U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Detroit, MI
2 posts, read 4,182 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I am so excited about starting a new future. I really want to move to Philly but I'm totally clueless about it and would like all the info I can get. I found the below questions in another thread so I decided to answer them to give you an idea about me. Please tell me alll I need to know. Is it easy to find jobs? I want to be able to stay in a decent neighborhood near all the action but not quite in Center City b/c I heard it was expensive. I have a daughter so I want her in a good school and a safe neighborhood. I look fwd to your advice.

When are you moving?
January or February 2011

Where are you coming from?
Detroit, MI

Why are you moving?
I want to get out of Michigan and do something different.

Where will you be working?
Not sure yet. I am a college student.

Have you been here yet?
No.


Will you buy or rent?
Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
I am moving with my 1 yr old daughter and my best friend who has a dog as well so I prefer a townhouse or house for rent. Ideally, I would love to say in a decent place and are paying NO MORE than 400 per person(2 ppl)


Are you keeping a car?
Yes. I have a car

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
It depends on my mood. I do not like to sit in the house that's for sure.

What do you want to be closest to?
All of these...
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations


Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM
 
8,002 posts, read 18,351,081 times
Reputation: 2690
While it's appreciated that you answered all of these questions, it would be hard to pinpoint a place without knowing where you'll be going to school as there would be more than a few places that would qualify in most of those categories.

The one aspect that will cut things down will be your preferred combined rent of $800/month. Homes in larger Northeast cities like Philly will generally be more expensive than comparable dwellings in Michigan. Unless you're dealing with a private owner, a townhouse or detached house will cost upwards of $1000 in most places that are considered moderately popular or comfortable. $800 is more typical of an above-average 1BR apt or an "okay" 2BR apt.

If you have experience in working-class neighborhoods that are diverse or primarily African-American, then some communities in suburban Delaware County like Upper Darby, Darby, Yeadon, Collingdale and Sharon Hill may have rentals available in your range and would be relatively convenient to the city via buses and the light rail trolley. Note that these areas aren't pristine or problem-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: SE Florida
1,194 posts, read 3,736,156 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
While it's appreciated that you answered all of these questions, it would be hard to pinpoint a place without knowing where you'll be going to school as there would be more than a few places that would qualify in most of those categories.

The one aspect that will cut things down will be your preferred combined rent of $800/month. Homes in larger Northeast cities like Philly will generally be more expensive than comparable dwellings in Michigan. Unless you're dealing with a private owner, a townhouse or detached house will cost upwards of $1000 in most places that are considered moderately popular or comfortable. $800 is more typical of an above-average 1BR apt or an "okay" 2BR apt.

If you have experience in working-class neighborhoods that are diverse or primarily African-American, then some communities in suburban Delaware County like Upper Darby, Darby, Yeadon, Collingdale and Sharon Hill may have rentals available in your range and would be relatively convenient to the city via buses and the light rail trolley. Note that these areas aren't pristine or problem-free.
I had not visited Michigan but lived in Delawary County for 45 years until 2006. I also worked 35 of those years for the govt. in the city of Philadelphia.

How can you say "some communities in suburban Delaway County like---" is something I take offense to when you are attempting to compare the areas "you " consider safe and reasonable for the transferee to rent.

Next time please consider your language as you attempt to define "diverse".... Bad choice of words for a moderator...

...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 AM
 
8,002 posts, read 18,351,081 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I had not visited Michigan but lived in Delawary County for 45 years until 2006. I also worked 35 of those years for the govt. in the city of Philadelphia.

How can you say "some communities in suburban Delaway County like---" is something I take offense to when you are attempting to compare the areas "you " consider safe and reasonable for the transferee to rent.

Next time please consider your language as you attempt to define "diverse".... Bad choice of words for a moderator...

...
Synergy1,

I lived in Upper Darby for about 7 years from the mid-90's to early 00's. During my time there, I had a chance to visit the areas that I suggested. Generally speaking, I had a positive experience although issues with my particular housing situation compelled me to look into University City which, beyond the 40th Street area, isn't that much different than where I lived IMO.

The OP clearly said that they were looking for diversity, which I took to mean a varied ethnic/racial mix, in an area likely to accomodate their wish for a house in their rental range. I felft that the close-in Delco suburbs that I suggested would fit the bill. Are these communities the "safest" around? Perhaps not. But they probably compare favorably to city neighborhoods that would fall within the OP's rental range. Other suburban areas may be similarly diverse but, again, they would likely not be within the rent parameters that the OP is looking for.

There is indeed a potential trade-off regarding relative safety which I assumed the OP would discover doing their due diligence. Without knowing the OP's ethnicity or personal experience, I gave the answer that best fit their criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM
 
2,783 posts, read 6,483,991 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I had not visited Michigan but lived in Delawary County for 45 years until 2006. I also worked 35 of those years for the govt. in the city of Philadelphia.

How can you say "some communities in suburban Delaway County like---" is something I take offense to when you are attempting to compare the areas "you " consider safe and reasonable for the transferee to rent.

Next time please consider your language as you attempt to define "diverse".... Bad choice of words for a moderator...

...
You should probably not completely butcher the spelling of 'Delaware County' twice before calling out a moderator...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM
 
21,703 posts, read 31,562,764 times
Reputation: 20601
So I have to ask, why Philadelphia? The city isn't exactly a mecca for those who are choosing a place to live versus a job transfer. The unemployment rate in the city is close to rivaling Detroit's, the crime rate is similar and the cost of living is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
 
373 posts, read 557,696 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
So I have to ask, why Philadelphia? The city isn't exactly a mecca for those who are choosing a place to live versus a job transfer. The unemployment rate in the city is close to rivaling Detroit's, the crime rate is similar and the cost of living is higher.
Moderator Cut

Have you ever been to Detroit, or at least in the past 3 years??
Violent Crime Detroit : 3.38 x National Average
Violent Crime Philadelphia : 2.31 x National Average
Property Crime Detroit : 1.58 x National Average
Property Crime Philadelphia : 0.95 x National Average
Unemployment Rates (BLS.GOV - 6/30/2010
Detroit: 13.7%
Philadelphia: 9.4%, which is Less than: Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Atlanta,
Charlotte - and most of California and close to NYC.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-18-2010 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: let's stay relevant to the Philly forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: SE Florida
1,194 posts, read 3,736,156 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
You should probably not completely butcher the spelling of 'Delaware County' twice before calling out a moderator...
I give up... I am not your College professor but if I were your passing grade would be.....A.....Good catch and keep in mind that moderators are not always accurate. HHUUMM...Neither am I...hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 PM
 
Location: The City
22,363 posts, read 32,854,612 times
Reputation: 7786
Also another area may be Southwark in South Philly, with your daughter being 1 schools may not be a pressing issue but may give you a flavor without the need for schools and time to move/upgrade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 11:17 PM
 
238 posts, read 552,483 times
Reputation: 135
i would suggest that you monitor philadelphia section of craig's list housing, to get a feel for rental housing pricing and neighborhoods. this together with google maps may give you some ideas.

if you are going to attend school there, that area may give you a starting point. if that's the case, which school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top