Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times

Advertisements

How old is this whole "Tri-State" metro area?

I always believed, as a Wilmington native, that Wilmington wasn't identified with Philadelphia until recently, but the more I learn, the further back the attachment goes.

I've even seen TV stuff from the early 50s already using "tri-state" and "Delaware Valley" terminology.

I am pretty sure that at one time, Wilmington had it's own identity, but I'm wondering when it was assimilated into Greater Philadelphia.

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Not sure when, but I've been bewildered (especially on this forum) how it's often left out of conversation
when people from out-of-state are asking for relocation advice for communities near the airport for example. Look at a map people!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
I believe it was in the 1980 Census

Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I've even seen TV stuff from the early 50s already using "tri-state" and "Delaware Valley" terminology.

I am pretty sure that at one time, Wilmington had it's own identity, but I'm wondering when it was assimilated into Greater Philadelphia.

Anybody know?
I don't know for sure (I'm not an old-timer in the least), but given postwar building and expansion and the completion of 95 as an interstate, your guess of the 1950s, seems like it would be the most likely given it gave greater access between the cities. I think the rail line was already there (the tracks and the ability), but I'm sure that too became more efficient during this time and into the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure when, but I've been bewildered (especially on this forum) how it's often left out of conversation
when people from out-of-state are asking for relocation advice for communities near the airport for example. Look at a map people!
Yeah, me too, but then, I've noticed that users in the Philly forum seem to suggest certain areas over and over again and leave out others frequently. Not sure if many more on here live in those areas and so they like suggesting them or what, but it seems limited sometimes. In other states and cities, I've noticed more variety in suggestions.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
Yeah, me too, but then, I've noticed that users in the Philly forum seem to suggest certain areas over and over again and leave out others frequently. Not sure if many more on here live in those areas and so they like suggesting them or what, but it seems limited sometimes. In other states and cities, I've noticed more variety in suggestions.
I've posted in a few threads on here where living in Wilmington has been presented as an option.

I think part of the problem is that, especially for Pennsylvanians, outside of the 4 suburban counties there is only this nether world of places that suck that lie between them and the places they like to visit. Just think of the language that they use. Take two people, one from Cherry Hill and the other from Upper Merion and put them in California. A guy on the street asks where they're from and the Cherry Hill native says, "the Philadelphia suburbs." The person from Upper Merion would then correct them and say "I live in the Philly 'burbs. Cherry Hill is in South Jersey."

The other problem is that since New Castle Co. doesn't border the City, people think of it as they would think of Salem Co., Mercer Co., etc. That and people who come here looking for advice usually come with jobs in the Center City, Great Valley, Ft. Washington, Route 38 corridor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia