Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 PM

14 posts, read 29,130 times

Advertisements

I'm in contract for a home that was found to have 14 average pico curies of radon.

The house has a finished basement. What's involved in installing a quality, effective mitigation system?

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to consider costs of refinishing the basement again also.
This will all be coming out of my pocket, seller keeps writing "as-is" on the contract even though we specifically typed it in for him, so he's obviously trying to emphasize that he won't pay for any of the expensive things he left out of the disclosure and are far from the MLS sales ad for the house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Radon mitigation is generally $800-1400 max. If your basement is all one level, no different height crawl, dirt sections, etc, then a system would involve one or two down pipes to holes in the concrete floor up to to a single pipe to a high flow fan and up and out of the home. The only remodeling may be if you want to hide the piping post install...

Safe shelter was recommended to me by my home inspector. I went with a cheaper internet installer due to low radon level (3) but they ended up running the pipe through the front of the house vs the back and the fan is way loud...but I only paid $800 for the install, but there were hassles in getting it right. Now I may go back and add a muffler or have the pipe rerouted to the back of the home.

I would definitely check out www.safeshelter.com and they may be able to zero in on the price if given the square footage of the basement and radon level...

Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Where is the floor piping installed? At the edges or the center?
I'm picturing a few pipes run to the center of the floor with jackhammered trenches in the slab. Is that about right or do they find other ways to less invasively install it?

I keep reading that it's around $1300, so I can't imagine they're doing much construction work, like trenching and backfilling with new concrete.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
Typically on one end or both ends of the room, whatever makes for the shortest run up and out. Can be against the back or side walls depending where the up pipe will be. They drill a 6-8" diameter hole, remove a few cubic feet of rocks and dirt from it to create a suction pit, then seal the pipe to the pit with cement. The only mess is the dust from drilling the concrete cores.

They try to locate where you want it - you want the up pipe to run up a wall into the garage or through closets to the attic (makes the fan last longer) or the back or side of the house whichever makes the shortest run (or you have to use a stronger fan which may also be louder) and away from windows and bedrooms preferably as there can be some noise along the pipe - the pipe has to vent 10' from windows or x feet up above the second level of the house...

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Cool, thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia