Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

I've become really interested in Philadelphia lately, and I'd like to know if the regional rail there, where separate lines combine in the city and run on the same track, become frequent enough to serve as more of a traditional in-city transit system. Both the BART in SF and Oakland as well as the DC metro within DC itself basically function like that while outside those cities they function as more standard commuter rail.

If Philly doesn't currently do this, does it seem like it could implement this pretty easily (such as adding more stations where more than one line is served in the city)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Why would Philly want to do that? The Regional Rail system is separate then the inner City system. On a sad note Septa's Backwards ness has resulted in the closing of 153 Regional Rail stations and about 5 inner city lines. On a Happy Note Septa hopes to restore at least 140 stations and 3 inner city lines , but this is septa were talking about.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:18 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
.... On a sad note Septa's Backwards ness has resulted in the closing of 153 Regional Rail stations and about 5 inner city lines. On a Happy Note Septa hopes to restore at least 140 stations and 3 inner city lines...
That's very old news. Like ten + years old. Unless we all completely missed some recent major announcement.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
That's very old news. Like ten + years old. Unless we all completely missed some recent major announcement.
Whats old news?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:43 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've become really interested in Philadelphia lately, and I'd like to know if the regional rail there, where separate lines combine in the city and run on the same track, become frequent enough to serve as more of a traditional in-city transit system. Both the BART in SF and Oakland as well as the DC metro within DC itself basically function like that while outside those cities they function as more standard commuter rail.

If Philly doesn't currently do this, does it seem like it could implement this pretty easily (such as adding more stations where more than one line is served in the city)?
There are other rail options in Philadelphia than Regional Rail. Think of it as being more similar to Chicago with the L and Metra. There's already in-city transit. Sure, you can take RR to get a few places within the city, but you are more likely to take the subway or the trolleys (light rail).

No idea what the other poster is talking about, closing 153 stations would mean that Regional Rail has closed down completely and I think we would have heard about it...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Septa does both a good job and bad job, though most of the reginal rail is servicing the fringe of the city proper and moreso the suburbs, of which certain areas are covered much better. The one good thing the regional rail does is combine all thru traffic into the core and all regional rail line converge in the core with 3 main stops that provide great access to the downtown core (30th Street, Suburban Station, and Market East) Also there is limited subway service that does ok where it goes but is lacking in some areas. 30th street links with Amtrak, NJT, and subway surface lines. Suburban links with Subway lines and subway surface lines, Walnut Street links with PATCO. There are also some light rail lines that connect with the Subway at 69th Street terminal at the border of Philadelphia and Upper Darby and Septa regional rail at the norristown Station

Here is map though this is hard to see exactly how it aligns with the city and burbs

Old 08-17-2010, 08:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Also to further answer your question, although there is some aged infrastructure and old stops, much of where the regional runs together is close to area already served subway lines (maybe was original through-ways, not sure), I actually think Philly could do a little better with some additional intercity stops to capatilize on the existing infrastructure but would likely be better served with additional rail options (more subway like) to poorer served inter city areas. Or even light-rail/trolleys. I often thought it would be great for a loop trolley that would run around the core and give better rail options to places like Pennsport, Queen Village, Deleware Ave (Think they call it Columbus Blvd now but will always De Ave to me) Vine and/or Girard and into the Art Musuem area - then maybe some feeder lines extending into South Philly, NE Philly and North Philly but just a fleeting thought. When I lived in QV access to rail was poor considering it is mostly considered a center city neighborhood even if South of South St, though that are has no regional rail in any proximity.

The rail option along the waterfront would also allow further development of an area that for the most part remains old and many times abandoned warehouses with prime waterfron real estate and pretty good proximity to the core. That infrastructure could give this area a huge jump start, it dies since I95 was finished and basically walled it from the city in many locales. ok sorry for so much info...

BTW I agree on METRO and even MARTA in Atl (though i do not know the SF trans as well but have used a handful of times) or even the Blue line in Chicago that these are sort of hybrid, probably more close to the future types that work better, almost best of both worlds for regional and core coverage.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:37 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
A better comparison to SEPTA's Regional Rail line would be CalTrain as well as MARC(MD) and VRE (VA). All three are commuter lines that connect the suburbs with the city. As others have stated, there are indeed other rail lines within the city. This would be comparable to Muni in SF. DC's Metrorail IMO acts as a more comfortable extended subway, perhaps not unlike like the Route 100 High Speed Line.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:22 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Quote:
Whats old news?
...closing of 153 Regional Rail stations. When did that happen, (what year)?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Why would Philly want to do that? The Regional Rail system is separate then the inner City system. On a sad note Septa's Backwards ness has resulted in the closing of 153 Regional Rail stations and about 5 inner city lines. On a Happy Note Septa hopes to restore at least 140 stations and 3 inner city lines , but this is septa were talking about.
I'm confused by this unless you're purposely exaggerating. Very few Regional Rail stations have closed over the last 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia