Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I moved to Philadelphia about two weeks ago from Brooklyn, NY and am approximately three months pregnant. I am looking to get out of the city (currently near Northern Liberties) and into a community where we can afford to buy a house with a yard and three bedrooms. My husband and I would love a detached house, in a community with some sort of Main Street. I have been researching online like crazy, and seem to be more drawn to the Chestnut Hill, Manayunk sort of areas, but am not seeing lots of detached houses in our price range (250ish). Any suggestions for looking in these areas or other areas that might be similar? Has anyone heard of Wyncote? My husband works from home, and I will be commuting into Chinatown in the city (I am a teacher). Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated, this is our first time buying and I really want to make the right decision. Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:37 AM

316 posts, read 1,015,974 times
Wyncote is a great area, its in Cheltenham Twp & SD. Its a very nice area, but it doesn't have a Main Street or downtown. However, its very close to both Jenkintown and Glenside, areas that do have that. Depending on where in Wyncote you are, then you could be within walking distance of one of their downtowns. You'll be priced out just barely in Jenkintown and Glenside for the most part for a detached SFH in terms of getting to an area that is walking distance to the Main Streets. If you just want a house that is near these things not necessarily walking distance, look in the rest of Abington and Cheltenham Twps.

Another area to search in - Ambler. It has a nice downtown area and there will be some homes in Ambler Borough within your price range. Homes you find will likely be within walking distance of the downtown.

Those are all suburbs of the city, for within the city. Chestnut Hill is a great area. No, you're not going to find anything detached there for $250k, probably not even $400k. Manayunk doesn't have many detached homes, just not the common architecture there. You can look next to Manayunk though. East Falls might have a detached or two in your price range, but I'd guess not much, I think detached there is more $400+ but no harm in looking. But Roxborough will likely have several. Roxborough sits just above Manayunk, its a nice residential area, family feel. Depending on where you are and how much you like to walk, you can be within walking distance of Main Street in Manayunk.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,180 times
Thanks so much for the great reply. We are going to check out these areas this weekend!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:43 PM

212 posts, read 610,560 times
You might want to check out Collingswood or Audubon NJ
PATCO is nearby and will take you to 8th & Market

Old 08-21-2010, 09:50 PM

36 posts, read 97,413 times
Default bridesburg

Look at the Bridesburg neighborhood. 19137 zip. Best grade school in the city! Two charter schools going up. Small town feel 15 mins from center city.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 AM

118 posts, read 283,777 times
Your best bet for the most active town area is Ambler and it's surrounds. You can find affordable housing, detached with a yard, in the Borough or in nearby Whitpain Township (Ambler-Blue Bell mailing addresses). Wyncote is a lovely place, ditto for Jenkintown and Glenside. Here is the problem....Wyncote is in Cheltenham township, and so is part of Glenside....The taxes there are considerably higher than any other place. You will find Wyncote somewhat overpriced for that reason. If you like Glenside...be sure to be on the Abington Township side - also Blue Ribbon Schools. Ambler Borough gets a little more vibrant every year. It is where Glenside and Jenkintown were many years ago. I think you would like it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 12,182 times
Don't forget Mount Airy inside of the city, specifically West or Upper East Mount Airy's. Lots of single homes fairly priced. West Mount Airy has direct access to the Wissahickon Creek and Park and Mount Airy has a "Main Street" in Downtown Mount Airy along Germantown Avenue. Area is culturally and racially diverse and there is lots of green space. You also have the benefit of two train lines that run directly into downtown (R7 and R8) and is only 20 minutes to downtown by car. Area is worth taking a look at.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
Mount airy is a fun neighborhood. Though in the 250K range, you'd likely be looking at a row home (I have a friend who just bought there. Row homes were going in the 300K and up range).

One area you might consider is Drexel Hill, specifically the Aronimink area of Drexel Hill. There are single family homes there in the upper 200, lower 300 range that would fit your description, the architecture of the homes are really beautiful (stone, tudor, etc), and it is a really nicely maintained section. The two drawback are that the high school isn't all that highly rated (which is likely why the homes are more affordable) and the property taxes can be high. But the commute into the city wouldn't be too bad and you'd be close to the amenities in Media and the Main Line.

Last edited by templeu; 08-25-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Cheltenham Twp has very high taxes which would probably explain the lower property values. While the city has the wage tax, that's linked to your wages not your property. In other words, if you make 45k a year you coudl actually be taxed more lliving in cheltenham twp than the city (most likely this is the case since you will be working in the city and paying most of the tax anyway). city has high wage taxes and low property taxes. you could find a decent twin in jenkintown I think, which has a decent town center. Mt. Airy definitely has rows and some twins in your price range, particularly in east mt. airy. you could also live in the northeast or delco where a small detached house might be in your price range. twins are more common in that range (a side benefit is usually lower utility costs than a detached home)

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
I would add Conshohocken, Phoenixville, Media to your list as well...if you were going to look at Drexel Hill, check out Pilgrim Gardens section - Haverford schools are way way way better than Upper Darby...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia