that afford walking to places to eat and acess to public tranportation.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
there are so many things wrong with the above paragraph. you are a carbon cutout urban snob! get the ... over yourself. suburban people are unable to have a conversation? uncultured? sloppy? every suburban person is like this? walk around south philly if you want to see sloppy people.

exactly. I lived in both and the burbs have wayyyyyy more class. No comparison..

Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:

The idea that your kids are "safe" in the suburb is more perception than reality. Sure you're less likely to get mugged in Center City than you are in King of Prussia Mall. However, what is the price? Their are drawbacks to raising your kids in a suburban sheltered controlled neighborhood. Primarily, kids are not exposed anyone or anything different. By doing this you are putting your kids at huge disadvantage when they get out in the real world.

Maybe I'm bias because I've lived in urban environments my entire life and I intend to do the same with my kids. However, once I left college I had a huge advantage over other young adults looking for my first career job. I spoke three languages, I had no fear of failure (as living in the city is tough and you constantly fail and learn from it), I was extremely empathetic having grown up around people different from myself, I was street smart, etc... I can go on and on.

I think that the biggest advantage I have is that I'm not really fearful. It seems to me that their is to much emphasis on keeping your kids safe instead of just letting them live and experience life. You can only keep your kids safe for so long before they have to go out into the world on their own. Do you really want to ill-equiped them in life by sheltering them from anything bad?
absolutely 1000% incorrect. way more drugs IN the city then in the burbs.. Way more.. I can say with certaintly bucause I lived in both areas.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Center city is many, many times more likely at being involved with a crime then in the better burbs.. Use that crime spot link thing if you want .. You will be surprised.. We sometimes even forget to love out house doors and cars doors. Nothing ever happens. Think that will be the same in center city? I can leave my garage door wide open for days with all my tools in plain view and nothing happens. Once in the city I put a tool box out my back door and went in to get more and someone stole the whole box..within seconds..

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia