Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM

23 posts, read 53,024 times

Advertisements

Moving to Skippack Collegeville area soon. Anyone have any input on this area that I may not have read about online? Maybe favorite places to eat shop. Personal. Info. On schools? Things to do in area. Anything!?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:48 AM

119 posts, read 384,647 times
Go to Wegmans in Collegeville for your grocery shopping. The Black Dog Cafe in Skippack is pretty good. I have heard good things about Brasserie 73 too, but it was a little pricey for what the wife and I were looking for so we haven't tried it yet.

Be sure to come down and visit Phoenixville as well. If you're looking for good food you won't find any shortage of it down here.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Schools are pretty good. It's in the Perkiomen Valley SD. Not top-rated, but well-regarded.

The Collegeville area has plenty of shopping. It's only about 5-10 minutes away. Also, you can drive to Plymouth Meeting, King of Prussia, or Montgomervyille for all the malls, chains, and furniture stores you'll really need.

Skippack has lots of small shops and boutiques. It's very nice. It can be a little quiet but it's a nice place to live and raise kids. You will be in a quiet area but close to the shopping and other amenities. There are some decent outdoor activities including Evansburg State Park which is huge, as well as Valley Forge, about 20-25 minutes away.

The Back Porch Cafe in Skippack is a good place to eat. Mal's is a nice little diner but seems a little overpriced. I've heard good things about the Chinese/Japanese restaurant as well. Bella Rossa was good but expensive. Actually, many of the restaurants are good, but a tad bit expensive.

Check out this website:

Skippack Village Restaurant

Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM

Thank you so much for the info. So far I have heard no negatives, which makes me feel good about the move! Will definitely check out some of the recommendations. Looking forward to getting there! How about best dry cleaner in the area as well? Any suggestions? Or dentist/ doctor?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:33 AM

36 posts, read 80,646 times
I visit Skippack fairly regularly. I enjoy the atmosphere there very much. very quaint and great places to eat. Fairly regular community activities as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:53 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I love that area; it's so lush and peaceful.

Evansburg and Green Lane state parks are nearby; Green Lane especially has a number of events and programs. The Perkiomen trail runs through the area for good biking/hiking. The Peter Wentz Farmstead and Pennypacker Mills are two nearby historic sites that have regular events.

In Norristown, there's the Norristown Farm Park that has concerts on Saturday nights, and the Elmwood Park Zoo -- a nice little shady zoo, with animals that mostly are native to North America, that won't break your back or your bank.

There's a farmer's market every Sunday morning at the corner of Skippack Pike and Bridge Road; Merrymead Farm is nearby and sells dairy products, baked goods, in-season produce and garden plants, and local honey/jam/relish etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Yay! Always good to find out the real deal from locals! Anyone else with two cents to add please do... Sounds like we found a great place to live!

Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,333 times
Yep, there are no shortage of groceries, shopping, or activities. PA park systems are outstanding. If you have kids, this is the place to be. Most activities are geared toward children. If you don't have kids, well, there are groceries, shopping, and the parks.

Skippack Village is a cool place to walk about. It's very trendy, but pricey. According to Sperlings Best Places ranking, Skippack's cost of living is 15% higher than the National Average.

But, there is a reason for this. Within 15-20 mins. you can reach any of half dozen or more grocery stores, at least 3 dozen eateries, half dozen or more parks, hospitals, colleges, the Turnpike, and all the shopping malls you could ever imagine. It's one hour to the mountains, 2 hours to the shore, 2 hours to NYC.

Great, right? Just be prepared for the traffic. Posted speed limit signs are for decorative purposes. The maps used to writeup this region, as the Phila. countryside. Now, it's listed, as the Philly suburbs. It's perfect for the younger generation.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Thank you so much for the info. Sounds like we will be happy there! Anyone know the closest Home Depot/ Loews in the area?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
map of skippack and collegeville - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia