Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,101 times

Advertisements

This city caters to the destruction of boys- yes or no? I will say that there are some pretty aggressive and violent boys out there and Mayor Nutter doesn't seem to have many good alternatives to closing programs. Enough of that looking for sound tips and advice here is my dilemma:

So my son has been punched in the face three times- never defends himself. He strains lifting average furniture around the house like a television. He is almost 6ft tall, weighs around 135-140lbs and is very weak. He's not a fighter, but this is ridiculous!!! I don't know how to fight(professionally), but I know how to defend myself and put up a good front of toughness. I also figure a mum shouldn't be stronger than a healthy growing 14 year old boy. Got so upset with him after putting in his new bed set became a comedy of errors. He kept stumbling, knocked over the television. I yelled at him that he was going to take boxing classes and weight training. This also comes a week after his younger cousin, who is a clear foot shorter than him shocked him in the eye and floored him. He did nothing! His eye was hideous! After we were in the car he started screaming about how his going to beat up his cousin. He claims he didn't at the time because something or the other. He also acknowledged that his temperament is milder than that- it's true he is very passive, but he plays around too much and doesn't take social clues too well- causing aggressive, street savvy boys to punch him square in his face. Perhaps I made him wimpy-not much male influence. HELP!!! Want to know of good gyms in Philly that cater to youth and are inexpensive. 14 year was upset said I taught him better than to fight-I said but you have to defend yourself and have enough self-respect to protect and ....oh whatever, so frustrated found this website and I am asking for help. He starts high school this year and will be traveling alone on public transportation.Aaarrrgghhh!!! His grandmom is stronger than him! Don't mean to be negative, but so upset and frustrated need to vent. His reflexes are a bit slow and he lacks a bit of coordination, so he does a lot of tripping (this is actually getting better though). Often people call him old man, but it is nothing wrong with him physically. He says I don't love him because I want him to learn how to box and I complain about his lack of brawn. Help!!!!

mummummum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
I have absolutely no idea what is going on in this thread...

Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
As a parent myself here are some things I have done:

Concentrate on a few sports activities (don't forget swimming) to build self confidence.

I make martial arts optional, only if the kid is interested.

Dont forget vocabulary/word games such as Boggle that anyone can play - any age.

It is all about building confidence!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 PM

377 posts, read 666,876 times
He may benefit from Big Brothers:

BBBS Southeastern Pennsylvania, BBBSSEPA, Big Brothers Big Sisters Southeastern PA – serving Philadelphia, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia