Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 12:54 PM

128 posts, read 540,783 times

Advertisements

Hi..so i moved back to philadelphia from hawaii recently and when I looked to update my auto insurance quote from Geico they quoted me at around $1100/6 month...thats doubled what I had in hawaii from $600/6 month. Fine I understand that philly has more drivers and such but when I asked my philly geico friends what they pay, they all basically tell me they pay around $600/6 month! WTH..why am I being quoted doubled what they are paying?
To fill in the missing blanks...my friends and I are all around 30 years old, and I have a new 2010 Mazda 3 and 1 friend has a new 2010 Audi A4 with 3 points on his insurance and he still pays half of what I was quoted. The other friend drives a new (well it was new last year when he bought it) 2009 Toyota Corolla with a point on his insurance yet he still pays much less than what I was quoted. All of us has full coverage too so I dont understand why I am being quote so much more than my other friends thru Geico??
Does anyone know why...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Geico are crooks. Shop around for the best insurance rates. To me all insurance companies are crooks but geico is right up their like the hartford.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

177 posts, read 530,449 times
I use GEICO, it's actually the cheapest quote I was offered.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:43 PM

316 posts, read 1,015,623 times
What are other insurance companies quoting you? Your quote seems more in line with the area than what your friends are paying. Are you positive they are getting the same level of coverage of what you are requesting? I kept my insurance out of state through my old address and through my dad's address just because the cost of car insurance is high around here. $600/6 month quote wouldn't have done that. I have a hard time believing that your friends are paying so little for full coverage through Geico.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM

I havent gotten a chance to shop around yet for other quotes. Since I was with Geico in HI their quote is the only one I know so far...but i will definitely look around now. Thanks

Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM

518 posts, read 1,052,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
I havent gotten a chance to shop around yet for other quotes. Since I was with Geico in HI their quote is the only one I know so far...but i will definitely look around now. Thanks
Get rid of Full tort and you will save alot. They put in on by default. You may want to play w/some deductibles depending on the state of your car too.

I switched to Progressive after getting a lousy quote from Geico (my old ins co), when I moved here recently. Saved several hundred bucks. Same thing when I switched from state farm to geico down in NC. I think they will give you better quotes when you switch to get you in the door basically.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Get rid of Full tort and you will save alot. They put in on by default. You may want to play w/some deductibles depending on the state of your car too.

This.

I've had Geico for years and I just did an online quote from Geico (moving from NJ to Philly) and full tort doubles my insurance while removing the option would make my insurance go up $20/month. They email the quote with both totals.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Can someone tell me what the difference between full tort and limited tort is? Advantages of having it? If i go with limited tort it will lower my 6 month premium by about $300..is full tort worth having?

Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia